Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

got a evo, basic questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:32 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmosser
Okay well my buddie has a 8 and has only used that. So i trust him plus i start work tomorrow and have to drive about half a hour. I wanted fresh fluids. I will be using diaqueen in the diff and t case though.
Makes sense. Why search the largest Evolution database on the planet and note the multitude of correlated events, when a buddy can dispense advice just as easily?

Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Makes sense. Why search the largest Evolution database on the planet and note the multitude of correlated events, when a buddy can dispense advice just as easily?

+1 on that FJF.

Most shops which have been through countless tranmissions swear by this stuff, so going in another direction is definitely a risk IMO.

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Mits..._9-1056-1.html

Even on STM's site, they stress that it is the ONLY fluid you should be using.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...rans_fluid.htm

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...s/diaqueen.htm

If you're going on evoM to get advice, it kind of makes no sense for you to go in the opposite direction of what we are saying and listen to your friend as FJF mentioned.

Good luck regardless, just keep an eye on your transmission and the whining.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill use this for 5,000 miles or so and swap it with oem and see what it likes better.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well after lots of reading i got curious and tried launching my car today. First time i let go of the clutch too fast it spun all 4 than second time sliped it too slow and over revved it.

Now i notice at a stop its kinda difficult to get into gears. They won't wanna go in so i have to pump the clutch or firmy put them in. It has a exedy cermetallic twin disc clutch. Maybe its just me and tomorrow its fine but shifts smooth once i get going. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Bump

Heres a vid of the whine dis regaurd the squeak from my wet shoe when pressing the clutch and road noise at the end (was a rainy day)

Note when shifting at higher rpm 3,000/4,000 i don't hear it so much in third and fourth. And as you see/hear it tottaly goes away once i reach fifth no matter what rpm.

EDIT:

Heres a little better video, taken from a iphone 4

click to watch

Last edited by Tmosser; Aug 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:26 PM

Beautiful car man!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car used to stall when i bought it too , just shut right off , there are 2 things that affect that , the tune ( adjustments on the computer ) and the idle air circuit motor ( theres a nick name for it . , My car after tuned by E-Spec never stalled again , unless it was me still getting used to the tilton twin disc , by the way your car looks awesome , your clutch might need to be bled one more time if its difficult to shift . Good Luck
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

I'm a little late with the congrats... I just picked up my IX on June 6 (34K miles) and I just LOVE IT! Glad you're in the Evo community on MN. Have you joined EvoMN? Mine has similar bolt on's to get me to around the same numbers and it's just an amazing ride. Unfortunately mine is now in storage for the harsh MN. winter.

I too want to get it tuned and then MAP converted to e85, but i'm 3 hours from any tuning shops, I want to go with Ron at RS Motors, he's been REALLY awesome at helping me out when I was searching/researching Evos. It took me 2 1/2 years to find my low mileage WW IX.

You stated you're pretty far from the tuning shops, where are you located?

You're friend with the black VIII, was it purchased recently from Wisconsin? It looks similar to one I saw up for sale about a year and a half ago...

Welcome!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought an evo 8 recently as well and it makes sort of the same noise but i was under the impression that was normal with manual transmissions i dont really have a clue tho
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

It honestly sounds like the infamous transfercase whine (you can compare with other videos of this sound on youtube). Unless you have solid motor/tranny mounts, I would watch your transfercase carefully.

I hate to say I told you so as well, but it definitely could be the fluids you decided to run on your t-case/tranny as well.

Hope it works out keep us posted.