Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

got a evo, basic questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got a evo, basic questions

Well I finally found a evo I wanted and got it, Its a 2006 WW 9 with the ssl package. I love the car, just got some basic questions on keeping it in top shape.

1. The prevous owner said he used ams oil 10w-40, is that what a lot of members are using? Correct weight?

2. What do you guys recommend to use in the transmission, rear dif, and transfer case?

3. I hear a quiet whine sometimes in every gear but 5th. Sometimes it does it sometimes it does, only under acel. Is that normal? A friend has a 8 and said his only does it in first and second.

4. The car was tuned with bolt ons s2 cams it made 333whp/314wtq but some reason every time I come to a stop downshifting usually only happens in 2nd the car will kill. The previous said it was the injectors because of their size (idk what size they are) I think 1050. It was tuned on pump gas.I dont see why it would do that, any other suggestions? It starts back up right away, doesnt always die but sometimes does. It doesnt have a wideband yet, so I cant tell if its running too rich.

Heres some pics of my new whip! enjoy

Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
use redline MT90 in the trans.
Redline heavy in the T/C

Get a retune to solve your stalling issue

Change youre tail lights to Evo 7's (personal opinion)

THEN LEAVE THE CAR ALONE

Perfect daily for YEARS to come.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

BTW, car looks amazing!
LOVE White Evo's!!!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by siceclipse
use redline MT90 in the trans.
Redline heavy in the T/C

Get a retune to solve your stalling issue

Change youre tail lights to Evo 7's (personal opinion)

THEN LEAVE THE CAR ALONE

Perfect daily for YEARS to come.
I will leave the stock tails, I like them. but thanks for the suggestion.
I do plan on getting it tuned on E85 and a map switch to get it tuned on preimum as well. And thats it, I love the car how it is, and just wanted a fun realiable daily car. I wonder how many white ssl ix's were made? Is there anything special about this car, i didnt know the ssl ix came with blisten struts? was there options on them?

Also, I was told these have a no lift to shift(WOT) feature how would I enable that?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmosser
I love the car how it is, and just wanted a fun realiable daily car.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Let's see if you still stand by that statement in a couple weeks...the mod bug is hard to resist.

Enjoy the new car
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Whats wrong with having a occasionally autoX car and using it for a dd ? Or are you implying evos aren't reliable...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:30 PM

if you dont like the tailight, then ill buy them.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:10 AM

If the car doesn't have wideband, I really doubt it was tuned. Maybe the injectors were setup so the would idle and run halfway decent. But I just don't see it getting tuned without a wideband.

I would suggest a wideband, and tactrix cable be your first 2 purchases, then see about getting an e-tune unless there is a tuner in your area.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Love your evo !! I also have a ww evo ix but didn't cone with jdm rear. If intrested on selling pm me
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a dyno sheet.. I emailed db and gave them the last seven digits of the vin to verify its the car. And it is this car. I replied and asked about the injectors and such.

Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

But yes i do plan on getting it re tuned for e 85

I am wondering if these get ptb (part throttle boost) it seems like when i give it half throttle it wants to spike boost.. I know srts got them and it is very bad. Maybe my ams mbc causing it? Mbc on srt stock turbo did it.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tanro
If the car doesn't have wideband, I really doubt it was tuned. Maybe the injectors were setup so the would idle and run halfway decent. But I just don't see it getting tuned without a wideband.

I would suggest a wideband, and tactrix cable be your first 2 purchases, then see about getting an e-tune unless there is a tuner in your area.
how does not having a wideband mean your not tuned? most shops have a wideband on site to tune you car if you dont have one
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Yes. I know the place that tuned it (db performance) has a Wideband they put in even if you have a Wideband they still put it in your car for tuning
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. The prevous owner said he used ams oil 10w-40, is that what a lot of members are using? Correct weight?

Mobil 1 10w30 OEM specs has been working great for me.

2. What do you guys recommend to use in the transmission, rear dif, and transfer case?

Use all OEM fluids, I can't stress that enough going with anything else is a big risk. I know guys that have messed up with trannys running other brands other than OEM.

3. I hear a quiet whine sometimes in every gear but 5th. Sometimes it does it sometimes it does, only under acel. Is that normal? A friend has a 8 and said his only does it in first and second.

Out of all the Evos I have driven or rode in most trannys whine slightly in 1st and 2nd. If it gets really bad at throttle, you may be in for a rebuild, but try changing your fluids to OEM first.

4. The car was tuned with bolt ons s2 cams it made 333whp/314wtq but some reason every time I come to a stop downshifting usually only happens in 2nd the car will kill. The previous said it was the injectors because of their size (idk what size they are) I think 1050. It was tuned on pump gas.I dont see why it would do that, any other suggestions? It starts back up right away, doesnt always die but sometimes does. It doesnt have a wideband yet, so I cant tell if its running too rich.

Get the car tuned at a reputable shop to make sure everything was done right.

Also you have JDM evo 8/9 tails, they look great on your car and it looks like a bonus your car came with a JDM rear too! That's almost $1600 most Evo owners would have to spend right there!

Quick Reply: got a evo, basic questions