Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hi all ... New Evo X owner here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all ... New Evo X owner here

Hi guys ... Just got my Evo X 2012 GSR two days ago. So excited and thrilled driving it.

As newbie around here, I read most of the tuning threads just to make sure not to ask stupid questions or drive you nuts LOL. But I really looking for tuning my car for a daily driver use, and would really appreciate your help and support.

My first car is 2010 C63 (420 Rear WHP) , I tuned it responsibly so I don't have any problems with any part of the car.

What I'm planning to do with my Evo is get it around 550-580 engine HP (maybe around 430 WHP). And I'll try to keep the OEM parts in the car is much as I can (I know it would be hard specially when my target is 550 HP ). But I'm trying to avoid any engine failure due to buying and installing any part just to show off.

I'll be glad if anyone guide me to step-by-step modding plan (either to provide threads in this forum, or recommend a tuner or tuning kit that fulfill my objective).

This is video from turbotrix project that I liked their Evo sound. Some comments saying it's a bad thing BOV fluttering. But I'd like to have my Evo to sound like.

Here are my two rides (the Honda is for my neighbor)

Thank you all for your contribution in this forum, it's really rich with good knowledge .

Clichere1
San Jose, CA
Old Aug 6, 2012, 02:30 AM

Forgot to mention that I'm planning to keep my car for the next 5 years, and I'll hit the track once a month just for fun NOT for racing.

cheers
Old Aug 6, 2012, 08:23 AM

Congrats! Welcome to the club.
Hey, where is your front lip? I don't see one...did it fall off on the way home? Haha
Your target goal is reachable but you'd want to build up your engine and I think if you mash on the gas you might blow a tranny...450 is easily attainable with simple bolt-on mods and a tune. And you'd be able to keep the engine internals stock. If you went E85 you easy boost up to 30 psi and gain 450. I'd keep checking the forums to see how much a safe HP rating is for our tranny's.

GL with your goal and enjoy the ride
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:59 PM

Thanx man for the advice. Then I would probably change my target to 540 then.

Originally Posted by hawaiianstyle
Congrats! Welcome to the club.
Hey, where is your front lip? I don't see one...did it fall off on the way home? Haha
Your target goal is reachable but you'd want to build up your engine and I think if you mash on the gas you might blow a tranny...450 is easily attainable with simple bolt-on mods and a tune. And you'd be able to keep the engine internals stock. If you went E85 you easy boost up to 30 psi and gain 450. I'd keep checking the forums to see how much a safe HP rating is for our tranny's.

GL with your goal and enjoy the ride
Old Aug 6, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

from my understanding you cant go over 400 hp/tq without building the motor and changing the internals.

Glad to see another evo owner

As for modding, getting that power out of the car you will need to go to a different turbo and all bolt-ons. Once that is done a good tune and you're set.

Here is a good thread someone posted earlier asking all the questions you need answered

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-whp-goal.html

Last edited by EvoLoverForever; Aug 6, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely recommend going with a dual-map tune for e85 and your **** cali 91. This will save you thousands upon thousands of dollars it would take to do a full build, but it would still offer a ton of fun.

mods?

fuel pump - walbro 255
injectors - FIC 1100
Intake - (not 3.5" for easier/more reliable tuning)
Downpipe/02 housing - get a one piece and save the troubles (map)
test pipe - any test pipe that fits
3" exhaust - pick your fav
UICP - not terribly needed, but saves you from future flexing
3 port boost controller - Grimmspeed
catch can - if you want

With these mods, you will be able to run e85 on the stock FMIC since it burns much cooler. You can hit 400whp/400wtq. I would recommend this route for cost and driveability. If I had to mod the X myself, I would have done this. I bought mine with these same mods plus and intercooler and piping and cams. Cams arent necessary with the stock turbo though. Manipulation of MIVEC by a competent tuner should yield great results. Hit up TSCOMPUSA

With a tephra rom tune, you will be able to switch from 91 to e85 by the push of your cruise control button. Although your 91 numbers will be weak compared to e85 ... there really is no reason to not run e85.

congrats!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 03:36 AM

Thanx for the help. I will do my homework and do alot of research before deciding which route to take. I appriciate helping me looking over threads that full with answers. I hope there are more in the forum.

I might go for a turbo kit if it can be the suitable solution from price and accountability view point.

Originally Posted by EvoLoverForever
from my understanding you cant go over 400 hp/tq without building the motor and changing the internals.

Glad to see another evo owner

As for modding, getting that power out of the car you will need to go to a different turbo and all bolt-ons. Once that is done a good tune and you're set.

Here is a good thread someone posted earlier asking all the questions you need answered

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-whp-goal.html
Old Aug 7, 2012, 03:37 AM

I'm going for a vacation for three weeks, so I might join when I come back.

Wow, didn't realize you guys were in Cali. We should try to get an Evo meet going. I'm in alameda.
Also, are you guys gonna hit up HIN @ San Mateo?

And if you guys need any parts let me know
Old Aug 7, 2012, 03:51 AM

Thank you for the elaboration. I'll go ahead and do a research on your list which seems easy to begin with. But I'm more towards buying a package or a kit which make me more relaxed of buying a full solution (if there's any )

regarding the fuel , currently I'm running 91 with no reason (I was thinking it should give more gains). But eventually, I'll be running 97 when take the car back home (Qatar - google it ).

So I'm planning to mod the car so it can be usable with that fuel. We have less octane but I wonder what you guys recommend in terms of efficiency. I don't mind pay more if it's safer for the car.

Originally Posted by prowakeskater
I would definitely recommend going with a dual-map tune for e85 and your **** cali 91. This will save you thousands upon thousands of dollars it would take to do a full build, but it would still offer a ton of fun.

mods?

fuel pump - walbro 255
injectors - FIC 1100
catch can - if you want

With these mods, you will be able to run e85 on the stock FMIC since it burns much cooler. You can hit 400whp/400wtq. I would recommend this route for cost and driveability. If I had to mod the X myself, I would have done this. I bought mine with these same mods plus and intercooler and piping and cams. Cams arent necessary with the stock turbo though. Manipulation of MIVEC by a competent tuner should yield great results. Hit up TSCOMPUSA

With a tephra rom tune, you will be able to switch from 91 to e85 by the push of your cruise control button. Although your 91 numbers will be weak compared to e85 ... there really is no reason to not run e85.

congrats!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 03:53 AM

BTW , what do u mean? should 2012 evos comes with front lip , I didn't see it when it's in the dealership
Old Aug 7, 2012, 06:42 AM

I thought all evo's had lips but I'm beginning to see that they don't so I'm happy mine does
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:16 AM

I done my homework and I found my self infront of two paths:

IS - Intake System - aFe Pro Dry Cold Intake $220 /
EM - Exhaust Manifolds - MAP Tubular EM $900
BC - Boost Controller - GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost 3-Port $105
FI - Fuel Injectors - FIC 1100 cc $495 / MAP 1000 cc - $410
FP - Fuel Pump - Walbro 255 lph - $150
TP - Test Pipe - MAP TP $175
DP - Down Pipe - MAP O2 Eliminator DP $370
Cobb Access Port Evo X $595
Shifter Bushing - Shifter Console Bushing $37 & Shifter Cable Bushing Hybrid $47
Lowering Springs - Megan Racing lowering springs $128

total damage = $3,137

2nd Path , is going for a full kit instead:

MAP T3 Turbo kit - $3,700
ETS T3 Turbo Kit - $4,000
AMS Stage 2 (FMI, UIP, TP, ECU flash) - $1,700 ... I would add Intake system, DP, LIP with this option
AMS 750X Turbo Kit - $5,400

I'm not sure if I need other parts that should support the turbo kit like injectors and fuel pump, so I hope you could advice me what's the best route to go for. I'm not planning to keep tuning my car. I would stick with 400WHP for the next 5 years.

Furthermore, in 6 months I'll be using 97oc fuel in my country, and wonder if this should affect my decision.

I'll be glad of you guide me.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Avoid the full kit, I've found staying with a stock location setup to be the most comfortable and easiest to set up.

Although I do miss the big runners of the T4 Full-Race Manifold, their stock location manifolds still look awesome haha

The plan Prowakeskater posted sounds pretty solid.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Aug 30, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
fuel pump - walbro 255
injectors - FIC 1100

The ONLY thing I would change there would be to grab up a DW65C drop in pump. Flows 265 versus the 255, however it is a drop in pump...meaning it doesn't require the typical adapter kits and etc...so you can save in excess of 100.00 dollars going that route, get a quieter pump and will outflow the 255...it's winning across the board.

Stay south of the 450WHP mark or so...the weak link on the engine are the connecting rods..I'll spare you the gory details, but if you plan to break that mark, build before you destroy your motor to save yourself the cost of a very expensive core.

Nate
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
416whp reliable daily-driver here! My build thread should give you some good ideas:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...er-gheyer.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-pump-gas.html

Quick Reply: Hi all ... New Evo X owner here