Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Thinking of switching, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of switching, a few questions

Hello Community,

I am planning to trade in my 11' STi for a brand new 2012 Mitsubishi Evo X; however I have a few questions. I am stuck between getting either the MR edition or GSR. I live in the states. I realize that the GSR are 5spd, whereas the MR is 6spd TCC with paddle shifters. Does the MR edition have a stick shift center console as an option? Besides the driving mechanism; are there big differences between the GSR version from the MR edition? What seems to be the favorable choice between the new versions for the evolution x? Can it be comparable to the WRX version versus the STi? Are TCC the new way to go for sports cars for the future? Thanks, I've become too paranoid regarding the USDM STi about its ringland issues; why buy a 30k car and not push it?

Steve
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

The MR comes standard with the SST, Blistein shocks, BBS wheels, leather trimmed seats and a couple of other goodies. The Brembo brakes might be a little more sophisticated, as well (two-piece rotors). The GSR comes standard with a 5-speed manual transmission. Navi, and aero kit and SSS is available with the GSR. Navi and bluetooth are an option on the MR. The MR has a center console that's just like any automatic car.

They are not comparable like the WRX and the STI. Both the MR and GSR are comparable to the STI whereas the Ralliart is more comparable to the WRX.

Obviously the 5-Speed is more fun, but thats a personal preference. It depends on what you want. For traffic areas, a MR is better suited. Here's some pros and cons.

GSR -
Pros
--the 5MT will take more toque than the SST
--Use of a clutch /cheer
--Less weight
--Lower price for the car

Cons
--5th gear ratio is annoying if you commute at 75-80mph. It's like 3800revs
--Manual Trans in traffic

MR
Pros
--Shifts faster than any human can.
--More family friendly if you share your car with a spouse?

Cons
--If something breaks the cost is pretty high
--Limited on the power you can make (the going accepted point is like 350-360tq)
--Base price on the car is higher
--Might want to upgrade your trans cooler

This is stuff you get with the MR that is simply not available with any package on the GSR

--2pc rotors
--automatic windshield wipers
--color matched exterior trim and chrome accents
--BBS wheels
--heated side mirrors

Options available on the GSR that used to only be on the MR but will cost more in packages
--Sun and Leather (heated seats, but top grain leather, not suede like the MR, IMO top grain is better)
--SSS now includes the sound deadening like the MR had

Last edited by xTiCkxMYxLaInTx; Sep 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:39 AM

xTiCkxMYxLaInTx,

Thank you very much for the elaborate response. I can now see the difference between the two. I guess the next thing for me is to drive them. Thanks again!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

That is your best bet. Drive them both and see which one suits your needs. Best of luck!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

I have both... You can't go wrong either way. If you do heavy commuting the MR might be the way to go. I prefer the manual just because well its a manual, that being said I often find myself grabbing my wife's MR keys. I don't drive Evo's for the luxury features my GSR is the base rock bottom no frills model. The MR is a 2008 but has all the features available from 2008. I love the in dash electronics they are better than the 2011 Audi I had before functionally. The Bluetooth is not as clear but the touch screen is great, probably better now. The cars are reasonably comfortable but not really plush at all. Not so different than the Subie I'm sure. There is no other reasonably priced car I rather drive that goes for both GSR and MR...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Also to answer a sub-question you had. Both the GSR and MR are more like the STi, where as the Ralliart is more like the WRX as far as performance.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MR no longer comes with leather trimming on the seats.

The "SSS" package does not exist anymore. It's just sight and sound. Spoiler comes standard on the GSRs and the SS package does not come with sound deadening. This only comes with the sunroof and leather package.

Last edited by SpardaVR4; Sep 7, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 08:31 AM

The older crowd goes for the MR, the younger crowd likes the GSR.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

I may be the only one but after a year and a half with my MR I have a hard time believing the GSR is that much funner then the MR. It seems like the car is always in boost. People just need to get over the "stigma" of not having a clutch. At the same time I'm not after massive amounts of power. I'm looking for a balanced/fun street car. Kind of what I had in my VIII before I traded it in.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

to me driving with manual trans that has a clutch isn't "stigma" it's about feeling a certain obtainable emotion while driving. The cost of replacing the SST scares the **** out of me too.