Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

advice on buying a evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice on buying a evo

So i decided to part my talon out in order to get a Evo 8. I have been talking to this guy about his evo for about a month now but im not sure what i am gone to have in my hand. pretty much the balance shaft bearing went bad and split so he decided to go with the stubby balance shaft delete. After the deleted he cleaned the oil pump and strainer but now the car has a knock. the bad part is where he pulled the bearing he jb welded the new bearing back in because it was loose and now when its in boost the oil light comes on dim plus its a noticeable knock. hes asking $8500 for it so its in my price range.

Now my question is. Do you think it is worth it? I know at the least it needs the bottom to be rebuilt or a new block at the most a evo 8 engine. I just don't know if its worth it or not the car has all maintenance from the dealer with only 86,000 miles. the body i would say a 8/10 and the interior 7/10 plus the car has been completly stock other then the delete.

I just really need some experts advice thanks for the help.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Did i just read correctly...JB weld was involved while installing bearings? I can only imagine what else was done...id run far away. Or offer him 7k and take the risk.

PS, if you pass it up, pass the info this way, i might be interested in slapping a new motor in it.

Thanks
Alex
Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:55 PM

where would be a good place to find a motor for it? also the balance shaft delete was the only thing he did. The story is that the car was his brother in-law's car. It was smoking so they took it to the dealer. well the dealer said it was the turbo and wanted to charge $3'000 to put a new one on so he researched it and found out it was the balance shaft so he make a agreement to buy the car and fix it himself and sell it to make a profit. So long story short he did the delete but had to jb weld the stud in where the bearing sat. It stopped smoking then oneday he decided to start it up and take a ride then while in boost the oil light came on dim. He took the car home and let it run thats when he heard the knock.

Does it need a complete motor or just a bottom end?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Put up some pictures of it including the engine bay. It might be worth putting another engine in if the one that's in it is bad. You can find one on here they always pop up in the fs section.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:19 PM

that is the video of it i dont have the pictures because he removed the thread.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

You would need a short block or just have the one in it rebuilt. The head should be fine.... Unless he went jb weld karazy. Lol
Old Oct 5, 2012, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

Just a short block. But I don't even hear a knock in that video