Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

What to expect with a high mileage EVO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to expect with a high mileage EVO

I have a 2006 EVO 9 MR with 128,000 miles on it, mostly freeway. Nothing has really gone wrong with it yet except the clutch. I just replaced the stock clutch at 115,000 miles. Lasted a long time. The car is great but I'm worried that things will start breaking because of all the miles it has. MR parts are a lot more expensive than normal EVO parts so I'm wondering if I should sell it befor something major breaks and bankrupts me. Anyone know what to expect with a high mileage EVO MR thats all stock?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:25 AM

It's all on how you treat the car... Expect the typical wear and tear/maintenance items in the future (wheel bearings, tie rods, brakes etc.) Have you had the timing belt and balance shaft belt replaced yet? Fluids changed?

Last edited by 323gtr1993; Oct 21, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WEB187
I have a 2006 EVO 9 MR with 128,000 miles on it, mostly freeway. Nothing has really gone wrong with it yet except the clutch. I just replaced the stock clutch at 115,000 miles. Lasted a long time. The car is great but I'm worried that things will start breaking because of all the miles it has. MR parts are a lot more expensive than normal EVO parts so I'm wondering if I should sell it befor something major breaks and bankrupts me. Anyone know what to expect with a high mileage EVO MR thats all stock?

Your car is the same as any other USDM IX, save for its transmission and the Bilstein struts.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If your stock clutch lasted 115k, that EVO has had a very good life so far. I wouldn't expect anything "disastrous" around the corner if you've kept up the maintenance (tbelt, water pump, plugs, fluids, etc...) One thing I'm going to do on my next oil change is send an oil sample out to Blackstone Labs. $25 and they can at least give me a "peek" into how my engine is wearing. I figure it's worth it...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:33 AM

I have kept up with the maintiance and fluids pretty good. How often should I change the fluid in my differentials? I put better quality fluid in them that is susposed to last way longer than the OEM fluid but I'm not sure. I treat my car really good and have never launched it. That's prob why stock clutch lasted so long. Only bad thing is that my car has been outside for the last year and I prob won't have a garage for a while. So it's exposed to the elements and all the rain drops in through my hood vent onto my engine.

That black stone lab testing sounds good. Do you just mail them your oil or do they send you a special container for it?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, stock OEM Diaqueen is recommended for T-case and rear diff above all aftermarket options outside of maybe Amsoil. I'm going off memory though. If you're not driving it hard it really doesn't make that much of a difference. I have Redline in my diffs but will change back to Diaqueen the next time I do those fluids. I believe the factory service level for non-heavy usage is 30k miles for each.

Blackstone Labs will send you a sample kit that you can mail back to them, however they mention on their site you can use any screw-top container to mail in your sample if you prefer. The test kit is free so I just did that.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here is my list, but every car will be slightly different.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...000-miles.html
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:14 AM

Thanks for all the info!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:12 PM

I got one more question. Is there any way to erase my car's launch control? I have never used it and that's probably why my stock clutch lasted so long. Now that my car has a lot of miles I want to get rid of the launch control and any temptation to use it. All it does is keep my rpm's up at random times when I'm driving. It's annoying. I will be running through the gears wide open and then let off the throttle but the rpm's won't come down fast enough. They will come down, but very slowly like the car is waiting for me to change up another gear and stay with the boost. I want my engine to gain and lose revs as fast as possiable. Even if that means I fall out of the boost range. Would I need to reflash the ecu to get rid of launch controll or is there an easier way? Hope this question isn't too much off topic. I think anyone with high mileage EVO should do this. Launching kills AWD cars, unless they are built or have a dual clutch trans.