Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

03-04 evos in snow?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03-04 evos in snow?

Hello members Im in the market for a lancer evolution but I have some concerns. First question is 03-04 evos excluding the rs model do not have the front helical lsd, I plan on driving my car during the snow, will 03-04 not be as good in the snow compared to the 05-06 model? I know i must have winter tires which isnt a problem, I just dont want to spend 15k or more on a evo 03-04 if it wont be as affective. Any of you guys with 03-04 evos any input? Just my main question is what year would be best in the snow. I get about 3 to 4 feet during heavy winter snow storms in Big Bear, Californa Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Don't over think this. A 2003/2004 with all season tires is incredible in the snow. SO much fun, SO much control. I personally have a 2004 and I used HRI all seasons and couldn't have been more happy. I actually prefer it in the snow over the old F150. Mine isn't a winter car anymore but I will be taking it out on those really snowy days/nights still, when there's so much falling that they don't bother putting salt down, that's when me and the Evo go play.

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Oct 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

You'll be good bro, although I've never driven one on snow, but I will definitely say its a go!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LanEvoDreamer
Hello members Im in the market for a lancer evolution but I have some concerns. First question is 03-04 evos excluding the rs model do not have the front helical lsd, I plan on driving my car during the snow, will 03-04 not be as good in the snow compared to the 05-06 model? I know i must have winter tires which isnt a problem, I just dont want to spend 15k or more on a evo 03-04 if it wont be as affective. Any of you guys with 03-04 evos any input? Just my main question is what year would be best in the snow. I get about 3 to 4 feet during heavy winter snow storms in Big Bear, Californa Thanks
The difference in how they will deal with snow is likely to be very minimal, unless you are plowing through it in a rally. The front LSD in the 2004 RS and all 2005-2006 Evos definitely helps it turn a little sharper, but again, you'll really only notice the difference when pushing the car closer to its limits. Same thing with the ACD.

I do think that the 2005-2006 Evos will be a bit better (again given the front LSD and the ACD), but it's not likely to be very noticeable in day-to-day driving. Besides, even non-WRX/STI Subaru Imprezas with a relatively simple AWD system handle snow just fine.

I remember when the Evo was first released, people on this forum were *****ing about how it wouldn't have ACD or AYC like the overseas models do (even though I'd bet that less than 1% of EvolutionM at that time had ever driven an Evo), but those who were lucky enough to get a taste of the USDM Evos before it was released said that you won't miss those things since it still handles really well.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MarkChamorro
You'll be good bro, although I've never driven one on snow, but I will definitely say its a go!
I was hoping to hear that answer since the 03-04 evos are a lot cheaper than the 05-06. Thanks for your input Mark.

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Don't over think this. A 2003/2004 with all season tires is incredible in the snow. SO much fun, SO much control. I personally have a 2004 and I used HRI all seasons and couldn't have been more happy. I actually prefer it in the snow over the old F150. Mine isn't a winter car anymore but I will be taking it out on those really snowy days/nights still, when there's so much falling that they don't bother putting salt down, that's when me and the Evo go play.
Im really suprised you wouldnt choose the f150 over the evo in snow. Thank you much for your input im going to do some research on the HRI all season tires I really dont want to have to switch tires just for winter and summer. Since you have drivin your evo in the snow any clearance issues that i should be worried about in 3 feet of snow? I mainly want to keep my evo stock but some coilovers wouldnt hurt durring winter time.

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
The difference in how they will deal with snow is likely to be very minimal, unless you are plowing through it in a rally. The front LSD in the 2004 RS and all 2005-2006 Evos definitely helps it turn a little sharper, but again, you'll really only notice the difference when pushing the car closer to its limits. Same thing with the ACD.

I do think that the 2005-2006 Evos will be a bit better (again given the front LSD and the ACD), but it's not likely to be very noticeable in day-to-day driving. Besides, even non-WRX/STI Subaru Imprezas with a relatively simple AWD system handle snow just fine.

I remember when the Evo was first released, people on this forum were *****ing about how it wouldn't have ACD or AYC like the overseas models do (even though I'd bet that less than 1% of EvolutionM at that time had ever driven an Evo), but those who were lucky enough to get a taste of the USDM Evos before it was released said that you won't miss those things since it still handles really well.
Thanks bro! I have seen a bunch of subarus handle well in the snow im glad to know the evo is up to par with the imprezas. I was thinking of buying a STI but the price and how there were already so many on the mountain steered me away from them. As far as the 05-06 handling better in corners is a plus but im sure with the right suspension and modifications the 03-04 can match up with the 05-06 equiped with lsd. The only reason im kind of holding back from buying an evo 8 is because i like the evo9 bumper helical lsd acd and mivec!

well guys thanks for all your input once again, im going to keep my options open hopefully i can find a pretty nice evo 9 but and evo 8 will do just fine.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Im really suprised you wouldnt choose the f150 over the evo in snow. Thank you much for your input im going to do some research on the HRI all season tires I really dont want to have to switch tires just for winter and summer. Since you have drivin your evo in the snow any clearance issues that i should be worried about in 3 feet of snow? I mainly want to keep my evo stock but some coilovers wouldnt hurt durring winter time.
Why is it such a surprise? Unless you need to plow through super deep snow or need a ton of ground clearance (which isn't always the case), there isn't much of a benefit. The weight distribution of pickup trucks with empty beds is far from ideal, especially in situations where you really need grip.

Thanks bro! I have seen a bunch of subarus handle well in the snow im glad to know the evo is up to par with the imprezas. I was thinking of buying a STI but the price and how there were already so many on the mountain steered me away from them. As far as the 05-06 handling better in corners is a plus but im sure with the right suspension and modifications the 03-04 can match up with the 05-06 equiped with lsd. The only reason im kind of holding back from buying an evo 8 is because i like the evo9 bumper helical lsd acd and mivec!
If you can afford a IX, you might as well get one and enjoy the differences along with the likely benefits (i.e. lower mileage, "younger" body and components, etc.). But again, that's not to say that there is anything wrong with the VIII.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never have a problem with my car even in 16inches of northeast snow.

Of course Blizzaks are great!!

Wash the undercarriage after every storm.....
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't care how sophisticated your AWD is or how great your snow tires are, 3 feet of snow will leave you beached and spinning in a low slung car.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Why is it such a surprise? Unless you need to plow through super deep snow or need a ton of ground clearance (which isn't always the case), there isn't much of a benefit. The weight distribution of pickup trucks with empty beds is far from ideal, especially in situations where you really need grip.

If you can afford a IX, you might as well get one and enjoy the differences along with the likely benefits (i.e. lower mileage, "younger" body and components, etc.). But again, that's not to say that there is anything wrong with the VIII.
it suprises me because I have drivin my dad's 99 ford f150 4x4 in the snow and that is more of a ideal truck for the snow than an evo but im sure and evo would do better in the snow then any rwd truck. Yes your right ground clearance really isnt an isssue. Unfortunatly my street is one of the last ones to be plowed so i was just wondering how it would do if it got up to 2ft or more. As far as getting an evo 9 i test drove one last friday and loved it to bad it was beat up so now its just a search on finding a non modifed well taken care of evo.

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Never have a problem with my car even in 16inches of northeast snow.

Of course Blizzaks are great!!

Wash the undercarriage after every storm.....
sweet thanks for your input i guess i should be fine once the streets are plowed

Originally Posted by wjamyers
I don't care how sophisticated your AWD is or how great your snow tires are, 3 feet of snow will leave you beached and spinning in a low slung car.
thats true but it doesnt really worry me too much i just hope i dont have an emergency when its snowing a lot this winter. We really dont get snow more than 3 feet anyway in Twin Peaks.

Last edited by LanEvoDreamer; Oct 23, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

During the 2 winters I drove mine I had Tein lowering springs and never once had a clearance problem. Yes sometimes the snow was deeper than my bumper height but it still wasn't a problem. You do not want coilovers in winter they will get destroyed. If anything get Bilstein HD shocks/struts and maybe some GTWorx springs if you want it more aggressive without much drop and a good overall suspension.

Fusion discontinued the HRI the last I heard, that was a couple years ago.

AWD turbo Evo>top heavy rwd F150. Yes the truck is amazing with 4wd and clearance but how often does 4wd really get used? It's really only for when it's needed.

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Oct 23, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
During the 2 winters I drove mine I had Tein lowering springs and never once had a clearance problem. Yes sometimes the snow was deeper than my bumper height but it still wasn't a problem. You do not want coilovers in winter they will get destroyed. If anything get Bilstein HD shocks/struts and maybe some GTWorx springs if you want it more aggressive without much drop and a good overall suspension.

Fusion discontinued the HRI the last I heard, that was a couple years ago.

AWD turbo Evo>top heavy rwd F150. Yes the truck is amazing with 4wd and clearance but how often does 4wd really get used? It's really only for when it's needed.
your right 4x4 gets used very rarely i used to have a jeep 4x4 all the time and that would kill on gas so thats why im getting the evo i will have awd when needed and better gas mileage than the jeep. As far as lowering it I was just thinking coils since the height could be adjusted. I use to have tein coils on my sc300 and loved the feel. On the postive side Cal Trans doesnt really drop a lot of salt when it snows its mostly gravel where im at, so lowering the car isnt really that important to me.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:40 PM

just a little update fellas i pulled the trigger and bought an 04 evo 8 tramac black ssl package. So far its just stock with a turbo timer. I love the car it handles amazing like no other i hope to get some enkei nt03 since my cheap xxr wheels are ugly and a nice set of coilovers that are dd friendly, I will post up pics later.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Congratulations!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

With the appropriate tires, the Evo will go through some nasty ****. I used to drive mine up into the mountains to go snowboarding, around town in snow storms, etc, and have never had an issue.

Congrats on the new car too

Aaron
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

I actually prefer an all mechanical, no traction control evo XD. No acd, no problem
as for snow I live close to tahoe and all I can say is that the evo outhandles pretty much everything with snow tires. When people drive 25 and its snowing like crazy you get to pass them at 45 like its nothing to our cars

Granted I don't push the evo over my comfort zone, but in an evo the comfort zone is pretty dang big.

Quick Reply: 03-04 evos in snow?