Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2002 | 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

I have the RRM short ram with no heatshield and no scoop and unless it's extremely hot outside there are no noticable disadvantageous. I still feel the same power basically all around until around 9 pm on because of the cool air that seems to float about during that time of the night it's a little more responsive an whatnot.
Old Jul 30, 2002 | 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

think about it. With a CAI that points to the road or a short ram that is under the hood, you're going to get warmer air than if you had a duct feeding ambient air directly from the source (at 80mph even). The duct bypasses any stupid plastic feeder tube that goes to the grill of some small filtered CAI that picks up probably almost as cool air but the angle they're at makes it seem like it would be less responsive. Milliseconds count!!! Even if your CAI goes through the front bumper it won't be as well fed as a short ram with a duct that utilizes the stock air inlet as well as being fed by mostly ambient air, plus the duct allows for cooler overall bay temperatures, now make a deeper one ROB!!!!
Old Jul 30, 2002 | 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

yeah but if you look at the number of people who have installed the hood scoop, i think it's safe to safe people aren't willing to tear a hole in their hood for the RRM intake. the temperatures at 6 inches above the road can't be more than 1 degree than they are at, what is the hood at like 3 feet from the road? (if in fact there is any difference in temp at those distances/heights)
Old Jul 30, 2002 | 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

yeah it can, the temp above the road as well as the piping going into the engine all will be heated up sign. more than the short ram being fed by the coldest possible ambient air. I agree, most people aren't wanting to put holes in their car. It was hard to watch the first cut be made but well worth it.

if ya haven't seen pics check my website

www.geocities.com/phukkem/lancerpage.html

edit, I cleaned up the insulation just haven't upped any new pics lately. I couldn't even tell the insulation was visible till the digicam caught it.
Old Jul 30, 2002 | 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

what is that carbon fiber? damn you brave soul, i would never do that to my ride. now what if you turbo your car and your new filter is in a different spot? i think you might be the only one to install that. also, what did you use to cut the hole?
Old Jul 30, 2002 | 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

yeah it won't be much use if it's tc'ed and the filter is moved, still would provide good cooling for the engine bay. I used an air skill saw and an air sander to do the cuttin. First made a template of the bottom of the scoop to get an idea of how big the hole should be without going too big, then did the insicion with the air skill saw, then smoothed it with the sander, drop in filter with pre cut lead holes for rivets, then rivet it in.
Old Jul 30, 2002 | 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

so don't you get your filter wet when it rains? Do you have to bag it or cover it everytime you wash the car or when it rains?
Old Jul 31, 2002 | 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

i dont think its sucking in any water when the car is off... and i think the filter actually has to be submerged in water for it to intake enough water.....