Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Evolution 2013 lease vs buy:
Lease
26.67%
Buy
73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

2013 Evo Lease vs Buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Evo Lease vs Buy?

I'm looking to get an Evo for my next car this year but I need to know if it is worth to lease for 24 months. Assuming money is not an object.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

I am also wondering this. Does anyone think the South coast deal is good?

2 years/12,000 miles
3000 down
229/month
25,900 residual value
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leasing is not an option for an evo i think since you would definitely mod it. If you're the type of person who could fight the itch to mod it then why not.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:43 AM

$229/month is an attactive number since these cars are well over 40k brand new
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

or get a used one for a lower price instead of new.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:45 AM

payment will be ~$600/month + ~$100-200/month insurance premium. I can lease for $229/month and buy the car at the end of the lease if I want to. You can get 15k miles/year on a lease and I will be driving a brand new evolution for the price of a new honda civic.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea why not lease it, if you do decide to keep it at end of the lease 25k is dirt cheap for 2 year old evo, with only you being the owner . If you decide you don't want the car after the lease, don't return it, sell it to car max you'll get more than 25k
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:19 PM

i just don't understand why people are not taking advantage of this lease program. If you go over your miles or if you have a few scratches on the bumper you won't have to pay anything to the dealership if you're planning to buy the car. This route you will be the only one driving the car off the lot. It's a big piece of mind when you're talking about a sports car.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:16 PM

I sold cars for two years, so here's my two cents:

Leasing is a great option for people who aren't sure where they'll be in a few years, like to switch out cars every so often, don't necessarily drive a whole lot and yes, want a low monthly payment.

BUT.

Leasing is not such a great idea if you plan on adding mods... because you can't. Also, if something happens as far as damage goes or accrued mileage and you in fact DON'T want to keep it, then there are some serious extra fees involved. And if you do decide to keep it after the 2 year lease, you will spend more money on it in the long run than if you were to finance it in the first place. Plus, when you return a leased vehicle, unless you lease another one after, you have to pay a return fee that ranges from manufacturer to manufacturer.

It's an Evo, chances are you're going to love it and want to keep it forever so I suggest you just finance it.... if money is no object
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leasing is like renting. Its just pissing away money.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:03 PM

a lot of misconceptions about leasing...

the residual on Evos is quite good. with this deal, when your lease is up, the market value of your now 2-year-used Evo will be a couple $thousand more than the residual you owe on the car. so even if you don't plan on keeping it, you should buy out the car, THEN turn around and sell it.

this lease deal is crazy good. it's called a subvented/subsidized lease, where the manufacturer essentially pays part of your monthly payment - that's why it's as low as a Civic's. it's like what BMW does to get all those 3 series on the road.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chang_Wufei_05
a lot of misconceptions about leasing...

the residual on Evos is quite good. with this deal, when your lease is up, the market value of your now 2-year-used Evo will be a couple $ thousand more than the residual you owe on the car. so even if you don't plan on keeping it, you should buy out the car, THEN turn around and sell it.

this lease deal is crazy good. it's called a subvented/subsidized lease, where the manufacturer essentially pays part of your monthly payment - that's why it's as low as a Civic's. it's like what BMW does to get all those 3 series on the road.
This is a crazy good deal, the dealerships want to move their Evos so they either offer a very low interest rate or increase the residual value of the car. But I think it'd be a good idea to try and figure out where you'll be in the next couple years... do you think you'll plan on keeping the car... or possibly swapping it out at the end. Because yes, it'd be sweet to have this residual-rich Evo to sell afterwards, but then you have to actually sell it while you go through the process of buying another car and you will never get back the money you initially put down. And if you do plan on keeping it for several years, you will end up paying more out of pocket in the long run for initially low lease payments in the beginning. But if you just want to enjoy a brand new and affordable Evo for only a couple years, then I say go for it, it's a sicknasty deal.