Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

FP Black Build or Sport Bike?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Black Build or Sport Bike?

Ok I own a 2011 GSR...fully loaded (leather, sunroof, navi etc optioned out) with FULLbolt ons currently making roughly 370whp on pump.

I have in my closet a brand new FP Black Dual Ball Bearing (the new ones) and few supporting parts (manifold, injectors, boost controller)...but most engine parts I have not bought yet.

Here is my question to you gentleman or better yet my inquiry on what some of you think....I have the money to with a full 2.0 motor build to support the black...OR I can buy a nice motorcycle which I always wanted. (Suzuki GSX-R) I cannot currently afford to do both...if I did not have the turbo and few other parts on hand this decision might be easier and I would probably go with the bike. Oh and by the way I have 11 points on my license lol....should give you an idea on my habits BUT I have matured and calmed down over the years.

Yes I love my car and alot of my buddies around me are doing big build as well...for a while all I could think about was the sound of the black spooling BUT also I have been for past 3 years trying to get a bike. I am fine with the power the car makes now...I mean I want more but if I had a bike I would be satisfied I think. Oh and another thing I live in Jersey....roads are not the best here for those who know it...but the feeling of being on 2 wheels is like NO other.

I know at the end of the day it comes down to what I truly want YES I GOT IT...but I just wanted some opinions....I am very capable of making my own decisions just looking at some outside thoughts. I know this community is filled with alot of knowledgeable and mature people with experience in both things i mentioned above....thanks fellas.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a daily driver on top of your Evo or not?

If the answer is no, I wouldn't do the big build. If the answer is yes, then forget the bike and build your Evo!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Questions....

1. Do you DD your Evo.
2. Have you ridden bikes in the past and/or have your MSF course or whatever you guys call it in the states.
3. How mature have you gotten over the years. If you are immature in the past to get that many demerits, owning a bike will make it worse.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
+1 Have you ever ridden a bike before? Why not pick up a used bike instead? Market is flooded with GSX-Rs for not that much...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:48 PM

I have ridden for a total of 5 hours on a 98 CBR f4I 600CC...looking to get a used gsx-r 750CC. EVO is the DD....BUT I live 1.2 miles from my work....and I have a GF so I can make her drive me or take her car if needed lol. I do have my motorcycle license.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:52 PM

I got most of my points from my old car....with the EVO I got 4 points so far....but I am older now wiser and I don't do stupid **** anymore....very rare.....I take it to track because after paying the fines and surcharges for speeding its not worth it. However 1 more stop and I risk loosing license for 30-60 days or more....I feel like a 5xxWHP EVO will not be the smartest choice....at least on a bike I can respect it and respect the power....tame it. This is why I am so torn lol.....I go to bed debating this every night. The turbo just looking at me in the closet...and my background on my computer is a bike waiting to be ridden LOL. ugh...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:00 PM

im just throwing this out there, not to knock big builds, but a friend of mine did a big build on his evo 9 and thankfully it isnt his dd. His evo is always down for repairs. but then again his car is basically a track strip ****. Very expensive.

Get the bike. Even though i will personally never be that bold. If its what you want you will never get the same rush from your evo no matter how much power you add. A lot of my good buddies have said once you get a bike you will never mod your car again cause it is just pointless. Just my stinky opinion.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A properly built Evo will be reliable. All depends on who builds it.
I'm building an X now for someone. And find myself possibly building another one for someone else too.

Some guys talk a good game and their cars are always down.

Either way, coming from a guy that has two bikes and an Evo with hopefully 500awhp,lol......... Get the bike..... But.... Take the NJ safety course, it reduces points and also helps you go though the basics again about riding.

Keep the Evo as is, if you want... When your friends give you crap, just realize that you would have a motorcycle that could blow their doors off....But of course don't ride fast cause that is dangerous and could bring tickets, LOL
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

If I had 6k-7k(rough estimate of bike cost) I would slap that turbo and supporting mods and make some decent numbers nothing crazy(I know 600+ are achievable w/ a black). I know the 4b11 is not as strong as the 4g63 but how much power/torque can you get out of it with a good tune ? and with the money I would buy a DD.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
Here is my .02
I've owed 5-7 bikes to this point and started riding when I was 15. I've had my share of close calls. Bikes are really cool, but realize that you can be hurt or even killed. Before you had to worry about old people,tourists, and bad drivers. Now, everyone is texting or on their phone and not paying attention.
I have a naked 06 GSXR 1000 and enjoy riding it, but I don't ride nearly as much as I used to because of the people on the roads nowadays. I've been run off the road a few times and almost run over at a stop light 2 times.
I'm going to sound like a complete hippocrate but I wouldn't take up sportbikes as a hobby if I was going to do it again. At least in a busy city.
Have you thought about getting into shifter karts? It looks like it has a great fun per dollar ratio. 3-4K,fast as you want, dedicated track days. Plus the chances of being mowed down by a teenaged girl on her phone or the mayhem guy are slim to none.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
Here is my .02
I've owed 5-7 bikes to this point and started riding when I was 15. I've had my share of close calls. Bikes are really cool, but realize that you can be hurt or even killed. Before you had to worry about old people,tourists, and bad drivers. Now, everyone is texting or on their phone and not paying attention.
I have a naked 06 GSXR 1000 and enjoy riding it, but I don't ride nearly as much as I used to because of the people on the roads nowadays. I've been run off the road a few times and almost run over at a stop light 2 times.
I'm going to sound like a complete hippocrate but I wouldn't take up sportbikes as a hobby if I was going to do it again. At least in a busy city.
Have you thought about getting into shifter karts? It looks like it has a great fun per dollar ratio. 3-4K,fast as you want, dedicated track days. Plus the chances of being mowed down by a teenaged girl on her phone or the mayhem guy are slim to none.
Very true. I don't like commuting here in NY, but some of our back roads are so much fun.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
Here is my .02
You live in Florida. I was just down there for 10 days and those are the worst drivers I have ever experienced. Then again the OP is from NJ and they're not much better. Lol.
I bought my first bike last year and love it. I am not stupid on the thing and always on the look out. Be a defensive rider and you'll be ok. Get the bike. Nothing like riding on a nice summer day, its awesome! Also gear up and wear a helmet.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bonezilla
You live in Florida. I was just down there for 10 days and those are the worst drivers I have ever experienced. Then again the OP is from NJ and they're not much better. Lol.
I bought my first bike last year and love it. I am not stupid on the thing and always on the look out. Be a defensive rider and you'll be ok. Get the bike. Nothing like riding on a nice summer day, its awesome! Also gear up and wear a helmet.
We're called ma$$holes here for a reason, Drivers are TERRIBLE.

In any case, OP. When I was raised and got into cars, my parents used to swear up and down how I was never allowed to get a bike... Ive since to this day kept the mindset that I will not/probably wont ever buy one...

So I took it upon myself to build a car that keeps up/ beats the majority of the bikes on the road, I as well used a DBB FP black with my build. Honestly, do I drive it like its fast, no I baby it(odd yes) but 10/12 months, the car is down for maintenance and random crap, so its hard to enjoy :/

I say slap that turbo on with proper mods and call it a day. Either way I think you'll enjoy your decision, but there is nothing better then pulling on a GSX-R when you're in a 4dr sedan Mind you, I have harnesses and a cage and all proper braces for safety and piece of mind but yeah..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

You looking at a 600 or a 1000? Each have their perks.....Once you have the itch for a bike it will never be satisfied until you buy it. Make sure you have full coverage and medical insurance if you get a bike. Insurance will cost you more by getting a bike and maintenence will cost you more if you build the car
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

My biggest regret when I bought my bike was not buying the 750 or 1000. You can only do so much to a 600 before you want more power and get bored. Getting bored or in that comfortable/safe zone is what can kill you because you get lax. If I ever got another bike it would be a 1000 or a busa/zx14

Quick Reply: FP Black Build or Sport Bike?