Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

noob with some needed opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noob with some needed opinions

Hey
I am a noob to evos but not to turbo cars by any means. However i have been looking for an evo viii or ix recently and have come across a few on autotrader, etc. Now i know these cars hold their resale value like a SOB but i could use some opinions on these 2 in particular.
this silver one seems on point accordiing to kbb and nada but i have only heard from the owner once telling me the car is still for sale. no further details yet.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=322803721

I also was looking at this black one however after calling the dealership the car has a salvage title which im not sure about now, especially at that price. However it is running a 70trim turbo the guy believes, he is going to doublecheck, with supporting mods including water meth which is always nice.

http://www.autoexoticainc.com/Used/2...leDetails.aspx
Anyways opinions please because right now it seems like a better option to look for one on here, the prices seem more reasonable.

Last edited by rjfg; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 8 looks decent, lots of miles but it is a 03. Id never buy a car with that many miles but thats me. the question on the black car would be why is it salvage, also selling a car with a salvage title is a PAIN, then theres the fact of trying to insure it, which is next to impossible here in chicago but our laws with a salvage car are different then most states as per our insurance is too, it would have to be a rebuilt tittle to insure it here and that is a PAIN to get from being salavge, not sure about your state laws thou. Why not wait a few for a good IX with lower miles on it for around 20k or less, they are out there, just gotta wait and see.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the opinions thats what i was thinking of doing at this point just waiting and seeing what shows up especially within my state or the surrounding ones since it owuld be a lot better then a 6 hour flight and a 1500+ mile drive.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:04 AM

The black one is nice though, but I just never trust salage anything. That's just me though.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:27 AM

The black one is nice gut also with a car that is heavily modded like that you never know how it was driven and abbused
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The salvage title is more likely to affect the resale value than the ownership experience, aside from possible unscheduled repairs. In more cases than not I've seen lately that wrecks can be rebuilt very well with a lot of attention to detail. It's like buying a re manufactured PC. At least someone has given it a thorough inspection.

When I worked at carmax, the metaphor we were taught to use to convince people that salvage or frame damage/repair was bad was; Try to think of bending a paperclip, and then bend it back...it's never quite the same. While that may be true, I've used bent paperclips plenty of times and amazingly their ability to hold two pieces of paper together is undiminished.

Race teams, especially rally teams, bend frames back or replace huge portions of their smashed up cars all the time, though they don't have to deal with titling issues.

Usually cars depreciate more than just about every other investment. The usdm evos have done surprisingly well with value, but you wouldn't enjoy that sustainable value with a salvage titled vehicle.

Another nice thing about the evo is that the aftermarket is so big, that anything that fails could be replaced with possibly a better, non-oem part for less money.