Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New to tuning, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2002 | 11:32 AM

Question New to tuning, looking for advice

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to the car tuning scene, and I have a few quick questions, please bear with me, I'm gonna sound like a twit at points. I'm getting a Lancer finally, ES, and want to know what are the best mods/parts to use. My goal is to get it built so I can enter into a few local rally events. If anyone can offer any advice on what parts to get, what order I should do all the mods in, and any other advice you could offer. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 25, 2002 | 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

can you really go rally with a fwd car?
Old Jul 25, 2002 | 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by cleofis
can you really go rally with a fwd car?
Citroen Xsara WRC car
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 10:10 AM

yeah and that car is pretty damned fast too...there used to be a civic rally too. and the carolla is fwd, and a hyundai elantra...
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

have we all forgotten about RMR's lancer? they have a US spec rally beast too.
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 10:14 AM

oh, and to answer the question...you want suspension parts. thats just to start. i know the car is "rally inspired" but if you want to be realistic it's suspension is crap. you will need deeper treaded tires, stiffer suspension..box it in with sway bars, tie bars, and some thicker anti-roll bars. stiffer springs (the shocks/struts should be ok if it is a new one). and to really drive an off-road race you are going to need more torque...and hp. lancer only pushes out like 90-100 normally. power like that wont get you out of the mud.
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 10:20 AM

-Trubo....lots and lots of turbo
-Supension
-Weight Reduction
-Better Breathing (intake, TB, headers ect..)
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 10:21 AM

Money lots and lots of money!!! HAHAHAHAH
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Alright, you want to rally. Good choice. Definitely start with the suspension as this car handles like a marshmallow on wheels: SOFT. The only suspension out there that could handle a die hard rally (and this is a guess), short of a custom build is the Teins SS (Super Street, hence my concern about it being able to handle a rally) damper kit which replaces the suspension mounts, struts and shocks and springs with ultra high quality replacements. An expensive but VERY nice setup. From there, depending on what conditions you're going to be running on, some very nice wheels (strong) with dirt spec tires or some very competent road tires. On the issue of power, you've got the basic bolt-on NA route but that is going to give you a paltry sum of extra power. You could move on to the big buck NA mods (compression, head work etc.) or the big buck turbo route. Only with a lot of money overall (NA route) or all at once (turbo) are you gonna move with a significant quickness.

Last edited by pjal84; Jul 26, 2002 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

SUSPENSION

You could look at getting Tein RA's. They are made for the Evo VII but people think they will fit on the US Lancer (you'll have to talk to a shop that knows this stuff). I think they could take a lot more than the SS's. They would definetly be the choice for rally.
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Re: SUSPENSION

Originally posted by 2 point 0
You could look at getting Tein RA's. They are made for the Evo VII but people think they will fit on the US Lancer (you'll have to talk to a shop that knows this stuff). I think they could take a lot more than the SS's. They would definetly be the choice for rally.
I wouldn't count on it...the Lancer and Evo chassis (CS6A vs. CT9A) are veeeeery different creatures. The front suspension has a slim possibility of being the same however given the AWD nature of the Evo, the rear suspension lends its self to being significantly different.
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I got the Tein SS's, because I wasn't sure if the RA's would fit right. Thanks for the info pjal84. Your right, different chassis would probably have different mounts. I wouldn't count on them fitting anymore.
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 10:11 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm pretty much planning on making this like a 2 year project car, so I should be able to get most of those mods over time. I'm thinking about working on getting the overall power and acceleration worked up first, with new suspension work a little later. Also, pjal84, do you have a site link or anything where I can check out the Tein SS's? Thanks again everyone.
Old Jul 26, 2002 | 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

TEIN