Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help me decide on tires/suspension

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 02:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide on tires/suspension

My goal for my 05 is to achieve go kart like handling, not 800hp dragster. What tire size would be best? I was thinking going 245-40-17 and lowering the car 1 inch(currently stock height) on a decent set of coilovers. Any advice on what route at should take and maybe better tire combo? Thanks in advance
Old May 22, 2013, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Why coilovers? If it's not a dedicated track only car, go with Bilstein HD shocks/struts and Swift Spec-R springs. Lowered me 1.3" and handling is phenomenal, very comfortable, no nasty sounds, no maintenance and 100x better than the stock kyb's. No more nose dive is great. Read up on suspension/tires based on what you'll use your car for. I run BFG gforce's and I'll go with Robispec KW V3 coilovers when it's time for a full cage/track use only.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Why coilovers? If it's not a dedicated track only car, go with Bilstein HD shocks/struts and Swift Spec-R springs. Lowered me 1.3" and handling is phenomenal, very comfortable, no nasty sounds, no maintenance and 100x better than the stock kyb's. No more nose dive is great. Read up on suspension/tires based on what you'll use your car for. I run BFG gforce's and I'll go with Robispec KW V3 coilovers when it's time for a full cage/track use only.
Are coilovers more of an annoying ride? Aren't they the best way to get the best handling out of your car? What exactly do you mean by maintanance, what extra maintanance would be required with coilovers. Sorry for the noob questions.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to be installed properly coilovers should be scaled to properly set ride height and preload. bilsteins are pretty straight forward and can be setup to run whatever spring you would like for as good and sometimes better handling the coilovers... especially units costing less then 2k. they can't compete against ohlins but who would expect them to?

as for tires.... nt05s in the size you want will give you a damn good handling street setup... couple it with a 25mm rear sway bar for a lil induced oversteer and possibly a wider front track width and you will be cutting up corners with the pro's for under what they paid for their coilovers alone... don't expect to set world record times... but i promise your boy's with s2k's wont be able to call your car a fat pig anymore...
Old May 24, 2013, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
to be installed properly coilovers should be scaled to properly set ride height and preload. bilsteins are pretty straight forward and can be setup to run whatever spring you would like for as good and sometimes better handling the coilovers... especially units costing less then 2k. they can't compete against ohlins but who would expect them to?

as for tires.... nt05s in the size you want will give you a damn good handling street setup... couple it with a 25mm rear sway bar for a lil induced oversteer and possibly a wider front track width and you will be cutting up corners with the pro's for under what they paid for their coilovers alone... don't expect to set world record times... but i promise your boy's with s2k's wont be able to call your car a fat pig anymore...
Stock for stock your saying the evo can't handle with an s2k? Which bilstein a are you referring to.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:03 AM

I would suggest the nt05's in 245/40/17 as well.... Also look into bc coilovers if thats what your looking for, read up alot of good reviews on them and will be switching my tein ra's to bc's very soon. Hell of a good price on them
Old May 24, 2013, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Coilovers shouldn't see weather and road grime or they tend to cease up, the adjustment threads get ruined and they usually have to be rebuilt regularly (10k miles or so) usually. For the $1,300ish price you'll pay for Bilstein HD's/Swift Spec-R's you're way ahead of any coilover set in the same price range, if you're using them on the street. All you'll gain is a jarring, loud, pain in the *** ride. Like Joe said, you have to spend upwards of $2k or more to get a seriously good coilover system that will be worth all the trouble.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Im not tryna to rebuild coilovers every 10k miles, F that. Are the more expenssive ones less hassle? lets say I just go with bilstein and swift spec-R's, how much improved will my handling be. would you guys recommend 245 tires over 255's? im keeping stock wheel for now. thanks
Old May 25, 2013, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Research this topic, there are a TON of threads about this.