Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo IX next mod...FMIC or Cams?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
^

if you're aiming for ~450whp, the trans will need to be built. if more than that, you'll need a built 5spd. take it from me - be happy where your car is now. it's a slippery slope from here on out, especially if u're looking at turbos
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
^

if you're aiming for ~450whp, the trans will need to be built. if more than that, you'll need a built 5spd. take it from me - be happy where your car is now. it's a slippery slope from here on out, especially if u're looking at turbos
I agree, that is why I am not looking for a major track car (strip or cross). Just the main bolt-on's to get some of the potential out of the car. Turbo wise, I'd be looking at a stock frame turbo setup is all. Mainly seeing the BBK and FP Red right now. But yeah turbo will come next year or later.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by iceburg470
I agree, that is why I am not looking for a major track car (strip or cross). Just the main bolt-on's to get some of the potential out of the car. Turbo wise, I'd be looking at a stock frame turbo setup is all. Mainly seeing the BBK and FP Red right now. But yeah turbo will come next year or later.
On my old car, I went with a HKS 7460R and a FP Green Ball bearing. For both turbos I had upgraded FMIC, cams, injectors, fuel pump, oil line (came with turbo) intake, etc. Also headstuds if you don't have them and Kiggly HLA for safety. Just something to consider. But yeah you may want to build the 6speed at that time too. For me, I went back to all stock turbo + boltons, relatively trouble free and never happier.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'm trying to steer you away from both intercooler and cams at this point to address other needs. I own an MR and wanted to do it right the first time. Autocross has really helped with that, since you are limited in mods according to your class. But that has let me do things right step by step. I know you're only going to have a fun street ride but you don't want to throw money into it and end up having the wrong combination or worse, have things start to break--mistake with my 04 STi. We also don't know what your definition of fun street ride.

That said, yes you'll need upgraded injectors because who really drives around with such low boost levels. You can get used injectors for a relatively low price here in the forums. But that 6 speed will not hold up long if you're the type of guy who will mash on that go pedal frequently. I'm planning on a bit more power/torque so I bought a 5 speed for conversion and have cams waiting for install/tune after that. Due to autox, I'm not upgrading my intercooler because of the weight increase, especially at the very front of the car. If you are set on the fmic and/or cam upgrade first, it's your money. Good luck .
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:29 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I assume you've already read this, yes?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html

That being said, It think your gains between the two parts would be pretty close. As mentioned, if your budget can afford it, getting both parts up front will save you money on tuning since you'll only have to tune the car once.

Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Yep there is a torque capacity for the 6-speed.

There is a lot of useful info here:

http://www.teamrip.com/choosing_the_...utch_info.html
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I have read the dummy post. That's been my basic guide so far.

As for the street ride, for perspective, I think the pedal has legitimately hit the floor four times. Just driven for some spirited driving on country roads around here and no need to show off or push it to the limits. I'm looking to keep her on the roads and not in the garage constantly fixing something else like some of my V8 buddies cars haha.

But of course, I'm a guy so more power means more fun... Within limits of course. I've always enjoyed tweaking my past vehicles (3000GT and G35) but nothing has been this sensitive to work with.

So injectors will be next then. All of the info has been much appreciated so far.

Last edited by iceburg470; Jun 27, 2013 at 07:21 PM.