Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New to the Evo World

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the Evo World

Hey everyone I am new to the Evo world after owning a MKIII Jetta for about 8 years. The evo is going to be my daily driver until I get a VR6 swap done on the Jetta. I ended up finding a 2006 Evo IX with 83K miles, that seemed stock aside from a Greddy Exhaust and it was apparent that it was in need of a new clutch. It seemed perfect when I found it because I was not interested in getting a heavily modded evo because it would be my DD. After getting the car I found that there are a number of interesting things about the car that I haven't been able to figure out. 1. there was a very home made boost controller and most of the OEM vacuum lines were taken out, including the one with the boost Pills. There were a number of inoperable gauges installed, AF gauge on the steering column, and a set of Defi gauges above the stereo. After replacing the AF gauge with a cheap boost gauge I found that the Evo was running at 11psi. After getting the vacuum lines back to EOM and removing the manual boost controller, I found that the clutch was slipping at full power (tricky previous owner). The evo may have an upgraded fuel pump but it is not confirmed. Now that it has a new clutch, and the correct boost, it runs great aside from power surging when cold starting. I am debating if the car is even running the OEM tune, because I am struggling to get more than 23mpg with a mix of mostly freeway and some city driving. Finally my question, does it sound like the PO may have been running the Evo at much higher power levels based on the clues left behind, or does it seem like just a stock Evo in need of some TLC and a tune?
Sorry for the long post.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 09:15 AM
Awesome Mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!