Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Oil change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2002, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change

Can someone tell me how to change my oil.. I want to save some money.

Thanks.

Oh yeah I know this is a dumb question.

but help me out

Last edited by LancerFreak; Aug 4, 2002 at 06:00 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Jack up the front right of the car from the jack points (use a good floor jack, not the one that came with the car). Get an oil pan, locate the oil plug using your Owner's Manual, remove the oil plug, allow the old oil to drain into the pan. Once you're sure the old sludge has drained out, re-insert the plug, remove the oil cap from on top of the head and pour in your new oil (of course, only putting in how much the Owner's Manual says). Let the car idle for a few and voila, done.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 06:04 AM

thanks
Old Aug 4, 2002, 06:06 AM

you might also want to change the oil filter.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by skitzo
you might also want to change the oil filter.
Yeah he's definitely got a point there. Me=dumbass for forgetting. Look at the Parts Index Page for the oil filter number from K&N.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone know what the torque in ft-lbs should be for the plug when you tighten it up? I'm assuming the oil pan is aluminum to save weight. If you continually overtighten the drain plug, you'll eventually f**k up the threads in the pan.

Also, I haven't poked around underhood too much on my new OZ yet (since it's been freaking hot as hell out), but is the oil filter mounted horizontally on the back of the block, or (as I hope) vertically near the bottom of the block and/or oil pan?

Thanks and good luck with the oil change.

DF
Old Aug 4, 2002, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Be sure to place a small amount of oil on the O-ring of the filter then hand tighten with a oil filter wrench. If your not sure if it's tight enough then, idle the motor a few minutes then check for a leak. Do this when the car is on the ground and not on the jack!

Personally, I don't think you'll save any money doing it yourself. Calculating the cost of oil, filter and, your time spent. I believe most ppl do it for the satisfaction of doing something for themselves. Thats just my opinion.

Mike L.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Oil change!

Here is just a thought but when I bought my lancer they gave me a coupon book for oil changes and part/labor work. Anyway my dealer only charges 19.95 for an oil change! 14.95 with the coupons.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

I go to Jiffy Lube. They vacuum my car for me and top off all my fluid.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Oil change!

Originally posted by Onikun
Here is just a thought but when I bought my lancer they gave me a coupon book for oil changes and part/labor work. Anyway my dealer only charges 19.95 for an oil change! 14.95 with the coupons.
I got one coupon for a free oil change an knowing it was too good to be true I took the car in for the change, an when I got the car back they put a Quart and a half to much oil and they let the oil run all over the top of my block and along some of the wires an it got all sticky an they never bothered to clean it up.

So luckily I checked it before I left then damaged the engine from having an oil overload.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I was waiting for how long it would take before the first crankcase overfill / spill story came up. It's pathetic and true, but what it comes down to these days (with almost everything) - if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

For the technically inclined with a minimal set of good tools and a shop manual, there's maintenance items you can do yourself such as air filters, pcv filters, oil changes, and spark plugs - plus you know it gets done right. You save $ on labor and time since you don't have to make an appointment at a dealer, drive to get there, wait to get a svc order written up, drink their bad coffee, etc...
Old Aug 4, 2002, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

You should save your reciepts. Just in case you need waranty work done and the dealer says you haven't brought in for oil changes and such, you can prove you did it. Have fun with the oil change!
Old Aug 4, 2002, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I still have the receipt from that oil change. I keep reciepts from service work - mods. Just for future reference per se.
Old Aug 11, 2002, 02:22 AM

I bought a stp s6607 oil filter. It is smaller than the OEM one.. will it be ok.>>>?

Oh yeah the car is up on the jack right now... so please help fast

thanks
Old Aug 11, 2002, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't trust an oil filter smaller than stock since it won't be treating the right amount of fluid the car needs, then, I may be wrong.

Quick Reply: Oil change