Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

what oil to use

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what oil to use

hey whats up everyone had a question what oil to use the guy i bought the car from said he has used royal purple lol but dosent know the weight it was and should i keep using it any ideas thanks
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need a little more info on your setup... 05 MR? Stock engine (not a built engine)? Stock turbo? Driving style/usage? Mileage? Also, a lot if info is already out there, and is a search button away.

For the purposes of a mostly stock 05, running street duty, I would just pick a quality full synthetic 10w-30. Factory fill is mobil 1, which a lot of people use with success. Amsoil is another popular choice. Others run Castrol, Penzoil, etc. I haven't seen a lot of info on royal purple, but I suggest one of the few above. Fairly certain M1 is cheaper as well. If you are higher mileage, you may consider going to a higher mileage blend.

Built engines, non-factory turbos, etc may require a different oil. Also, temperature considerations and intended usage may drive some different choices on type and change interval.

Threads like this, you will see most people chiming in with what they use in particular.

Also...if you bought an Evo used, I HIGHLY suggest you send your first couple oil changes in for analysis. Try Blackstone Labs. They will be able to tell if things are going well or not in the engine.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:58 PM

upgrades Include: Cosworth Cams Custom Upgraded Turbo PE6162 Custom Exhaust Manifold Upgraded Radiator 750 Injectors 340 Stealth Fuel Pump Weisco Pistons Eagle Rods Methanol Injection kit AEM Computer with MAP Sensor Samco Hoses Greddy Intercooler Greddy BOV HKS DLI ACT Street and Strip Clutch
Old Jan 27, 2014, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Mobil 1 10w-30
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:45 AM

Oil: science vs. opinion vs. marketing

Anytime you talk about oil this is what you are up against.
The discussion is littered with close minded opinions due to many different factors mostly from hearing stories from your old uncle and his experience as a pit crew member for a go-cart track.

Another thing to account for is the TV educated car enthusiast. Question: How much Velocity channel do you watch? Oil brands are a marketable material and these companies/brands will do just about anything to get you to buy their special sauce.

Science!!! This is another way to go but takes a little research and learning and can also be influenced by the marketing and TV magic.

I am biased in a lot of ways when it comes down to using certain products I am OCD when it comes to these things. From my experience reading countless forums on the Internet I believe you must:

1) Think through what you personally know about oil.
-it does not matter what you know as fact or myth or just heard once really think through it and figure out what you know right now. You must know where you are at in order to move forward and change/learn. Keep an open mind.

2) Go here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
-this is the place to start for everyone read through the course and it will help clear up a lot of the mucky muck. Bob is the oil guy.

3) Test your used oil: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
-It just makes since, every car is different in order for you to know whats going on in there you got to test your used oil and for $25 why would you not do this?

4)What and where are you driving?
-Daily Driver, track, always hot, always cold, four seasons. Your environment and driving application will require you to choose certain oils due to engine strain and temp.

5)Oil is oil the same way gas is gas.
- might get yelled at but I am talking about when it comes to the majority of us that use our cars as daily drivers we are not working with a pit crew or setting track times we are driving from point A to point B and have a lot of fun in between. Now I do understand that my car does require/suggest Premium gas but where i get that gas is not life threatening. Again it comes down to education and marketing.

I am in no way an expert just a fellow driving enthusiast with OCD tendencies for taking care of my car. Please take some time to read over the links, talk to others in this forum and always keep an open mind.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:21 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IamMattMoses
Oil: science vs. opinion vs. marketing

Anytime you talk about oil this is what you are up against.
The discussion is littered with close minded opinions due to many different factors mostly from hearing stories from your old uncle and his experience as a pit crew member for a go-cart
I chose science when it comes to technology mixed of course with my own experience. The issue some fail to understand is that OIL technology as we speak is rapidly changing. You may have a situation where Mitsubishi reccomend SN 5w30 but tomorrow the government phases a law that SN Oil's must go away, well if you don't keep up with whats going on you have an issue possibly simply because uncle Sam does not care of the new oil works or not with you car now it's up to the OIL companies to clean the mess up.
I put aside my feelings and what I think. I want to be up for new learning.

While your comment above may be taken as dumb or whatever I believe you hit the nail right on the head. Most people go by what they think and don't dive in the why would one product serve them better. And that is the bad part of having so many choices which can be very confusing.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobil 1 burned some in my car and smelled really bad at 3-5k when I changed it. Mobil 1 also burned in my sister's mini jcw. I use royal purple because it is really cheap on amazon, $80 case of 12 quarts and change it every 3k, along with mobile 1 extended filter. I never got the Royal purple hate. A lot of people call it garbage. Never have any issues with oil burning and it does not have that distinctive smell when I change it. Of course maybe the smell is a good thing. I dunno. Bottom line, just use cheap synthetic and change it every 3-4k miles. Oh yeah you can cheap Mobil 1 at Walmart or advanced on sale, but I don't like the 5 quart jugs. Plenty of people use it. Like I said the main thing is to change it sooner than 5k. Some people say they test their oil and still does its job at 8-10k, but after talking to a few mechanics and looking at how dirty my oil was at 6k, I started doing it at 3k. It is actually very satisfying to do it early.

Last edited by jackburton; Feb 25, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
i do mine every 3k anyway just to be safe.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:41 PM

15w40 rotella, for e85
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:09 PM

Rotella T6 5w40 on my 996tt.

I use the oil in my Audi Allroad also.

If you read any reviews from people on BITOG, you will see very high zinc levels which means more protection for the engine.

Also the oil is easily avaliable and pretty inexpensive at Walmart.

The Blackstone oil analysis for the oil in my 996tt and the Allroad are also top notch.