Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I worry?

I just sold my sti and was wanting to purchase this Evo. It only has 5500 miles but it looks like there are aftermarket parts on it. Should I be worried about these? Can any of you determine what all has been done to the car and if they are good parts or not? This is at a dealership. I requested more info on every part added to it and possibly the owner who traded it in to see if I could talk to him.

I'm new to Evos so just want to make sure everything okay with it. I really wanted this one because it seemed low miles and I really wanted all the options it had without having to spend 40k for one.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide
Attached Thumbnails Should I worry?-20140804_155530.jpg   Should I worry?-20140804_155139.jpg   Should I worry?-20140804_155222.jpg  
Old Aug 4, 2014, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year is it? Mileage certainly is decent. The intercooler piping looks like ETS and if it is, then it is a quality part. I see a different intake and stock BOV. The picture makes its hard to tell if there is a different cat-back on it. Can't tell much else by just looking at the pictures. Have the dealership determine if it has been tuned because that would affect any warranty on the car. I would certainly remove that awful Plastidip job though.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 08:50 PM

Ya I was looking at parts and I thought it may be an ets front mount as well. Hopefully the dealership has more info on it. Where could I take the car to get a good inspection of everything to make sure the last owner didnt molest it? It's a 2012. Seems like whoever had it just bought parts and decided to move onto something else?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the asking price?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 05:08 AM

33,000. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Hopefully the dealer will give me more information on it today. Are there any good precautions I need to take before buying? Also, are those stock Springs? For some reason I thought they may be aftermarket as well.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I would take it to a local reputable tuning shop to have it inspected before buying. They'll be able to tell you infinitely more than the dealer. Dealers don't know these cars.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 05:38 AM

Okay. I'll contact the dealer and see if they will let me take it to a shop for inspection.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:25 AM

Okay so the dealer just sent me a few more pics. He said "H&S Turbo, manifold, suspension, and full exhaust."

I do not know how much power this setup will put out etc and do not want to purchase a vehicle that will be pushing the limits of the block etc. I dont want to break anything

The dealer did agree to get a full pre purchase inspection and compression test done at Cobb.

I requested more pics of the engine bay, turbo, intercooler etc. It just kinda seems like they are not even sure what parts are what lol.

Should I avoid this and just get a different one or what?
Attached Thumbnails Should I worry?-20140805_115046.jpg   Should I worry?-20140805_115053.jpg   Should I worry?-20140805_115106.jpg  
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:30 AM

And as for the exhaust it looks like some MBRP tip was just welded on in my opinion.

EDIT: Do you think he may have meant HKS turbo and manifold etc? instead of H&S? I do not see any sort of H&S parts for an evo x online anywhere.

Last edited by JasonM163; Aug 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

That car will be loud. theres no muffler/catalytic converter, just like my car. Take it to a tuner, as mentioned above, dealerships know nothing about these cars.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonM163
Okay so the dealer just sent me a few more pics. He said "H&S Turbo, manifold, suspension, and full exhaust."

I do not know how much power this setup will put out etc and do not want to purchase a vehicle that will be pushing the limits of the block etc. I dont want to break anything

The dealer did agree to get a full pre purchase inspection and compression test done at Cobb.

I requested more pics of the engine bay, turbo, intercooler etc. It just kinda seems like they are not even sure what parts are what lol.

Should I avoid this and just get a different one or what?
Heh. I would avoid it. I mean if you take it to Cobb and they OK it, maybe. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used Evo that already has an upgraded turbo and manifold. So many things can go wrong once you start messing with parts like that...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 01:07 PM

Yeah I think I will probably just pass on this one. I really wanted a barely used 2012 or 2013 with sight sound and leather. didnt feel like spending 40k for a new one with all those options. hopefully i can find one thats stock with what I want.

thanks for everyones help
Old Aug 5, 2014, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

I just looked at the photos after your email. It has ETS intercooler piping and looks like an ETS intake. ETS is a great company for our vehicles. The car looks like a good buy to me, but please, for your sake, have an evo shop look at it and pay them the $100 dollar inspection fee.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 01:29 PM

Thanks, the dealer is sending me a lot more pics tomorrow and I may pay for them to take it to cobb to get a full inspection done so they can evaluate what is going on with it.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JasonM163
Thanks, the dealer is sending me a lot more pics tomorrow and I may pay for them to take it to cobb to get a full inspection done so they can evaluate what is going on with it.
I have a good feeling COBB will tell you everything is solid with the car, after all its got literally no miles. I like it. Goodluck with purchase.

Quick Reply: Should I worry?