Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

help deciding if i should get evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help deciding if i should get evo

hi guys.. im new on here and have been doing research but i know u guys will know...

I own a srt4 have for 5yrs been a great car.. But tired of breaking down and tired of spinning all the time.. i was looking into getting a evo 8-9 car.. but are the evos gret for DD driving everyday.. as i will be selling the srt most likely and going for a Evo.. i have 2 kids as well but the evo is 4 door just like the srt4..

Now which is the better choice.. evo 8, evo Mr, or evo 9.. I will be Daily driving the car everyday.. and how bad does these things break down.. im kinda scared to get one because guys have told me they break down all the time that the trannys break and the transfer case fails just about everytime is this true..

For mods the only thing that will be done to car will be Exhuast,Intake,Programmer,Tuned, fuel pump, injectors, and running pump and e85 every once in awhile.. Let me know if these are reliable if so i will be getting me one
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
you will be fine if you keep wtq under 400. but you also have to have good driving habits. plus, it is an upgrade the the ol srt4.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by thesrt4guy2010
hi guys.. im new on here and have been doing research but i know u guys will know...

I own a srt4 have for 5yrs been a great car.. But tired of breaking down and tired of spinning all the time.. i was looking into getting a evo 8-9 car.. but are the evos gret for DD driving everyday.. as i will be selling the srt most likely and going for a Evo.. i have 2 kids as well but the evo is 4 door just like the srt4..

Now which is the better choice.. evo 8, evo Mr, or evo 9.. I will be Daily driving the car everyday.. and how bad does these things break down.. im kinda scared to get one because guys have told me they break down all the time that the trannys break and the transfer case fails just about everytime is this true..

For mods the only thing that will be done to car will be Exhuast,Intake,Programmer,Tuned, fuel pump, injectors, and running pump and e85 every once in awhile.. Let me know if these are reliable if so i will be getting me one
The guys that were telling you this fall into one or more of the following categories:

1) Bought a car that hadn't been taken care of
2) Upgrade the car to 500hp+ and expect components built for sub 400 to hold up
3) Don't take care of their car (including launching the car everyday from every stop light)
4) Put cheap crappy parts on the car and have skethcy folks work on it (including themselves)

The car is very reliable once you take care of it, use proper parts and have proper folks work on the car. With the mods listed above that would put you into the 375-410 range depending on if you get an 8 vs a 9 and who does the tune. That will be super reliable once you take care of it. The big thing will be ensuring that the car you are getting is in good shape so ensure it gets inspected pre-purchase by a shop that knows Evos.

I've had my car for 10 years...0 break downs...the car can tell you the last time it was on a truck was when it was delivered to the dealership in '04.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:39 PM

I'm a firm believer you take care of your car,It'll take of you. but of course hopefully
the car is in good shape before you buy.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 01:37 PM

I think they're very reliable... Had mine since 8,300 miles and it didn't break down until close to 100K miles when my wife was driving it the day before our wedding!! Even then, it was the idle air controller so I was able to drive the car as long as I kept giving it gas when stopped (tricky!!). Just be aware of the maintenance needed on the TC and Tranny which is changing the oil every 15K miles. If you're good to her she'll take care of you!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's definitely an upgrade from an SRT4, that's for sure.

Any car is reliable if you take good care of it.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:01 PM

They're great cars. I've owned mine for 2 weeks i know what i'm talking about
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
These are good cars. Just like everyone here stated, just find an 8/9 that has been taken care of and you should be good to go. Also, when you find your car, get it looked at by someone who knows evos, otherwise you are looking for trouble.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 02:25 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Bacardi and Cola. DO IT.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 07:39 AM

Evo is a great car, as others said if you take care of it then it will take care of you. A lot of people tried to steer me away from purchasing an Evo 9 MR because of the "glass" transmission. I haven't had a problem with it. However, with that being said I've heard the 5 speeds can hold more power. What steered me away from getting an Evo 8 was the interior though, I like the 9's a bit better just my opinion. You'll have to see for yourself and check them out. Overall whatever you decide you won't be sorry. I've had quite a few different cars over the last 2 years and I don't see me getting rid of my Evo ever.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked the same question before I bought mine, and this is what was told to me;

MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE

Do not skimp on fluids, buy quality fluids that you like. I've had mine a year and I love driving it everyday. I bought a IX after looking at a few of them, spend your time to find a good one and you will be fine. Have others check it over as well, you will be blinded by emotion when looking at them. I flew to Chicago, bought it, drove it home to Georgia with no issues. Best road trip of my life and I would do it all again.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by johnnybigbooty
I'm a firm believer you take care of your car,It'll take of you. but of course hopefully
the car is in good shape before you buy.
Originally Posted by Brandisher
These are good cars. Just like everyone here stated, just find an 8/9 that has been taken care of and you should be good to go. Also, when you find your car, get it looked at by someone who knows evos, otherwise you are looking for trouble.
After reading the thread the two posts above stuck out as being good deciding factors on an evo. also if your here read some of the newbie faqs.

BMH
Old Nov 5, 2014, 07:33 AM

I see a lot of people that are looking to buy Evo 8/9 but are not sure what these cars are like to drive as daily drivers and how much maintenance $$ you will need to keep this car in a good reliable condition. Most people will just tell you that you need to find a stock Evo with all the maintenance records to justify the purchase. Some people will tell you to get a "slightly" modified Evo that was worked on by a reputable performance shop. The problem is that there are so few of these cars on the market and to test drive one is nearly impossible because owners don't like "thrill rides". I can only describe the driving experience in an Evo in one single word... INTOXICATING... You will be addicted to the power surge in seconds of acceleration and will give anything to own one. This is why so many people just give in and buy one even if it has problems because of the pure joy of driving an Evo as a daily driver. I wish you the best of luck in finding your Evo!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by yuriyz
I see a lot of people that are looking to buy Evo 8/9 but are not sure what these cars are like to drive as daily drivers and how much maintenance $$ you will need to keep this car in a good reliable condition. Most people will just tell you that you need to find a stock Evo with all the maintenance records to justify the purchase. Some people will tell you to get a "slightly" modified Evo that was worked on by a reputable performance shop. The problem is that there are so few of these cars on the market and to test drive one is nearly impossible because owners don't like "thrill rides". I can only describe the driving experience in an Evo in one single word... INTOXICATING... You will be addicted to the power surge in seconds of acceleration and will give anything to own one. This is why so many people just give in and buy one even if it has problems because of the pure joy of driving an Evo as a daily driver. I wish you the best of luck in finding your Evo!
haha man thats a great desciption..of owning and evo

Quick Reply: help deciding if i should get evo