Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hello from SW Florida!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 01:56 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Please allow me to introduce myself

Hi everyone! Finally acquired my first Evo! I've wanted one since I owned my first car, an 87 Mitsubishi Starion I regret selling. But I picked up a 2008 Evo X GSR in rally red with very subtle mods, but mostly stock just this past week. Just has Injen hard pipes and short ram intake, Eibach lowering springs, Gram Light 57DR wheels (18x9.5 +22 with 265/35/18), and I believe it has been tuned somehow as the rev limiter is at 8k which I found out accidentally at my first autox with it on Sunday. I am not sure of all everything done as I purchased the car from a dealer.

In case anyone is interested, my other project I have going right now is a 1984 BMW 318i (e30) that I put an M62B44 4.4L V8 out of 1997 BMW 540i along with a 6 speed manual in. A ton of other mods to it, but I won't bore you with that. Its satisfies my RWD fix. Lol.

Anyway...thank you for having me! Here's some pictures of the Evo and the E30. Looking forward to learning a bit on the site and hopefully meeting some of ya'll.

Last edited by strang3majik; Jun 9, 2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 08:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hey!

Welcome and thank you for a great intro! It is always nice to see new owners using their cars for motor sports like 'cone crushing'. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute so get busy posting!!

Bob
Old Jun 9, 2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Speedlimit
Hey!

Welcome and thank you for a great intro! It is always nice to see new owners using their cars for motor sports like 'cone crushing'. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute so get busy posting!!

Bob
Thank you and I definitely will!

And cone crushing was exactly what I did the first run before I figured out that AWD is much different from the RWD I'm used to! I still did well for my first time out in it though...it is amazing how well these cars turn once you figure out that you need to throttle through it. The opposite of RWD unless you want to drift the corner. Lol.

I've already put 1k miles on it since picking it up Thursday...loving every minute so far!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 09:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
It's 'Go-Kart' steering, half a wheel turn lock to lock!

Bob
Old Jun 10, 2015, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Speedlimit
It's 'Go-Kart' steering, half a wheel turn lock to lock!

Bob
More or less! The steering in these is crazy responsive.

Hell it was an upgrade in my e30 getting 3.25 turns lock to lock...evo has a little over 2. Haha.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Interesting BM, very neat little sleeper, tell us about what work you have done to her? got plans for a turbo? :-P

by the way moving up the rev limiter might not be a very good idea on an unbuilt motor.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Interesting BM, very neat little sleeper, tell us about what work you have done to her? got plans for a turbo? :-P

by the way moving up the rev limiter might not be a very good idea on an unbuilt motor.
I love my little e30. A sleeper for sure...especially with the bad paint. Haha. Interior is all replaced/cleaned up though so just looks bad from the outside. 1-2 are pointless but it's fun spinning tires, but hit 3rrd and its gone.

But a ton is done to that Ol' girl. Had it a few years and put it together piece by piece. Only thing I haven't removed is the trunk lid and doors.

But every bushing in the suspension replaced with oem, Bilstein Sport struts with Ground Control Coilovers, Racing Dynamics adjustable sway bars, garagistic front strut bar, e46 m3 brakes and 5 lug conversion, e36 m3 steering rack, all new ball joints, tie rods, etc, catuned high strength axles...

Then of course the refreshed m62b44 4.4l v8. Had the heads milled as far as spec allowed with thinner head gaskets to bump the compression up, obd1 converted with an sssquid tune/chip, backed by a 6 speed with an e39 m5 clutch and flywheel combo. 2.93 LSD differential. All sensors and gaskets on the engine replaced. Bottom end has 150k but looked like new inside. Mishimoto Z3M radiator with a SPAL electric fan, 170* thermostat...etc.

Body wise, European bumpers and valance, euro grilles, euro read foga converted to extra brakes lights (stocks are dim), and borbet type e wheels, 17x8.5 +13 offset.

There's more but that's all I can think of. A ton of money for a car with bad paint, but just made a 4k mile trip in it beating it the whole way, mountain carving and everything, and she made the trip no issue, 25mpg average. Lol.

Hope I didn't bore you with all that. Sometimes I forget how much work it's been. Started life as a 1984 318i with nonvented from disc brakes and rear drums and a 250k mile 1.8L. lol

Oh and I don't want to raise my rev limiter, I want to lower it back down. The previous owner raised it to around 8k rpm. I don't like it revving that high. 1st gear can wrap up quick if you're not careful.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by strang3majik
I love my little e30. A sleeper for sure...especially with the bad paint. Haha. Interior is all replaced/cleaned up though so just looks bad from the outside. 1-2 are pointless but it's fun spinning tires, but hit 3rrd and its gone.

But a ton is done to that Ol' girl. Had it a few years and put it together piece by piece. Only thing I haven't removed is the trunk lid and doors.

But every bushing in the suspension replaced with oem, Bilstein Sport struts with Ground Control Coilovers, Racing Dynamics adjustable sway bars, garagistic front strut bar, e46 m3 brakes and 5 lug conversion, e36 m3 steering rack, all new ball joints, tie rods, etc, catuned high strength axles...

Then of course the refreshed m62b44 4.4l v8. Had the heads milled as far as spec allowed with thinner head gaskets to bump the compression up, obd1 converted with an sssquid tune/chip, backed by a 6 speed with an e39 m5 clutch and flywheel combo. 2.93 LSD differential. All sensors and gaskets on the engine replaced. Bottom end has 150k but looked like new inside. Mishimoto Z3M radiator with a SPAL electric fan, 170* thermostat...etc.

Body wise, European bumpers and valance, euro grilles, euro read foga converted to extra brakes lights (stocks are dim), and borbet type e wheels, 17x8.5 +13 offset.

There's more but that's all I can think of. A ton of money for a car with bad paint, but just made a 4k mile trip in it beating it the whole way, mountain carving and everything, and she made the trip no issue, 25mpg average. Lol.

Hope I didn't bore you with all that. Sometimes I forget how much work it's been. Started life as a 1984 318i with nonvented from disc brakes and rear drums and a 250k mile 1.8L. lol

Oh and I don't want to raise my rev limiter, I want to lower it back down. The previous owner raised it to around 8k rpm. I don't like it revving that high. 1st gear can wrap up quick if you're not careful.

good work, all hard charging cars are appreciated on this forum, how does it go as a roll on up against your Evo?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 01:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello and welcome on board! Glad to have you join us. There are lots of great choices for parts, service and many owners willing to help you. You'll find just about anything you might have questions about there.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
good work, all hard charging cars are appreciated on this forum, how does it go as a roll on up against your Evo?
I honestly don't know. They feel completely different. The e30 is brute power, torque whenever I need it, whereas the Evo feels like it takes off harder past about 3500. Evo definitely has more grunt on the highway, but then again that's where a turbo engine shines.

I'm not one for having other people beat on my cars so it'd be a tough test...lol

Both are fun in their own way, though.

And...no turbo for the v8. May supercharge it someday, but there is absolutely no room to fit a turbo in there. Its so tight I had to eliminate my power brakes and put my master cylinders under the dash inside the car. Haha.

And thank you! Already have learned a lot more than I knew a week ago just reading around.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
love the respect your elders sticker!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome & Nice Car pics !