Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Thoughts on buying this high mileage Evo IX?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on buying this high mileage Evo IX?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying this Evo IX for sale at a local dealership. I live in Hawaii, so the amount of Evo 8s and 9s available for purchase are very limited.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/ctd/5072599407.html

The things that really caught my attention are that it is apparently a one-owner car, 100% stock and in "showroom" condition. The timing belt was recently changed, and it looks to have a clean carfax service record (I didn't get a chance to look at it yet). Most of the other Evos for sale here on island are either overpriced or modded to hell.
I'm going to check this car out on Saturday and hopefully try to see if the car is as described in the ad. I'm most likely going to get a compression test done, and have a Subaru mechanic friend come with me to check out the car.
Any tips on things I should look out for especially regarding this car's high mileage (114,000)? All input is appreciated.
Thank you, I look forward to joining you guys soon!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
two things that caught my eye are 1) that they just replaced front tires only (not good for diff) 2) it has a triple gauge pod, that usually indicates mods were in the mix but if compression and leak down check out I would be ok with it.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ddlopresti
two things that caught my eye are 1) that they just replaced front tires only (not good for diff) 2) it has a triple gauge pod, that usually indicates mods were in the mix but if compression and leak down check out I would be ok with it.
I forgot to mention, the pictures on the advertisement aren't actual pictures of the car they're selling (they look to be pictures off the internet). They state both on the ad and their website that the car's exterior color is blue, and the interior pictures look to be from different cars (in one picture the gauges are clearly visible, in another they are nonexistent). Regarding only two wheels being replaced, I'm aware that on AWD cars it's generally a rule of thumb to replace all 4; however I've heard it isn't too bad, just recommended. I'll definitely be sure to read up on that though, thank you for pointing that out!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakesterone
I forgot to mention, the pictures on the advertisement aren't actual pictures of the car they're selling (they look to be pictures off the internet). They state both on the ad and their website that the car's exterior color is blue, and the interior pictures look to be from different cars (in one picture the gauges are clearly visible, in another they are nonexistent). Regarding only two wheels being replaced, I'm aware that on AWD cars it's generally a rule of thumb to replace all 4; however I've heard it isn't too bad, just recommended. I'll definitely be sure to read up on that though, thank you for pointing that out!
If you pull up a PDF of the owner's manual it states that if all tires are more than like 2-3 mm off in tread depth or are different section widths damage to the transfer case can occur. Also I'm not too sure why they don't seem to have actual pictures of the car
Old Jun 19, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i wouldnt worry about mileage so much as these cars are very stout.
the problem with the one your looking at, all the forum can do is tell you based on the link. and the link has pictures of someone elses car which raises a lot of questions.
new front tires and 80% rear is VERY bad for the transfer case. i kno first hand and it is not cheap.
the only thing that has going for the car is the 1 owner and good carfax supposedly. all you can do is have it checked by an EVO specific shop and look for tcase whine.
recent timing belt job is good but did they also do everything related to the 100k service? water pump, seals etc.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Find a new car.

You don't want to buy a car that the dealership can't even post pictures of. Can guarantee that car was joy-ridden
Old Jun 19, 2015, 08:24 AM

yeah kind of shady they didn't post any pics of the actual car. I would be very skeptical about it.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never be afraid to walk away. There are always always others. You get screwed when you go in with the mindset that this may be your only chance to get one.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

That's from turbo magazine

Seriously do they even have an EVO?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 01:54 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
no actual pics = they suck at selling cars, doesn't mean the car is shady. couldn't hurt to go look.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
no actual pics = they suck at selling cars, doesn't mean the car is shady. couldn't hurt to go look.

Agreed ....but

I'm curious just how much effort it takes to snap a picture of a car on your lot.....your sellinh

At least use the same interior pictures throughout if your not going to take a picture

Its unusual that they wouldn't want to show "said" car.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 03:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by SR Concepts
Agreed ....but

I'm curious just how much effort it takes to snap a picture of a car on your lot.....your sellinh

At least use the same interior pictures throughout if your not going to take a picture

Its unusual that they wouldn't want to show "said" car.

snap pic, upload to photobucket, etc... then you have to take the link, post the ad, etc.
yeah, it's easy, but maybe they are just lazy. that's why i said they suck at selling stuff LOL.
or, they know they type the word "Evolution" and people come running, no matter how bad the ad. i would.
never underestimate how lazy people can be LOL.

the islands are small, so they probably know people will come take a look.

unless it's a bait-and-switch. a lot of car lots in LA will post a car that is "for sale".. but when you drive 4hrs to get there, you find the car was "just sold.... but we have this car over here..."

since the drive is short, i'd go check it out. you never know.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the great advice guys! This ad was just recently posted, and on their website they also have a lot of other cars listed with actual pictures, so I'm hoping they're maybe having camera issues or something haha. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow, I'll be sure to snap some pictures of the engine bay and etc.
Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by rongdoer
Never be afraid to walk away. There are always always others. You get screwed when you go in with the mindset that this may be your only chance to get one.
Thanks man, that's extremely helpful. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have that mindset (I've been browsing the listings here for half a year and this seems to be one of the better finds).
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:27 AM

Welcome & Thank you all for sharing valuable info, might need them in near future !

Quick Reply: Thoughts on buying this high mileage Evo IX?