Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

what got you guys into evos?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015 | 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Like Blackhawk mentioned, Who Am I. That came out when I was in high school and I remember seeing it on PPV and thinking, what the hell car is that!?!

I followed the car in magazines (usually Road & Track -- they covered it a lot well before it was released here and included the Evo VII in their best handling car comparisons) but thought it might be a little too pricey at that time when I was in college, so I was eyeing other cars in the low/mid $20k range.

The Evo VIII reached our shores around my junior year in college and I used to check it out at the dealership, but they weren't really offering test drives, especially not to a 20 year-old. I graduated from college, situations got better and picked up an Evo IX. And then swapped it for a IX SE a year later, and I still have it.
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 12:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

I didn't know much about the Evo until I saw the VII in 2 fast 2 furious. I knew of the GTO, FTO, and the Eclipse but that was it for Mitsubishi.
In 2003 a friend bought an VIII. Even in yellow, I wanted it. As mentioned above, he had to buy it without a test drive LOL.
I was hooked after seeing it and had to have one after driving it. It took me about 5 years to get my first IX MR.
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Traction!!!

Stronger transmissions!!!!

First one went out the window when I realised the strenth of the transmissions, and up the power went.
Old Oct 24, 2015 | 02:41 PM

Many reasons,

Heritage, Rally derived, manual gearbox, tune-ability and multi purpose sport/sedan.
Old Oct 25, 2015 | 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

when i was looking for a hobby track car it was the most powerful, buildable and reliable, I heard the standard pistons were forged, that won me over
Old Oct 28, 2015 | 04:34 AM

Same here been into evos s14 Long story was out of the game for A while And boys r dsm and evos it was time for me get one.
Old Oct 28, 2015 | 07:42 AM

I live in the Northeast, AWD is important especially with the snow last winter. I wanted a platform that would easily get get me to 400whp. After seeing countless hours of Evo vids, I knew this was the car I wanted. My friend had an Evo 8 back when I first got into tuning. Loved it since!
Old Oct 28, 2015 | 08:50 AM

Tommi Makinen!
Old Oct 29, 2015 | 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

I can remember back in Dec. 1998, I was in Dominican Rep. at a street race & there was a white Evo 5, from that day on, I long for one in my life, well 10 yrs later in 2008, I bought an Evo 8, almost bought a IX in 2006 right off the show room, but needed an apartment before a car payment
Ever since, just got to know the history behind it, it makes you appreciate it more, not like a lot of the Groupies nowadays
Old Oct 29, 2015 | 06:34 AM
Evolved Member
FCOTM Winner

I got into Evos from going to Japan a lot just as the VI came out. Just landed, and leaving Narita airport, and what drives by on the freeway, but a car transporter, loaded with 7 red TOMMI Editions! As we drove by the truck, I see the 3 Diamond logo, factory RALLIART stickers on all 4 corners, and I knew this was just an amazing, special car! That was it for me!

I already had my Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R sitting at home, so I knew about the Mitsubishi quality, design, etc., but the TOMMI Edition, just left me speechless! I subscribed to all the Japanese car mags, so I knew the later editions of these cars as they were being released, but when the VIII finally came here, that was my chance. Unfortunately, the wife wasn't on board...She finally gave in, by the time the IX was released! Still have the 1989 Starion (bought new), still have the 2006 Evo IX-MR (bought new) and just last week, I bought an Outlander Sport 'SE', 4WD. I'm hooked for life!

Last edited by NJ9MR; Oct 29, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2015 | 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by wheatbix
Tommi Makinen!
This
Old Oct 31, 2015 | 07:32 PM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

For me it started with the Top Gear reviews against the STI(which was also my high school dream car) and the Lamborghini. From there the numerous Evo's I had seen both in person, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and on YouTube accompanied with TONS of research I fell in love with the Evo. The videos of Dave Buschur's "Bad Bish" had me sold. Unfortunately I didn't have a job that payed well enough to afford one until more recently, so I owned an SRT4 for about 5 years and as fun as that was it was completely unreliable and the wheel spin was a buzzkill not to mention how bad it handled and the even worse turning radius it had than the Evo does lol After buying my Evo I'm glad to see all the hype is completely true and I now own my dream car.
Old Oct 31, 2015 | 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

To be completely honest, I was shopping for a 2004 STi.
I was in the market for a leftover. I drove one and it understeered really bad like I was going off the road on an off ramp.
My buddy asked me to take a look at an evo they just had traded in. I drove it and that's all it took.

The rest is history and a lot of miles, LOL
Old Oct 31, 2015 | 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

To cause major butthurt to V8 owners.
Old Dec 3, 2015 | 08:03 AM

I first liked the evo as a kid just watching youtube videos of them kicking everyone's asses. Years later working my first job I befriend the new car who's also into cars, turns out he's more into them than me. He happened to own an evo as I learned on a night he offered me a terrifying yet deathly satisfying ride home. I loved the interior the moment i stepped in and the look of the car alone is awesome. Fast forward three or four years, still friends with the guy and i go with him to PA look at another car he wants to buy. It was a 318ti but with poor tires and rwd he had me drive his evo for the trip back home instead! Now I wasn't great at driving stick back then and occasionally stalled here and there getting out of the city traffic. Once we hit the highway going home i had a blast though, an older porsche, 944? rolled up and raced us and it was right there that i fell in love with the evo. The handling, the power, the comfort and looks. What's not to love? besides for maintenance cost?

Quick Reply: what got you guys into evos?