Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New to me Evo VIII Owner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me Evo VIII Owner

So they say a fool and his money are soon parted, well I am the king of fools.

I have loved the Evo since I first saw it. I remember being young and going to the Mitsubishi dealership and trying to test drive one, unsuccessfully. I could’t really swing one at the time anyway. Flash forward to 2015 and I finally have enough cash to get my dream car. I found one on Craigslist (first mistake); I went to check it out. I really think I have some sort of beer goggles when I look at a car I want. It seemed perfect, the owner so friendly, the car so fast. In typical fashion another owner was already lined up to buy it and he had a deposit, but it was out of the area and I was a local cash buyer. I always sleep on it, but I could not let this go. I agreed to what I thought to be a fair price. And was soon to be the owner of my dream car. The previous owner seemed very knowledgable about the car. He had put a lot of time and effort into the car and I can’t stress enough how friendly he was. All the signs were there that things were not as they seemed. The first, besides the state of the car, was the fact that the title was in someone else’s name. Did I mention that I did not know the name of the seller before agreeing to give him a large sum of money? Oh yes. The beer goggles effect started to wear off on the drive home. And then the wife sees it. Reality sunk in and to help smooth things over with the wife I over I reached out to the previous owner and few hours after the sale. I explained the problems and offered to sell him the car back for $500 less than I bought it. Not a bad pay day for a couple hours work, but no interest. At his suggestion maybe I could “flip it.” I asked for the contact details for all the previous interested parties. I still don’t have anything. Couple that with the fact that when I got home to wash the car I could faintly see the previous owners writing on the rear window in caulk offering the vehicle for sale and his dog tags still floating around in the car. Good times. I guess I just bought a flipped car for way more than it’s worth. I am official now a broke sucker with semi-cool dream car. The chances of me getting anything near what I paid is unlikely. I am also not the type to lie or scam someone to dump it.

So my short story long, I’m looking forward to gaining a wealth of information from the forums, hopefully meet up with some folks in the DFW area, and make this rough Evo VIII into the badass ride it should be.

I’m looking for a good shop in DFW to have the car gone through. It also needs some PDR love. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 02:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Thank for the history of your purchase, I am very sorry to read your experience in buying the car. I hope you can get some of your money back with a resale in the future. Hopefully the purchase process will be eased a bit by the fun of driving your car, good luck!

Bob