Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hello!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello!

Hi everyone! I am glad to join the forum, haha.

A little introduction about myself is my name is Patrick. I am 21 years old and stationed in San Diego, CA originally from New Jersey. I purchased a 2003 Mitsubishi EVO VIII from a dealer here which was an awful mistake that I never plan to do again [I love the car, just the damage done to it was obnoxious].

I will give you a little journey of what happened with my car I guess to show you my lovely luck!

November 2014
- Purchased a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII from a dealership in San Diego [starting HP 145 since it was completely ruined]

December 2015
- Replaced fuel pump, oil pump, water pump, and simple tune.
- Replaced cat with test pipe, spark plugs. [HP at this point was 260]
ROUGH COST: $2000

January 2015
- I was driving and gave it a little too much gas blew the transmission and clutch. I took it to Dr. Boost who did an excellent job on restoring the car.

July 2015
- I recieved the car back with many mods that I wasn't prepared for. New cams, new transmission, new clutch, piping was ran differently, changed from recirc to VTA, went from a EVO 8 turbo to a EVO 9 turbo. I also got the car tuned to a 85/91 dual map setup. [HP at this point: 400]
ROUGH COST $8000.00

August of 2015
- Car was acting up and didn't want to run perfectly fine. I ended up taking it back to Dr. Boost for a diagnostic...it ended up being a crank sensor, scaper, and the throttle body. I got those all replaced...
ROUGH COST: $1000.00

December of 2015
- I recieved the car back while struggling with payments. The car ran perfectly once I swapped the mini battery for a full sized battery. The mini battery was defected, and it was just easier to maintain a full sized battery.

January of 2016
- I was cruising down the highway, and noticed a bit of knocking out of nowhere. A mile going down the highway it completely killed the car. I ended up spinning a rod bearing and ceising the motor.
ETA COST: 6500.00

So overall, I am $11,000.00 in rebuilding this beautiful son of a ... but she has been a great dime every time I drive her when she tries to work :-). Hopefully going to try to acquire some money soon and save up, so I can build the motor from scratch and finally get her running again!

Anyways, nice to meet you all and I hope to keep you updated with this car. :-)
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to the forums. How many miles did your car have when you bought it, and how many does it have now?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Welcome to the forums. How many miles did your car have when you bought it, and how many does it have now?
I purchased it with a little under 102k, and it has 103k now. I literally haven't driven it a ton, but I've enjoyed every second I got in it. It just keeps breaking down due to previous owners treating the car like crap sadly. But, someone has to pick up the pieces and I guess that's me! Just struggling to figure out how to afford a motor rebuild =[ happened today sadly!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Dang, that's unfortunate. Sorry to hear about that.

In hindsight, what would you have done differently? The easy answer is to have looked for a "better" one, but it's not like the used market for Evo VIIIs and IXs is plentiful. Would you have still bought it? Or was there another one that you passed on? Or would you have just gone with a X?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Dang, that's unfortunate. Sorry to hear about that.

In hindsight, what would you have done differently? The easy answer is to have looked for a "better" one, but it's not like the used market for Evo VIIIs and IXs is plentiful. Would you have still bought it? Or was there another one that you passed on? Or would you have just gone with a X?
I've always enjoyed the looks of the 8/9, so I probably would of looked for a well taken cared of car. I think my mistake was I was too in rush to get one, and I ended up ignoring red flags and it ended up being a bad car.

Overall though, since I've ended up rebuilding the trans/clutch and put new parts in, I might as well stick with her now! After this motor rebuild, hopefully this is the last straw before anything else breaks for a while . Trying to save up to buy a BR 2.0 LR, and then all the other things to go with it.

Don't know if I make enough money to afford it though lol =[
Old Jan 22, 2016, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm thinking before you do anything more, start researching here if any issue comes up, ask advice here before you spend any more of your money brother. Never be in a hurry otherwise people tend to take advantage of you ok
Old Jan 22, 2016, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
stationed, navy or marine? what ship if navy?