Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Not an EVO owner but using the 4G

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an EVO owner but using the 4G

Hello all,
My name is Jessie I live in Boise, Idaho been a long time "tinkerer" with the 4g family current daily driver is a 92 AWD plymouth laser. Current build underway is a 4g swap into my 94 FD3S. not really sure what else to say. the forum says I need to be a member for 15 days as well as 15 posts to be able to view the private classifieds section, so boo to forum rules at this time but hey gotta play by them I guess.
Old May 20, 2016, 04:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Thank you for posting and welcome!

It doesn't take long to make 15 posts. In the meantime you can send PMs to members who are offering parts you might be interested in.

Bob
Old May 20, 2016, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why swap out for a 4g?
Old May 20, 2016, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedlimit
Thank you for posting and welcome!

It doesn't take long to make 15 posts. In the meantime you can send PMs to members who are offering parts you might be interested in.

Bob
True and I forgot about PMs

Originally Posted by edsct9a
Why swap out for a 4g?
well so long story short I had went through 2 13b's, the first one was part of my front clip I imported from japan as I bought my car as a roller and needed an engine trans and misc. bits. That engine lived for 72 Hours. Being young and uneducated on rotaries I just put another used one in its place, since no one around here at the time that I knew of was any good with rebuilding them, and the one shop I knew of had a very bad reputation of cheating people from money with sub quality work. In this time I had seen a few pineapple racing videos on how to disassemble the rotary to inspect what had happened to my first engine. come to find out the coolant seal landing was broke in 4 places and talking to other people on rx7club they mentioned that theirs came like that from said company as well and i should report a claim. that's a long story for another rant lol. basically i got nothing back out of the deal because I used a debit card... lesson learned.
so after replacing 2 used engines and the differential (guy I got car from used it as a drift car on all stock parts and drag radials?... really dude? so spider gears were shredded and got replaced with stage 2 helical before 2nd motor install) then after about 2 years my secondary fuel injectors were leaking (bath style) and didn't know it so 850cc were dumping at idle and took my apex seals on rear rotor out on the way to the parts store ironically. (once again knowing what I know now I could have prevented that.) I decided to go another route.

I figure:
13b - 18-24 mpg (mine never got close to that)
4G - 23-32 mpg

the 4g is a tried and true engine and stout as hell
tons of aftermarket support like the 13b but I can drive it daily without worrying about my pre-madona 13b lol (i still love the rotary)

13b - more money to make same power as 4G
4G - makes 500hp by accident

also I have a "scrapyard" of DSM engine parts laying around from misc cars that have entered my place between friends upgrading and just leaving their stockers laying around as well as mine, so basically have like 3 complete engines at my disposal with extra parts laying around.

this swap is costing me so far for the hard parts is 60.00 for the bellhousing, slave cly, clutch fork, and flywheel
and another 40.00 for the aluminum I am building the adapter/ spacer with.

this is a way to get my car back on the road with an engine that I like more for daily abuse and some thrashing abuse (1/4 mile events, maybe some road course events down the road) as well as clean up my garage and back yard of parts.