Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Can u get serious HP without a turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Can u get serious HP without a turbo or supercharger?

Is there anyway to get serious HP gains from the lancer without buying a turbo or supercharger

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Lots and lots of $$$$$.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

No. That is...if you don't want to invest any money into a high zoot NA tune. Lemme dig up my several rants on the subject.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Ok...been here done this: (cut n' paste) The Lancer will not gain any interesting levels of horsepower without SERIOUS work. With an NA tune I'm talking cam shafts (with stronger valve springs for the higher lift duration, not to mention lifters themselves), a cam gear (properly tuned), higher compression pistons and the other good and fun bolt ons, as well as including some mild fuel tuning. That will of course cost you very serious $. As will a competent and properly tuned turbo setup which is retailing for barely under 4k at low boost and no FMIC, and I'm not including the higher turbo tunes with serious fuel management and upgrades or the install price. The Lancer with basic bolt-on = slow but hey, you did tune it a bit. A high spec NA tune is reasonably fast (in theory) but not as fast as it could be (RMR had to add stronger rods to up the compression (so it seems) on their car which again is $). A turbo Lancer is definitely quick but still, nicely tuned Type R's (hell even a stock one perhaps) could eat you up still (depending on the numbers the turbo is churning out). Many many variable to consider. Making this car fast (without a shiny bottle in your trunk), is an expensive task.

An intake, a downpipe (after the header), de-cat, and a full cat-back netted the Lancer only 8 WHP. A header would add only so much more, say bring you up to 15 WHP on the optimistic side. A turbo will take you above your "mark" but it will cost you. Run a search for the topics that interest you before asking anymore questions as I'm very sure they've all been answered.

Lancer + Speed = Money
Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:27 AM

bore as much as possible. ive got an idea... get rid of the O-Z and buy an EVO.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to that idea....insurance for an evo for me is 6,800...and oz is 2,200.....so...there is another money issue.....i can take that extra 4000 in insurance money and hook up the oz alot...which is what i'm doing.
Old Sep 29, 2002, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Not to Hijack but....

Have you turbo OZ guys gotten any final numbers ( dyno or track) to let us know. Maybe I missed it but I haven't heard anything concrete. Ther was a lot of tweaking to be done last I heard.

WADAD
Old Oct 9, 2002, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

zlancer

You definately have the right idea, posting very similar insurance numbers. I was able to buy a OZ for 17G's and will save buko cream on insurance myself.

Insurance Companies rob us!