Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moviemadness
They shoulda thought of it when they brought it into the states.

Even the STi has cruise control.
Remember, we are lucky to have it in the states at all. The European market doesn't care about cruise and the less development work they had to do to bring it stateside was all the better. Just redesigning the front bumper almost made it a no go, let alone engineering a US specific cruise control...
Old Apr 30, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

just learn to control the gas pedal good. lil hit on it & u will be 10mph faster then what u want
Old Apr 30, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

a nice interior is not a luxury but not associated with race cars. do i complain the evo has too simple of an interior? not at all... but i would complain if a nissan maxima or accord has 'raw' interior...

..... i call a civic si a sports compact car... wats in a name? its a sports car, simple as that. there are certain things we take for granted in the evo, for example xenon lights. i didnt expect the evo to have it but it did... hell a car of this caliber doesnt have 14 gallons, its inconvenient but it adds weight and throws off balance so there you are...

its a matter of perspective... want to much toys and not enough performance goodies on an evo then you may have bought the wrong car... maybe something fast but more luxurious like the g35C
Old May 2, 2004, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Mitchubishi, go on I-94 to race. There's no cops there. haha. That's the best highway for weaving like a ****. haha.. I used to have fun there with my turbo teg.
Old May 3, 2004, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

... buy a brick for $.59 cents, sit back, and hold on!

seriously though, you get used to it. In NJ you can't use CC unless it's the middle of the night anyway. You got gramma doing 45mph in the left lane, and tons of trucks in the right lane. Staying at one speed is a challenge!
Old May 3, 2004, 12:33 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by OnlineAlias
The reason there is no cruise on our cars is obvious if you look at it. The (Momo)steering wheel is different from the base Lancer, meaning they would have to develop a cruise system specifically for the Evo, which aint gonna happen.
Most of the Evo is unique to the Evo. Developing a stalk or dash control wouldn't be that expensive or that complicated.

The reality is that cruise control is pretty much unique to the US, and the traditional Evo markets (Japan, UK, etc) don't need it. So, we don't get it.
Old May 3, 2004, 12:36 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mifesto
dude EVERYTHING adds abit of weight.. dont be *****ing about such things, this is a race car.. where do you draw the line with the luxuries? weight will add up, even if small.
Race cars don't have power windows and stereos. Street cars do, and almost every other new car sold in the US has cruise. This is one area dropped the ball. The Evo isn't a race car, it's a rally-inspired economy car, and even Kia's come with Cruise.

*waits for flames*
Old May 3, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

does the JDM suby have cruise control?
Old Sep 26, 2004, 07:16 PM
WH

I just installed a cruise control this weekend!

Well this is my first post here.... been reading alot but have never written anything till now. I too was disapointed in the Mitsubishi not offering cruise control on this car! My evo is a 2003 model (purchased in April of 04) and I now have 2,600 miles on it, I guess I just don't drive it enough.... Anyway I bought this car as my main winter ride and I'll be taking a 5,000 mile trip around Xmas time to the midwest and back (Portland to Chicago and back --been doing this for 11 years now!). So cruise is a must in this car.... I started t to look around and found this company.

Boughtforless.com

http://airandsound.safeshopper.com/index.htm?918

They sell an expensive electronic servo cruise control model SCS 4342/4365 for $189.99. I thought what the hell... so I bought it. Installation is pretty straightforward with the exception of getting the cruise control harness into the engine compartment from the interior. I only had to drill one hole for the cruise control stalk. (Picked #3 on their picture it works fine). Took me a better part of 4-6 hours to install mainly due to reading directions and being very carefui not to make a mistake (yes I drill in the firewall for the harness near the brakebooster). I mounted the servo unit right next to the fuse box under the hood.... it just fits! Cable is the purfect length to run across the valve cover and link back to the throttle cable. I used a quick cable connector (provided) to attatch to the standard throttle cable as there is no mount on the throttle butterfly itself for a cruise. Oh and BTW the VSS wire is the red/black one on the master OBDII plug in under the dash.

Anyways.. if people want picts I can take them and post tomorrow. Overall I'm pleased with the results! $200 and 6 hours of my time... not bad.... and yes I'm an experience mechanic and normally maintain and modify my own cars for the last 25 years.... This kit definately takes some time

WH
7 British cars
6 BMW's
1984 Audi quattro turbo coupe
2002 JCW Mini Cooper S
2003 Lancer Evo
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:03 AM

WH,

I'd appreciate it if you could post some pics on the cruise control install.

Thanks,
Franc
'03 Evo