Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Intercooler Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2004, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler Fluid?

I apologise cause i have no clue if i spelt that right....btw i cant spell at all.

Anyway on with my question. What kind of liquid/fluid is in the Intercooler spray resivwar? Also should that always be set on auto or just spray it from time to time?
Old May 9, 2004, 02:04 PM

i believe it's just water...
i dun really use mine
Old May 9, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

your car comes with windshield wiper fluid in it. But I dont like the idea of that stuff getting sprayed all over the intercooler and the front end of the car. I just use water. Ive heard it doesnt even help, but I still use it
Old May 9, 2004, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water will eventually lead to build-up on the fins, reducing cooling efficiency. The windshield washer fluid works fine. Contrary to public opinion I think the innercooler sprayer makes a noticable difference on hot days. It gets pretty hot and humid around here in the summer and my car definitly feels more sluggish without it. I usually leave mine in Auto mode and let it do its thing.
Old May 9, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sr20det91
Water will eventually lead to build-up on the fins, reducing cooling efficiency. The windshield washer fluid works fine. Contrary to public opinion I think the innercooler sprayer makes a noticable difference on hot days. It gets pretty hot and humid around here in the summer and my car definitly feels more sluggish without it. I usually leave mine in Auto mode and let it do its thing.

Are you sure about the water build up on the fins? I guess we shouldnt wash our cars anymore or drive in the rain? What if you use distilled water?
Old May 10, 2004, 01:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea I'm sure. I guess it would depend on how much you use it, but eventually yes it would. I see no reason to speed up the process by concentrating a water stream into the innercoooler when I can go across the street to 7-11 and get a bottle of washer fluid for a buck fifty. Go look at the radiator in an old car that has been weather beaten. And yes if you are going to use water, distilled water would be the way to go.
Old May 10, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Moving to Newbie Forum.
Old May 10, 2004, 04:20 PM

For what it is worth, the manual says to use either water and windshield whipper fluid. Also with whipper fluid, it is the 'only' fluid you should use in freezing temp seasons (again, from the 'gospel' of the Mistu manual).

Last edited by asymal; May 10, 2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 10, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sr20det91
What type of build-up? Calcium, Iron, Sodium? I doubt any of those, maybe, MAYBE a little bit of surface rust but I doubt that too.
Old May 10, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

I use distilled water and 90% rubbing alcohol (one bottle alchohol the rest water). I generally use this device in auto mode during hot weather, and have only smelled it opperate once so I am not at all concerned about harmful build ups. I doubt that Mitsu engineers would have gotten it past the bean counters if it did not have sufficient merit to justify its cost yet Auto Week tested the spray and concluded it is ineffective.