Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

new to driving high HP car - need advice

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to driving high HP car - need advice

for some reason (probably 'cus i'm way too new to this) i keep having this wierd problem:

it's usually when i'm in 2nd gear, sittin' at around 3k rpms. i'll be crusin' downtown denver all cool or i'll be making a turn, and i'll hit a big bump or a couple of little bumps close together, and my foot'll go crazy back n' forth on the gas pedal.

i feel like a total moron (and i probably am), but this never happened in my manual, stock crx. my car just keeps lurching back n' forth 'cus i can't regain control of the gas pedal and it just keeps going back n' forth - untill i let off completly, or shift or something.

i feel like it's something i can learn to control, i'm just in the break-in period for my engine and i've got a pretty good handle on things so far - i just can't figure out how to keep this from happening.

any help would be great. thanks.
Old May 12, 2004, 05:13 PM

its the 4wd. and ur rite at the rpm near full boost.
Old May 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

so are you saying in need to stay in or out of boost, not on the edge of it?

how many rpms do most of you cruise in? do you cruise around in or out of boost?
Old May 12, 2004, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evolute
so are you saying in need to stay in or out of boost, not on the edge of it?

how many rpms do most of you cruise in? do you cruise around in or out of boost?
yup thats it.. if ur cruzen around stay outa boost , i have simular issues around here lots of pot holes and a dirt driveway i go up the drive way in 2nd or 3rd gear goin about 15 or 20 mph so stay outa boost and itll come to feel natural takes some time.
Old May 12, 2004, 05:38 PM

nofing wrong with staying in boost as long as u like getting jerked around when u hit a little bump. also since the wheels are so wide they tend to curve with the street. so ur wheel jerks also.
Old May 12, 2004, 05:46 PM

I like to keep my foot all the way to the right side of the gas pedal in such situations. Then the side of your foot will be against the trim in the center of the car. This seems to stabalize my foot and prevent that lurching. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
Old May 12, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys! i'll be sure to feel that out and start drivin' however i feel most comfortable, though it looks like that'll be out of boost for me. i'll see i guess!

thanks again.
Old May 12, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Just keep the pedal WOT all the time and hope you dont have to stop.. LOL.

I usually cruse right under boost when im creepin in second gear im usually traveling slower that people like but hey im cheking out the scenery screw them.
Old May 13, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm learning the ins and outs of the turbo driving myself. I try to keep it just under boost, so I know little bumps and stuff won't go out of control. Plus if you're just under boost, it just takes a mash of the throttle to hear that beautiful whine. Yeah, you get more go when you're already under boost, but you'll also eat gas at an alarming rate and wear down your engine faster too.

a
Old May 13, 2004, 10:24 AM

I used to have the same problem. Advice I received on this site recommended pressing my right foot against the center tunnel wall. It really reduced the road bumps being transmitted to the pedal. try that or just lift out of the pedal briefly to stop the jerking.
Old May 13, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

I lifted the seat front so my thigh rests on the seat all the time and added a heavier spring to the throttle. Now I get to control the gas with my foot rather than the road.
BMan
Old May 13, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evolute
for some reason (probably 'cus i'm way too new to this) i keep having this wierd problem:

it's usually when i'm in 2nd gear, sittin' at around 3k rpms. i'll be crusin' downtown denver all cool or i'll be making a turn, and i'll hit a big bump or a couple of little bumps close together, and my foot'll go crazy back n' forth on the gas pedal.

i feel like a total moron (and i probably am), but this never happened in my manual, stock crx. my car just keeps lurching back n' forth 'cus i can't regain control of the gas pedal and it just keeps going back n' forth - untill i let off completly, or shift or something.

i feel like it's something i can learn to control, i'm just in the break-in period for my engine and i've got a pretty good handle on things so far - i just can't figure out how to keep this from happening.

any help would be great. thanks.

That's funny, I had the exact same problem when I got my first car, a CRX Si. The pedal in that car was a lot more sensitive than all the old Chevys my dad let me drive.

I just learned to keep my right foot more steady, sometimes using the center console lower trim area for support like someone else here said.

Good luck, the more u drive your car, the more u will get used to it.
Old May 13, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

it's the drive by wire throttle. it's so sensitive that what happens is one jerk bounces your foot up and down on the gas pedal. As a result. The throttle opens enough to start building boost, then it closes but there's not enough boost to adequately open the bov causing compressor surge. Granted it is only minor compressor surge and probably not something to worry about. You'll get used to the car and eventually it won't happen anymore. Happened to me when I first bought the evo. Happened to my friend and his Z4 when he first bought it too. The key is to be smooth with your acceleration and it might even help to keep it a gear higher than you normally would around town. For example, when turing leave it in 3rd instead of 2nd, that way the gear is longer allowing boost to steadily build in a linear fashion creating a smoother transition from decel to accel. Hope all that makes sense.
Old May 13, 2004, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

neato

Ahhh yes...the unlearnned. j/k

Just keep your head and eyes up, don't target fixate, always leave an opening for an emergency maneuver, watch you're six, turn your head going into every corner, and SLOWLY roll on the gas to get the desired power result. You'll learn...and...in during this time, enjoy every minute of your EVO with a big fat grin on your face!

BTW you'll notice that once into boostable rpm range, the boost and power delivery is actually really linear on the EVO.

Enjoy!

jcnel.
Old May 13, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

thanks again everyone - you've really helped me work that out - i'm really getting the feel for it now.

Quick Reply: new to driving high HP car - need advice