Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why didn't you buy a STI? Why EVo?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love both cars, i no the evo is cheaper to mod and all, but you gotta admit theres no sound like boxer engines. i was originally going to get the evo but i ended up getting an sti. warrenty claims with subi are easier, and there much better off as a company right now.

only pluses are the dccd and the nicer interior + gauges.
its expensive to mod, but looks good.

they are both great cars we should just get along and be happy we're part of this movement of great cars into the us finally.
Old May 28, 2004, 01:43 PM
JDF

Subaru too tight with test drive policy. Mitsubishi made it easy.
Seats in the Subaru too soft and mushy, reminded me of an Oldsmobile Ninety Eight that my friends father had while growing up. Cramped interior.

No Radio. I know it is petty, the Subie sales guy says "they didn't put the radio in to save weight, this is a sports car". I then ask, "why does the car have electric windows, electric locks, and air conditioning. Used to be that 'sports cars' didn't come with those things."
Old May 28, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDF
Subaru too tight with test drive policy. Mitsubishi made it easy.
Seats in the Subaru too soft and mushy, reminded me of an Oldsmobile Ninety Eight that my friends father had while growing up. Cramped interior.

No Radio. I know it is petty, the Subie sales guy says "they didn't put the radio in to save weight, this is a sports car". I then ask, "why does the car have electric windows, electric locks, and air conditioning. Used to be that 'sports cars' didn't come with those things."
please name a sports car that doesn't come with power windows? thats a crappy point. most people who buy these cars change out the stereo anyway. they did it so it could be the same wieght as the evo. SAME EXACT WIEGHT...
Old May 28, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Spec VIII
I love both cars, i no the evo is cheaper to mod and all, but you gotta admit theres no sound like boxer engines.
I personally don't like the sound of the subaru boxer (reminds me too much of that nasty pushrod v8 sound). I may be a minority on this one, but I love the sound of I4 or I6.

As for the reasons why i went with EVO, they were pretty much covered in the posts above, but I would emphasize the steering ratio as well as the size of the steering wheel.
Old May 28, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Several reasons most were already listed but here goes.
1. Crappy subbie dealer here had no STI's in-stock, $5000 market adjustment, would only get one with a deposit, weren't allowed to drive it until all financing was approved, and last but not least they told me they would not service the STI.
2. I like the Evo styling alot better. It just looks more grown up.
3.After driving the Evo I couldn't imagine the STI feeling any better. The Evo just felt right. It just does what you want it to do with no drama, very easy to drive fast.
Having said all of that I think they are both great cars but the Evo just "does it" for me.
Old May 28, 2004, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Don't own an EVO yet but will as soon as the MR comes out
From the test drives I had the STi was a great car until I went to check out the EVO next
I was like WTF? Steering feel and the overall tightness/nimbleness of the car was just way better then the great STi that I had just driven
I dunno but the STi just suddenly felt like a bloated pig with crappy steering response
I also like that sudden burst of power when the turbo kicks in the EVO then the V8 like overall power of the STi, it just felt less thrilling although it was fast
Main thing for me is the handling that sold me on the EVO
Old May 28, 2004, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Spec VIII
I love both cars, i no the evo is cheaper to mod and all, but you gotta admit theres no sound like boxer engines. i was originally going to get the evo but i ended up getting an sti. warrenty claims with subi are easier, and there much better off as a company right now.

only pluses are the dccd and the nicer interior + gauges.
its expensive to mod, but looks good.

they are both great cars we should just get along and be happy we're part of this movement of great cars into the us finally.
Warranty claims are EASIER with Subi? You have obviously not owned a WRX/STi before. I just got finished with my WRX. It took Subaru 3 YEARS to fix the nausiating gas smell that was pouring into the cabin whenever I stopped during the flow of traffic. Try going out to NASIOC and reading about the MANY horror stories of people trying to get their cars fixed under warranty, modded or not.

I had the regional Subaru rep tell me that the WRX was not a performance car and people shouldn't expect it to drive like one. Huh? I've got a whole list of problems that I've had with the car that Subi gave me grief over and all I had for mods were an AXELBACK and a turbo gauge.

Even so, I must admit that I seriously considered purchasing an STi. The DCCD is a nice feature and the car did ride a little better. Interior is completely subjective, but the front seats go back farther (I'm 6'2") and the backseats are actually useable by someone other than a baby in a carseat.

You are right though. They are both great cars, and I look forward to destroying them at the occassional track meet...
Old May 28, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I didn't even consider the STI. The longterm proven reliability of the Evo's engine was what convinced me (friends who have 4g63 eclipses drive and mod the hell out of them and nothing happens).
Old May 28, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_doer
Corrections: The famous WWII japanese fighter planes known as zeros were powered by Nakajima Engines, not Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi,Kawasaki,Nakajima built the airframes for most of the Japanese Air Force. Initially Mitsubishi had engines, but were deemed not powerful enough for the fighter which was Japans pride fighter plane. BTW the design of the radial engine used was copied from American Pratt & Whitney Technology
Furthermore, after WWII Nakajima Airplane Co. became Fuji Heavy Industries, makers of Subarus. My license plate: A6M ZERO. No moral trepidation here.

If Subaru had put their 22B rally motor in the STi, maybe. Then again, nah. The driving position in the STi is lousy, and, any way you choose to look at it, the EVO is simply cooler.

Old May 28, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedomodel
If Subaru had put their 22B rally motor in the STi, maybe. Then again, nah. The driving position in the STi is lousy, and, any way you choose to look at it, the EVO is simply cooler.

Hey, Speedo, how's it going? I couldn't agree with you more! I LOVE our seats...

I REALLY wanted to see Subi bring over the STi with the 22B. Too bad that didn't happen.
Old May 28, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=wojo]I personally don't like the sound of the subaru boxer (reminds me too much of that nasty pushrod v8 sound). I may be a minority on this one, but I love the sound of I4 or I6.
QUOTE]

Minority Agreed: Nothing sounds like a V configured engine. The sound they emit is music especially a V-12 Ferrari, the sweetest sounding piston engine I have ever heard. Nothing sounds as nasty as a open header American V8 with radical profiles in myop. The only nice sounding boxer engines are GT-2 Porsches with their 3.8 L big cam Boxer 6s. The subaru sounds like it has a miss in it's firing order not nice sounding at all.
Old May 28, 2004, 02:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Evo Spec VIII wrote; "please name a sports car that doesn't come with power windows?"

Ferrari Enzo, pinnacle of all sports cars, sports car GOD, doesn't come with power windows.

Then again, you don't see many sports cars with power windows having 99% Carbon Fiber interior.

BTW, you guys kick *** for knowing all these stuff. Must be some old timers in the crowd, or just nerdy. ) j/k. I didn't know about the whole Nakjima airplane stuff. thanks.
Old May 28, 2004, 02:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One more thing. You know STI don't handle so crisp is because of that very 2.5 Boxer engine.

That engine isn't made for the suspension that was made for 2.0 liter engine JDM.

Read that somewhere...
Old May 28, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

1.) STi cost more...at least the Mitsu. dealer was easier to work with.
2.) 4G63 is just easier to mod.
3.) EVO Heritage
4.) Nimble steering response.
5.) The Recaros just 'hugged' right.

As much as I love the 'boxer' sound, the 4G63 w/EVO VIII head with some nice cams and open pipe howls and crackles...as much as I hate the fartcan Hondas that bounce around...the 4G63 just had that refined inline four rasp.

jcnel.
Old May 28, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speedomodel
Furthermore, after WWII Nakajima Airplane Co. became Fuji Heavy Industries, makers of Subarus. My license plate: A6M ZERO. No moral trepidation here.

Code name Zeke is its real name I use fuji film in my camera.

Quick Reply: Why didn't you buy a STI? Why EVo?