Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why didn't you buy a STI? Why EVo?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As said in one of the posts above I did not like the seats or driving position or the steering or handling in the Sti over the Evo it is no comparison. Also the big thing for me was the way power came on the Subie it was to linear I was thinking this thing has a turbo doesnt feel like it. But with the Evo it was was like oh my God when the turbo kicked in. I just love the feel of the psi pushing you back into the seat. Looks where also a big thing for me I felt even with the Evo's big wing it looked more mature.
Old May 28, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh, there's too many reasons! Here's a few I could think of:

1) EVO costs less
2) dealer gave test drives
3) 4G63
4) FMIC vs. Top Mount
5) EVO comes with a radio
6) EVO Recaros were more comfortable (to me) than STI seats
7) 5spd vs. 6spd
8) Most magazines ranked EVO higher than STI
9) I have "connections" at the dealership

Old May 28, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Evo_doer]
Originally Posted by wojo
I personally don't like the sound of the subaru boxer (reminds me too much of that nasty pushrod v8 sound). I may be a minority on this one, but I love the sound of I4 or I6.
QUOTE]

Minority Agreed: Nothing sounds like a V configured engine. The sound they emit is music especially a V-12 Ferrari, the sweetest sounding piston engine I have ever heard. Nothing sounds as nasty as a open header American V8 with radical profiles in myop. The only nice sounding boxer engines are GT-2 Porsches with their 3.8 L big cam Boxer 6s. The subaru sounds like it has a miss in it's firing order not nice sounding at all.

I don't think you guys are the minority, I really liked the STi, but one of the huge reasons I didn't go with it (among others) was because of the engine note. I just DO NOT enjoy the flat 4 boxer note. It reminds me of the Harley V-twins and I find those incredibly annoying. I always see people talk about how wonderful the Subbies sound with an open exhaust and I'd beg to differ, although with equal length headers they do sound very interesting (which should be the case as it rids the car of the oddly timed exhaust pulses that make it sound broken w/ the stock exhaust plumbing)
Old May 28, 2004, 09:19 PM

Welcome to the next incarnation of the EVO v. Sti thread.
Old May 29, 2004, 01:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We could talk about why you bought EVO and Not 350Z.

Or WHy EVO and Not G35 Coupe

or WHy EVo and not RX 8

or Why Evo and not Ferrari 360 Modena (I know why $$$)

or Why Evo and Not Accord

Or Why EVo and Not TSX

or Why EVo and Not Hayabusa

or Why Evo and Not well... you get the point.
Old May 30, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_doer
Code name Zeke is its real name I use fuji film in my camera.
Right on, ZEKE was it's Allied codename, and Fuji film rocks. More geek Zero trivia... The Japanese production name was "Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter Model 11". Its more popular name was Reisen, an abbreviation for "Rei Sentoki" or "Zero Fighter", so chosen for its type number, "0", the last digit in 2600, the then Japanese calendar year.

I've always wanted Ralliart's EVO VI "Zero Fighter".

Last edited by speedomodel; May 30, 2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old May 30, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by plokivos
I just think EVO's just a better car. I'm still fairely lack in quality of Subaru products.

Goto WRX forum. People complaint about their car a lot.
I almost went with Subaru because they are definitely MORE reliable than a Mitsubishi - however, after talking with the Subie buyers - they agree with me but say if you modded it is LESS reliable as you are saying

That given, the only positives I see for the STI is reportedly better ride comfort and more HP

EVO rules! Can't add to what's already been said
Old May 30, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Since the redesign, the Subie looks like a toad plus all the other stuff.
BMan
Old May 30, 2004, 08:06 PM
Pure Win

I just plain love the look of the EVO.. Even though that I dont own a Evo.. that would be my choice
Old May 30, 2004, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
We could talk about why you bought EVO and Not 350Z.
Coming from a former 350Z owner, I must say the only thing I don't like about the EVO is that you don't get that "push" you get from RWD cars. Every time I stepped on the gas in my Z, I'd felt like the thing was trying to push me into the driving compartment.

Anyway, I test drove an SRT-4, an EVO, and I had rode in an STi. While the STi has some good power, I chose the EVO because 1) it was cheaper than the STi, 2) it was easier to mod than the STi, and 3) I fell in love with the EVO after playing Gran Turismo, not the WRX or Sti.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

there is a reason why the evo has a cult status in japan
Old Jun 2, 2004, 06:06 AM
Account Disabled

Well Further more, Fuji Heavy Industry had a sub company called PRINCE, which made SKYLINES, which was absorbed by NISSAN Motors in 1966!

So basically, Mitsu, Suby, and NIssan is all in the same family.

hmmm, interesting.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 06:19 AM
Account Disabled

Yeh, the look of EVO got me too. I went to a design school and this car is just beautiful in every angle.

Even the Altezza serves a purpose, two round LED resembling racing heritage tailights(think of ferrari, DB7 and Corvette stingray) with its HID located very wide on the side of the car making it look wider than it acutally is at night and it's sharp and detailed slim curved lines stirring up every enthusiasts blood, the way the front side air duct hoovers low while the side air tunnels hoovers up to meet up with the blister fenders and hood line gently continuing toward the stream line rear blister fender that links with the rear tailight, continuing all the way to the roof to the hood, aggressively sweeping the heart of the hood with double hood crease streaming down toward the Intercooler "teeth", resembling some sort of speed demon that could appear in the next MAD MAX movie... then the curves start all over again in cycle from side duct to fender to fender to rear tailight to the CF wing to roof to hood to intercooler...

In other hand STI is a chubby fat bastard with cross eyes and fat ***. lol
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Why the Evo?

I have always wanted an Evo, stepdad already has an STi, I drove it, and while it is a wonderful car, it has this strange thing where the steering feels 'floaty' when close to center in transitions. It has more power and feels very quick, but they kinda cheated with a 2.5. While IMO the STi interior looks better (other than the steering wheel) the Evo is far more functional. From the side the STi looks like it has slack-jaw. It looks like the Suby engineers forgot to put a wing on it so glued a plastic hoop to the rear deck.

I traded my WRX for my Evo, and the only thing I miss is the sound. The boxer sounds fantastic with a decent exhaust (no headers).