Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How to Drive the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2004, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you know someone who is a skilled driver, ask them for some advice. This is a totally different car from any other. You're a new young driver and I've seen too many wrecked EVO's already. Most of the drivers that have been killed in the wrecked EVO's I've seen were under 23. Ten years ago my decision making skills and experience were not as sharp as they are today. Remember to always respect the speed and power of this machine... make sure your mind is two steps ahead of the car at all times. You're decision making skills will be you're best friend. Please have fun, but remeber, please be safe too.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolute
usually my temp. gauge starts below the 'C' mark, so i let it warm up to that mark (about 1.5 mins in the morning) then i drive it, but i stay out of the turbo part of the power band untill the gauge gets to normal running temp. (a little below the middle of the gauge).

i don't know if that's best, but it's how i do it.
Same here
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Guack007
Thats what my folks did for me when I was learning. VW rents manuals (or at least they did a few years ago) I learned on a jetta 2.0 5 speed on some really steep hills. Alot of clutch was burned that day and I definatly got my 2 day rentals money worth.
I looked on the VW site and couldn't find anything about renting for two days, only complete leasing. Is this like something on a secret menu where you have to just go in and ask them? I'd be really interested in doing this.

Daniel
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

when i first started it was cold so i let mine warm up until it was at normal driving temp. That took way too long but if you dont have a turbo timer then when it comes time to cool down jus try putting it in nuetral and jus letting it coast to where ever your going. That way you save on gas..off topic* someone said something about lauching..how do you do that?
Old Jul 5, 2004, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

many people learned sticks on the evo. Stalling in first isnt going to do that much damage, if any. Atleast, nothing serious. If you're smart, you wont burn the clutch. The people who burned/broke their clutches were putting mods on. The stock clutch is a weak point with added stress. Nothing wrong learning on the evo. Just note that things will go quicker if you hadnt learned stick prior (aka: clutch).