Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

How to Drive the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2004, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to Drive the Evo

Hey what up guys I am 17 and looking at different cars. The Evo is at the top of my list!!! But I have never driven a stick or a turbo. I have a few friends that will teach me stick (I know how it works just no real drive time). But I know nothing about how to dirve a turbo. What do you do different from a normal car???
Old Jun 23, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

you drive an Evo like its stolen.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

i like and agree with OZevo's answer.

for me, the only thing that was giving me trouble was my daily driving habits. i'd owned a manual before, and i was used to cruising down the road in any given gear at about 3000rpms. but on the evo, that range is right on the edge of kicking in the turbo's power band.

the problem with that is anytime i'd hit a bump or pothole, whatever, my foot would jerk the accelerator. this would cause me to hit turbo for only a second and the whole car would buck wildly, making me feel like an ***. now i just stay a little below that mark on the tach. and my daily driving is smooth as silk.

and just incase you care what i think, i highly recomend a manual transmission over an auto. much more fun - much better control of the car.

welcome to the board.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:39 AM

Hey thanks guys, but I don't think I will need much help driving it fast!!! What I was really asking was what do you have to do with the turbp that you don't with other cars (ie, warmup, cooldown, ect...) Thanks again.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

You need to let the car warmup before you start boosting, and u have let the car idle for a few minutes b4 turning it off.

turbo cars also require better gas and other maintenance things.

If i were you, being a turbo and stick beginner, who stills wants something cool and fast, i'd look at the WRX.

It's got a great amount of power, it's still really fast, and it'll take more abuse. If you've read the board, you'll notice that many people with Evo's have had clutch problems, and Mitsubishi hasn't been a great help.

As a beginner to stick, you are gonna abuse the clutch, it's inevitable. I'd go ahead and get the WRX, learn on that, and after u've gotten it down, upgrade to a Evo.

Just my $.02

P.S.- I learned how to drive stick on a Camaro SS, it wasn't fun
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I would have to disagree. I find that the evo is the one of the easiest to drive manuals out their. Just my opinion.

Since you'll be shifting it slow and dont even know how to launch I dont think you'll have any warentee/clutch issues with it. The power band is going to be very different from most cars out there and just takes time to get use to. While this is not my first manual car at all, it is my first turbo and I have just began to really get the timing of the engine down.

Last edited by Guack007; Jun 24, 2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

but not easy for a person who's learning to drive a stick. By all means get the EVO, but keep in mind as you may or will have clutch and transfer case problems if you don't know how to drive a stick. As someone else suggested get a WRX if you're learning stick and want a turbo car...but that doesn't mean the tranny on that car won't break either...it all depends on how you shift

good luck
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

If you get an Evo, you'll learn the nuances of the Evo very quickly, since you'll want to be driving it every waking moment! But take the time to have someone give you some real-time pointers and practice driving it a lot. The power is addictive, and it's easy to drive it crazy and go right through your clutch.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Replacing a WRX clutch isn't any cheaper than replacing an Evo clutch. And if you drive like crap, your clutch will go. Furthermore, if you plan to buy the Evo, it makes NO sense to buy a WRX first. You'd be wasting your money.

Burn up that clutch and live with it. :P

Just kidding. I think, perhaps, a better solution would be to rent a car for a week. That way the bulk of your really abusive newbie mistakes will get worked out on a car you don't own. And you won't be the dork stalling out his Evo.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hatorade
. I think, perhaps, a better solution would be to rent a car for a week. That way the bulk of your really abusive newbie mistakes will get worked out on a car you don't own. And you won't be the dork stalling out his Evo.
Thats what my folks did for me when I was learning. VW rents manuals (or at least they did a few years ago) I learned on a jetta 2.0 5 speed on some really steep hills. Alot of clutch was burned that day and I definatly got my 2 day rentals money worth.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

wow, people have asked for manual driving tips before and renting a manual car to learn on is a really good idea i haven't thought of yet. but don't you have to be 25 to rent a car?
Old Jun 24, 2004, 04:25 PM

Wow thanks for all the help guys, My martial arts teacher used to be a tuner and still owns a stick and has offered to teach me, I also have a friend who would do the same, and I am sure I could talk my parents into renting if it came to that. Uhhh I hope this isn't a dumb question but you said you need to let it warm up before you turbo, does this mean you can drive it cool and just stay out of the turbo part of the power band????
Old Jun 24, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

usually my temp. gauge starts below the 'C' mark, so i let it warm up to that mark (about 1.5 mins in the morning) then i drive it, but i stay out of the turbo part of the power band untill the gauge gets to normal running temp. (a little below the middle of the gauge).

i don't know if that's best, but it's how i do it.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While our EVOs can take its fair share of abuse, they aren't indestructible. Don't go doing redline clutch drops and donuts all the time or you'll be replacing drivetrain components pretty quickly.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=MudoMonkey]My martial arts teacher used to be a tuner and still owns a stick and has offered to teach me, I also have a friend who would do the same[QUOTE]

use the free resources all you can...my friend taught me to drive on an eclipse spyder gst. With turbos you will learn to think fast, shift fast.

Quick Reply: How to Drive the Evo