Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Seriously, I think I just blew my new evo's engine [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2004, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, I think I just blew my new evo's engine [MERGED]

Okay guys, this questions is very serious to me, for those of you who had evo for a while, please help me out asap. Much appreciated, I just got a new evo last week it has been drove by dealership about 1000 miles, tonight I raced one of my friend's M coupe (Beemer) I launched it at 4000 rpm, I guess I focus too much on the speed didn't notice the Speedometer, when I shift to 2nd gear, I wasn't paying attention, it went up to 9000 RPM and I feel a kick back and car start slowing down, then I shift immediately, after that I SMELL a little bit of rubber burn from INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE. Then I stop the vehicle at a gas station and check out the engine, no smoke coming out but I personally felt it sounded a little louder than before, maybe I was just being paranoid.

Do you guys think one time run accdientally hit 9000 rpm will damage its engine?? Please if you gonna make fun of how I drove the car please do not post, I am really looking for some useful information. I plan to do a oil change tomorrow and I already added half tank of premium shell right after the race. What do you guys think this run will do to the engine?? Any help and information is much appreciated.

Sincerely
Jason Z.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:01 AM

9000 rpm almost blew the motor

Okay guys, this questions is very serious to me, for those of you who had evo for a while, please help me out asap. Much appreciated, I just got a new evo last week it has been drove by dealership about 1000 miles, tonight I raced one of my friend's M coupe (Beemer) I launched it at 4000 rpm, I guess I focus too much on the speed didn't notice the Speedometer, when I shift to 2nd gear, I wasn't paying attention, it went up to 9000 RPM and I feel a kick back and car start slowing down, then I shift immediately, after that I SMELL a little bit of rubber burn from INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE. Then I stop the vehicle at a gas station and check out the engine, no smoke coming out but I personally felt it sounded a little louder than before, maybe I was just being paranoid.

Do you guys think one time run accdientally hit 9000 rpm will damage its engine?? Please if you gonna make fun of how I drove the car please do not post, I am really looking for some useful information. I plan to do a oil change tomorrow and I already added half tank of premium shell right after the race. What do you guys think this run will do to the engine?? Any help and information is much appreciated.

Sincerely
Jason Z.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

The smell is most likely from the clutch burning from the high revs. This smell is expected, if you tend to use the clutch improperly. This isn't a real concern.

I'm guessing that when your engine revved up to 9000 RPM, the ECU did a fuel cut. That's probably the "kick back" you felt. If your car is running still, then it's probably okay. Just make sure you get a good feel for your engine. At the worst, something could have blown, but it doesn't sound like it.

Things like this does happen. There are few posts that talk about it. From the way it sounds, I think you are okay. Hope this helps. And take it easy out on the road and leave the racing for the tracks.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

You couldn't have hit 9000rpm unless you missed a downshift. It sounds more like you hit the rev limiter?

The smell was probably clutch.

Your car should be fine, i've done it before in my Evo. I had a rubbery smell in my car when I got my Evo, Only when I pushed it like you did. It had the same smell in my brothers new STi too.

Its either the new car break in smell or just you burning your clutch, im pretty sure your car is fine though .
Evolving Member

The smell is most likely from the clutch burning from the high revs. This smell is expected, if you tend to use the clutch improperly. This isn't a real concern.

I'm guessing that when your engine revved up to 9000 RPM, the ECU did a fuel cut. That's probably the "kick back" you felt. If your car is running still, then it's probably okay. Just make sure you get a good feel for your engine. At the worst, something could have blown, but it doesn't sound like it.

Things like this does happen. There are few posts that talk about it. From the way it sounds, I think you are okay. Hope this helps. And take it easy out on the road and leave the racing for the tracks.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

You should have hit the rev limiter a long time ago....like at 7800 rpm. That is when fuel cut usually occurs. If you didn't raise your rev limiter, then I doubt you really hit 9000rpm. And if it didn't you shouldn't have anything to worry about since you hit the rev limiter and fuel cut occurred. That's what it's for...so you can't over rev.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:29 AM
Former Sponsor

If you were able to drive it after the race, its a pretty safe bet that the motor is not blown. Keep an eye out for check engine lights. A while back, i blew up the tranny in my old S4. It over reved the motor when this happened, because the flywheel basicly let go at WOT, so the motor spun to 8500 for a sec. When this happened, the car shut off because it fried the speed sensor. (crank angle sensor) After replacing the flywheel and speed sensor the car was fine.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:33 AM

Check your oil level too, see if anything is leaking...Do you have any kind of knocking?

Honestly it sounds like you're going to be fine, just take it easy and practice a little more before racing like that again...It will cost you
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

you did not hit 9000 rpm, the current evos are set to rev limit at 7500 rpms... rubbery smell was probably the cosmoline which is a rust protectant you smell burning off your first 400-1500 miles. Dont worry, whats the worst that could happen, warranty = free new motor!!!
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Just for clarification:

The fuel limiter can only prevent you from over-revving if you (for instance) leave the car in gear and let the RPMs rise to whatever the fuel cut is at. In other words the car is being "powered" to the fuel cut.

However, if you mis-shifted into a lower gear (going for 3rd-->4th, hit 2nd instead) the fuel cut will do nothing for you. The car is mechanically forced (so to speak) to XXXX RPMs (9k in this case), fuel or no fuel.

The former is fine whereas the latter can cause some real damage (bent valves). Judging from your description, it should be all good. Have fun with it, and be careful.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 01:55 AM

I want to thank you guys for your useful information. I used to own a 01 civic, and I found that forum very immature and useless, and extremely hard to get help when you need it like a forum suppose to. I have to say that I am very pleased with the fellas from this forum. I am glad that I got a evo, being honest, i wasn't going to buy an evo at all, but dealership offered me $26000 drive out on a brand new car, so I took it, I love it eversince, one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I will be sure to check my oil gauge and engine lights. Thank you again guys.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by jason9080
I want to thank you guys for your useful information. I used to own a 01 civic, and I found that forum very immature and useless, and extremely hard to get help when you need it like a forum suppose to. I have to say that I am very pleased with the fellas from this forum. I am glad that I got a evo, being honest, i wasn't going to buy an evo at all, but dealership offered me $26000 drive out on a brand new car, so I took it, I love it eversince, one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I will be sure to check my oil gauge and engine lights. Thank you again guys.
$26k? is it a RS?
Old Jul 9, 2004, 02:03 AM

Just to clarify this right quick, I was actually on my 2nd gear when this occur, It wasn't a mistake on any downshift nor switched wrong gear when i should switch to 3rd or 4th, The reason I went up to 9000rpm on 2nd gear, is because after the 1st gear launch, I paid too much attention on the speed and the car behind me and just stepped the gas pedal all the way didn't even look at the speedometer at all. and yes I am almost positive I did SAW the line went up to 9000 rpm. I really hope fuel has been cut way before that. When I pop the hood, the engine sounded more lauder to me, nothing raddleing or anything weird, maybe I was just being paranoid, what does your engine sound like when you pop your hood when it's on? Do you hear quite engine sound or nearly no sound at all like one of those honda electrical cars?
Old Jul 9, 2004, 02:07 AM

the engine is very loud.

Quick Reply: Seriously, I think I just blew my new evo's engine [MERGED]