Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

RWD Vs AWD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoR
Those cars are great for FWD. Evo still = 4wd unless you converted yours to fwd
Acutally those cars are ok. But i had a fwd nissan 200sx with sr20det and will smoke a type r anyday.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 01:39 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
That's irrelevant. With any given engine (assuming it's in the front, of course), FWD will have the highest top speed, followed by RWD, then AWD. A mid or rear engine would be RWD > AWD.
The fastest a FWD car has gone is 212 MPH with a 1000HP turbo engine, a heavily modded tranny, and aerodynamic "enhancements." What's the fastest a RWD or AWD car has gone with that much HP? You are speculating man, I'm calling you out.

Sources? You want sources?
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...18/170946.html
Old Jul 18, 2004, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by TurboMaestro
The fastest a FWD car has gone is 212 MPH with a 1000HP turbo engine, a heavily modded tranny, and aerodynamic "enhancements." What's the fastest a RWD or AWD car has gone with that much HP? You are speculating man, I'm calling you out.

Let me try to clear things up, if I make a mistake, please inform me.

Aerodynamic differences in the front and rear being negligible, it seems that high end speed with a given engine would limited by the efficiency of the drivetrain. A FR layout would be less efficient because the power has to get from the front of the car to the rear. Also transversely mounted engines would probably lose a bit on efficiency because crank is spinning on an axis that is perpendicular to the spinning of the axels. FWD cars would not lose in the above two points. Neither would MR cars like the Lotus Elise, but the Ferrari (pick any mid engine v-8 or v-12) MR layout would lose out on the second part because it's mounted transverse. Now efficiencies can be quantified (very roughly) with driveline losses, this is the difference between power at the crank and power at the wheels. This varies between, again very roughly, 30% for an automatic AWD car and 15% for a manual RWD car with a rear engine (or maybe an FF manual too). So for top end power it's just a matter of efficiency.

Now for drag starts. What you hear about RWD getting faster and FWD getting slower might be a ill stated reference to this. When accelerating off the line, weight transfers to the rear. So a rwd gains traction and a fwd car looses traction, therefore how the cars respond at a standing start differs. This shouldn't matter much once the cars get going though.

Handling is another issue. I'm of the opinion that powerful FWD cars don't work, in general. FWD is asking way too much of the front wheels with power braking and turning. AWD seems to be the best answer to most situations. Front engine platforms sometimes don't have that much weight over the rear wheels so the extra traction helps. Throw in any environmental effects like rain or a lack of pavement and AWD is the only answer. This assumes that the AWD system is state of the art and not one of those that put 90% of the power to the front most of the time. However, on dry pavement on familiar roads in a well balanced car (significant weight on the rear, half or more), not much is more fun that RWD. On a dry racetrack, RWD still seems faster as well. On the dry a mid engine RWD car is preferred. A rearward weight bias, something like 42/58, is better for braking and RWD traction.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 02:16 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Yargk

Aerodynamic differences in the front and rear being negligible, it seems that high end speed with a given engine would limited by the efficiency of the drivetrain. A FR layout would be less efficient because the power has to get from the front of the car to the rear. Also transversely mounted engines would probably lose a bit on efficiency because crank is spinning on an axis that is perpendicular to the spinning of the axels. FWD cars would not lose in the above two points. Neither would MR cars like the Lotus Elise, but the Ferrari (pick any mid engine v-8 or v-12) MR layout would lose out on the second part because it's mounted transverse. Now efficiencies can be quantified (very roughly) with driveline losses, this is the difference between power at the crank and power at the wheels. This varies between, again very roughly, 30% for an automatic AWD car and 15% for a manual RWD car with a rear engine (or maybe an FF manual too). So for top end power it's just a matter of efficiency.

Now for drag starts. What you hear about RWD getting faster and FWD getting slower might be a ill stated reference to this. When accelerating off the line, weight transfers to the rear. So a rwd gains traction and a fwd car looses traction, therefore how the cars respond at a standing start differs. This shouldn't matter much once the cars get going though.

Handling is another issue. I'm of the opinion that powerful FWD cars don't work, in general. FWD is asking way too much of the front wheels with power braking and turning. AWD seems to be the best answer to most situations. Front engine platforms sometimes don't have that much weight over the rear wheels so the extra traction helps. Throw in any environmental effects like rain or a lack of pavement and AWD is the only answer. This assumes that the AWD system is state of the art and not one of those that put 90% of the power to the front most of the time. However, on dry pavement on familiar roads in a well balanced car (significant weight on the rear, half or more), not much is more fun that RWD. On a dry racetrack, RWD still seems faster as well. On the dry a mid engine RWD car is preferred. A rearward weight bias, something like 42/58, is better for braking and RWD traction.
Well put....I just wanted to make it simpler: FWD cars aren't faster because FWD cars have not gone as fast as RWD or AWD cars....
Old Jul 18, 2004, 02:31 AM

Well put....I just wanted to make it simpler: FWD cars aren't faster because FWD cars have not gone as fast as RWD or AWD cars....
Yeah I forgot to mention the part I was writing the post for . The point is that people seem to be talking about the theoretical best set up for top speed. This is a valid subject, but one should note, as your post does indirectly, that rarely are the theoretically best set ups realized. The efficiencies between good MR FR or FF setups are very small compared to the differences in the amount of engineering given to each platform. This argument is also how I explain to people that although the best set up is MR, RR Porsches are better than many MR cars because they are more realized in other areas.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 05:41 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Sentinal
I hardly see how thats irrelevant and besides that even if the RWD car has MORE power than the AWD that doesn't mean its faster. Look at the Mustang Mach 1 It has just over 300 horse power but the Evo has a better 0-60 a better quarter mile and an equal top speed (comparing stock with stock). There is a lot more that determines how fast a car is than just AWD RWD FWD and the amount of horses under the hood.
You're comparing two different vehicles. The Mach 1 weighs more, has different gearing, different weight balance, different aerodynamics. I had hoped people could grasp the "all else being equal" concept, but apparently you can't.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 05:44 AM
El Jefe

If you were going to build a 1000 hp motor, put it in a car, and see how fast it can go... would you put it in a front drive car? I wouldn't, I'd put it in a RWD car. That doesn't mean the FWD platform wouldn't be faster all else being equal. Drivetrain efficiency!
Old Jul 19, 2004, 05:47 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by Yargk

Someone who grasps basic laws of physics! YES! Thanks for posting what I was too lazy to type out.