Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

how bad does your car bog? please help i dont wanna trade in..:(

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how bad does your car bog? please help i dont wanna trade in..:(

i've never driven in another evo so i dont how normal it is but from a stop my car just seems like it bogs down so badly and during daily driving it's annoying and even worse when i'm trying to race without launching..i can even hold in the clutch in a little longer and it still happens which sucks for the weak clutch cuz i dont feel like replacing it at 8k miles...anyways does this happen to all of you? its almost embarrassing to try and race until my turbo kicks in and by then i'm 2 car lengths behind...im supposed to ride with a friend i met to see how his is..i just want all your takes too..i'm almost thinking of trading in for a tsx or rsx-s :-/ those are the only things i can afford off trade in cuz i dont wanna dodge..i will never buy american again...also i feel like i'm not boosting that much at higher rpm's..i'm not paying 700 bucks for the stupid dealer gauges either and if i install aftermarket they'll say the boost problem was my fault from installing the gauges..i dont know what to do i checked all the clamps i could today under the hood and i reset my ECU thinking maybe something would help there..but nothing..so ya any help for these 2 problems much appreciated i dont want an acura if i dont have to..
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Mine did that at first too. But the problem wasn't the car it was me (the driver). The Evo is way different than the Acura I had before it. The Evo is meant for performance and doesn't like to be driven like a granny. You HAVE to give it more gas and rev it up a little thats just the way the car was meant to be driven. takes a little getting used to coming from an Acura because the acura can be driven fast slow granny like or enthusiast like and it will still drive comfortably wheras the Evo is a REAL performance car and demands to be driven as such. Try giving it a little more gas get the RPMs up to 2500-3000 and that will eliminate the bog problem and you wont see the lag that you currently have.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

How much research did you do before you bought this car? It doesn't seem like a lot? Turbo by nature takes time to spool and in the stock Evo it tapers to redline - very easily dealt with. Believe me, if you're thinking about trading in an all-around World Class performance car for an average performer just because you can't "race" people on the street how you want to, you are definitely wasting the potential of this car, and SHOULD trade it in. The Evo is built for so much more than you're trying unsuccessfully to get out of it. You very may well be happier with a car that doesn't require much from the driver.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

where are you out of?

have some fellow evo owners in the area try your car out and see if its the car or you.

i personally never felt the car bogs, unless its REALLY hot out, then yea it feels very sluggish.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

A hot day with the AC on will cause mine to bog. I come from past turbo cars and it's the same everywhere though. You will eventually change you driving style to fit the car. If not then just sell it to someone who can appreciate it.

If you are so familiar with the RSX-s then you will be very familiar with the VTEC lag also. VTEC is all the lag with none of the boost
Old Aug 13, 2004, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

The evo (stock) has very very mild turbo lag, hell I've driven turbo'd cars (mostly older etc) but it feels like you are coasting down a 1% grade till you hit about 4K.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

I think the bog problem is because there's absolutely no torque at 1000-1500 rpm which is where you could accelerate from a stop with most cars. You just eventually got to get used to using a higher engine speed.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mayhem
I think the bog problem is because there's absolutely no torque at 1000-1500 rpm which is where you could accelerate from a stop with most cars. You just eventually got to get used to using a higher engine speed.
I agree, I have had other turbo cars that seemed to have a higher overdrive gear but in 5th the rpms are fairly high for interstate driving. I am still getting used to it, but its definetly designed to be a high revving machine. DOnt be afraid of the gas pedal and clutch, you'll get used to it and it will become natural. Just dont do 5k lauches and pop the clutch or you will be replacing it around 8k.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 07:17 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you think our car bogs... Try driving WRX, now they bog like ****.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

i agree with mayhem and most everybody else on this one... you just have to get used to driving at a higher rpm than you are probably used to driving at. The ONLY time my car bogs is when it's really hot and I have the AC on 3 or 4, and I mean you don't leave your AC on when you are racing so hopefully you can just adjust your driving style a bit and that will cure the problem.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

learn how to drive your evo... It's just a gutless 4 cylinder when off the boost. You just need to learn how to deal with it...
Old Aug 13, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

It only bogs because you don't know how to properly gas/clutch from a standstill. You are likely lifting the clutch much too quickly and/or not giving enough gas.

I have never had a bog problem...and my clutch is 34k miles old.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
learn how to drive your evo... It's just a gutless 4 cylinder when off the boost...
...trying to transfer power to 4 wheels. It takes time to get use to. When have you driven a turboed AWD car? The A/C kills the car too.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
How much research did you do before you bought this car? It doesn't seem like a lot? Turbo by nature takes time to spool and in the stock Evo it tapers to redline - very easily dealt with. Believe me, if you're thinking about trading in an all-around World Class performance car for an average performer just because you can't "race" people on the street how you want to, you are definitely wasting the potential of this car, and SHOULD trade it in. The Evo is built for so much more than you're trying unsuccessfully to get out of it. You very may well be happier with a car that doesn't require much from the driver.
how much research did I do before? just enough to make me buy the car...how much since the 4 months of owning it? research everyday for hours..people tell me i'm obsessed i tell them i love my car..so before you insult me just remember this forum is for me to "research" as you put it..and to get feedback..unless you drive another evo you can only learn from what other people say so please only positive feedback thanx..
Old Aug 13, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

oh and to everyone else except for sterling evo..thank you so much..i've never gotten better feedback on a thread..you guys helped me out a lot sorry for being such a newbie but you guys rock.. ..the other evolution forum usually doesn't give anything for feedback but you guys are awesome i really appreciate it..thank you

Quick Reply: how bad does your car bog? please help i dont wanna trade in..:(