Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo on ice.....what happens??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo on ice.....what happens??

Does anybody know what happens when the Evo hits an icy road? I'm talking a sheet of ice that completely covers the road. I'm going to drive across the country at the end of the year, the last time I did this in my civic I ended up in a ditch in Oklahoma. The road was covered with sleet / ice. Help me, I desperately need an excuse to take the Evo!
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

good times?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

dude, unfortunately the laws of physics don't stop with the evo...

an evo on ice is like all vehicles on ice... at the whim of fate.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
With your stock tires, its gonna get UGLY.. Snow and ICE are not your friend with the stock Advans..

Ice is a tough call, AWD and good all-season tires makes for decent driving in most conditions, but a sheet of ice on any vehicle will be a nightmare. With good tires figure it will handle like any other AWD would on Ice.. If the tires can bite into the ice, you'll be ok, just take it real slow when it happens..
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

^^pjork-master
I'd think that with AWD the evo will be pretty capable on ice with proper care and careful driving. Definitely better than a FWD civic.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

just enjoy the ride.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
good all-season tires
I'd like to think that there is no such thing.

BlueLocal,
Just concentrate on the things that will minimize the threat. Winter tires, slowed driving speeds and driver awareness. Be carefull out there.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
bahah.. Good point... Tires are always a compromise..
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

guys, drove through oklahoma (go sooners) after an ice storm... drove an suv with all seasons (granted not ideal)... any overpass, period... slip-sliding laterally... with everything else on the road... quatros, subies, etc.

yeah, there was also a sail affect from the crosswinds, but...

on the roads, better.... though my girlfriend at the time kept having a heart attack over every bridge... so we stopped for several hours for things to warm up.

lived 3yrs in cinci, oh... there was absolutely nothing that could drive on the ice with winter tires without worries.

yeah, use your head, don't accelerate/decelerate, turn on ice and you minimize your chances of winding up in a ditch...

but, there's no gaurantees... esp. in a state without the infrastructure to address ice storms, like oklahoma.

now, snow and ice... different story. at least with the snow you have added friction. unfortunately it's just ice.

either way, if you choose to go, and take you vehicle... good luck and hope nothing happens.

but i think the better part of valor would be to wait for the oklahoma sun to warm things up, have a cup of coffee, sleep off the night before... whatever, and then get back on the road after the ice melts.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

simple:
1- Ul end up in Heaven

or 2- Ul be the hero of ur town...

heh
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
one way to be sure is get rally snow tires... they have studs in them.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:00 AM
Evolving Member

Just please don't ever use the Advans in anything that looks like it even might contain ice crystals. Last winter I nearly hit my neighbors car across the street just trying to back out of my garage in a little bit of snow.

This weekend I went to show off how well my car handles -- I hadn't realized that the temp was about 50 F. I was very disappointed. Just the temp alone was enough to make the car understeer horribly with the advans on.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:04 AM
Evolved Member

Uh I drove my Evo with the stock advans throught an ice storm we had frozen snow and Ice about 12" deep in most places and the freeways were a total sheet of Ice I still drove back and forth 50 miles each way to work in those conditions and I was in much better shape than most of the SUV's I saw out there... Then again I do know how to drive in snow/ice pretty well yea i still slid around a bit but it wasn't that bad.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:09 AM
Evolving Member

Location: 85296, 99519, 96817,98310,07306,10461(HomeSweetHome), & 00739
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advans suck in winter snow and ice....Trust me I got my Evo last December and had to immediately swap to snow/ice tire with studs and major improvement galore. BTW I'm in Alaska. I could go only as fast as 35 mph on Advans. Icy roads are not forgiving.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

in alaska shouldn't you be driven a snow mobile stead of a race car?? just curious...

Quick Reply: Evo on ice.....what happens??