Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I have a question about the Evo8....help me please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 04 evo and only about 500 miles on it. I dont actually get a grind, but I get a crunch feeling from 2nd to 3rd. Few other evo owners around my way had this same problem, but said went away after they broke their car in about 1200 miles or so. Also I hear that gay rattling sound on the right dashboard that I had in my ralliart when that was brand new also! But other than that, Im broke as hell now I purchased the evo, but Im steadily saving back up and I love the car. If you purchased an evo during august you could have got the 3 year/ 45,000 maintenance free warranty which means free synthetic oil changes, tire rotaions, balance, etc. Pretty good deal in my opinion, for now the only thing that kicks my *** is the gas, but not by much in my ralliart I used to put in about 15 bucks to fill it up and now with the evo around 20 bucks premium. Don't get discourages by the problems people have, of course your going to have problems because it is a high maintenance and powerful performance car. Plus it is still brand new, the evo's only been out not even 2 years yet in the us. If an evo is your number 1 car on your list right now and paying a bit more than an average car per a month is ok (with 5k down around 410 a month) and are willing to put in more maintenance costs than an average car, go for it and this is coming from an evo owner that loves his car!! As I am giving you a thumbs up !!! 8- )
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by fareastkorean
i have an 04 evo and only about 500 miles on it. I dont actually get a grind, but I get a crunch feeling from 2nd to 3rd. Few other evo owners around my way had this same problem, but said went away after they broke their car in about 1200 miles or so. Also I hear that gay rattling sound on the right dashboard that I had in my ralliart when that was brand new also! But other than that, Im broke as hell now I purchased the evo, but Im steadily saving back up and I love the car. If you purchased an evo during august you could have got the 3 year/ 45,000 maintenance free warranty which means free synthetic oil changes, tire rotaions, balance, etc. Pretty good deal in my opinion, for now the only thing that kicks my *** is the gas, but not by much in my ralliart I used to put in about 15 bucks to fill it up and now with the evo around 20 bucks premium. Don't get discourages by the problems people have, of course your going to have problems because it is a high maintenance and powerful performance car. Plus it is still brand new, the evo's only been out not even 2 years yet in the us. If an evo is your number 1 car on your list right now and paying a bit more than an average car per a month is ok (with 5k down around 410 a month) and are willing to put in more maintenance costs than an average car, go for it and this is coming from an evo owner that loves his car!! As I am giving you a thumbs up !!! 8- )
thanks alot man for the details about your car and yes i heard alot of evo owners saying that about there gear grind or w/e......i guess all evos are like that because i heard the clutch is crappy....what imma do is save money and get an aftermarket clutch and see if its still the same...other than that imma make this purchase because like i said before....my friend has a white Evo and i grown to love it because of the performance and how it looks....etc.....thanks again man
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

yea, the clutch is a performance clutch but they coulda done a bit better job, regardless if you mess up the clutch it should still be under warranty. Or just like you said you can go and grab an aftermarket one later on, which is what ima do later down the road when i start doing serious engine mods so itll be able to handle it. Another small thing you should note are the stock evo yokohama tires, you have to switch them to all season ones for the winter season. Which I don't mind because the yoko's wear out quickly so you get to save them for the spring, summer and fall 8- ) Other than that, I love the evo man. I had that ralliart, but the first car i wanted was the evo, i had saved up some and droppped that **** right into the evo and booom got a good *** 400 month payment which is really good for an 04 evo. Go for what you really like, money wont be a problem if u want it that bad, you will work your *** for what you want, know what I mean 8- ) Thats what im doin right now, gonna start doin small mods here and there to the evo soon. Good luck with getting your evo I hope you get it and have a nice time with it.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaViDlyYy
thanks alot man for the details about your car and yes i heard alot of evo owners saying that about there gear grind or w/e......i guess all evos are like that because i heard the clutch is crappy....what imma do is save money and get an aftermarket clutch and see if its still the same...other than that imma make this purchase because like i said before....my friend has a white Evo and i grown to love it because of the performance and how it looks....etc.....thanks again man
It's not a crappy clutch issue, it's a crappy gear synchro issue. If you're getting grinding, then I doubt that a new clutch would help. Adjusting your clutch pedal can help with gear grinding and replacing the stock clutch line with a stainless steel line and removing the restrictor pill along with getting better shifter bushings will also help.

Also if you've got your eye set on a regular Evo, you might want to consider holding out for a 2005 model. IIRC, it will have the front LSD and possibly the larger turbo .... do a search on 2005 evo to see what is changing.

l8r)
Old Sep 4, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
It's not a crappy clutch issue, it's a crappy gear synchro issue. If you're getting grinding, then I doubt that a new clutch would help. Adjusting your clutch pedal can help with gear grinding and replacing the stock clutch line with a stainless steel line and removing the restrictor pill along with getting better shifter bushings will also help.

Also if you've got your eye set on a regular Evo, you might want to consider holding out for a 2005 model. IIRC, it will have the front LSD and possibly the larger turbo .... do a search on 2005 evo to see what is changing.

l8r)
damn i didnt know that....will the 2005 still be an Evo8 and look tbe same?? or something different....as you can see i dont know much about the Evo...im looking forward to getting this car....man i cant wait
Old Sep 4, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

it does have a little bigger turbo. Its called the Mr, has bout 10 more hps, and about 20 more torque. If you like the color of white or graphite then you might like the MR. The mr only comes in those 2 colors for the us models. Also the mr takes off a bit of weight so its more quicker, power wise the mr is bout the same jus that it is more quick because it sheds few hundred pounds 8- ) . And yea they are adding sayc and ayc or somethin I forget. But the dealer price on the car is gonna be around 34-36 grand. O yea and another good thing the mr has 6 gears 8- ) which is cool, but I wouldnt mind a 5 speed, maybe if your tranny freaks up later on go and grab the mr tranny and swap it into the evo. Whatever you do its your choice, an evo is still an evo, if you have one your one cool person hahah. But yea The mr is a good thing to thinka bout i was thinkiing about it but that extra 6 grand can kil me so i couldnt do it. Thats about 600 bucks per month 8- ( with a small down payment
Old Sep 4, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

I have about 800 miles and virtually no problems whatsoever. The only one is a cosmetic thing. The recaro seat covering popped out of the back. Since someone on this thread said it's covered under warranty, I can get it fixed. I don't know why people are getting bad synchros...my tranny has had no problems. Somtimes some gravel can get stuck between your brake pads and rotors and make a screeching sound, but it pops out.
You have to remember this is a performance car, not a luxury. Although the seats are comfortable, the ride can be harsh on some roads, such as cobblestones. It feels as if you are running with a flat on some roads. It's not quiet, engine noise and tranny noise. The interior isn't much to look at besides the seats and steering wheel. The interior doesn't look like a 30k car. As for appearance, I love it. However you have to be into the import scene to respect the exterior. You either like it or hate it. As for performance...well, the Evo is all business. Sticks to the road, instant steering response, doesn't hesitate. Blistering acceleration, so long as you keep it in the powerband. The thing stops like a jet landing on an aircraft carrier.
Why do people say Mitsubishi cars are crap? Eclipse, 3000gt,Galant,Evo. If Evos were crap, then why do they still make them? and in Japan no less!
Old Sep 4, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Just sterotype man, once one guys car breaks down and another one does...oh ****..." man mitsubishi is ****! they are the ford of japan!" thats bull****. Come and try to make my dad change his mind about mitsubishi . Man...do I wish he some how lets me buy this car with my own money. He doesnt want me to spend my own money on this car, it pisses me off!
Old Sep 4, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

no problems as of right now. I'm reaching 10,000 miles. I had to get 2 new tires around 6,000 miles. I use it for some agressive driving so that explains the short treadwear. The clutch is still holding on. The only complaint I have is the problem when modifying the car. Just putting the BOV it makes the car have surges. Then a air filter makes the A/F mixture all funny. It's very sensitive to small mods. engine wise. But a flash supposedly will fix that.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fareastkorean
it does have a little bigger turbo. Its called the Mr, has bout 10 more hps, and about 20 more torque. If you like the color of white or graphite then you might like the MR. The mr only comes in those 2 colors for the us models. Also the mr takes off a bit of weight so its more quicker, power wise the mr is bout the same jus that it is more quick because it sheds few hundred pounds 8- ) . And yea they are adding sayc and ayc or somethin I forget. But the dealer price on the car is gonna be around 34-36 grand. O yea and another good thing the mr has 6 gears 8- ) which is cool, but I wouldnt mind a 5 speed, maybe if your tranny freaks up later on go and grab the mr tranny and swap it into the evo. Whatever you do its your choice, an evo is still an evo, if you have one your one cool person hahah. But yea The mr is a good thing to thinka bout i was thinkiing about it but that extra 6 grand can kil me so i couldnt do it. Thats about 600 bucks per month 8- ( with a small down payment
That's not entirely correct ... check out the specs: https://www.evolutionm.net/features/newsitem/75

For 2005 it looks like all Evo models will make the same power, since they all get the slightly larger turbo and they also all get the front LSD.

DaViDlyYy, the 2005 Evo will still be the Evolution VIII and it will pretty much look identical to the current models.

l8r)
Old Sep 4, 2004, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

17k on mine thus far:
  • Stock Clutch with 9 launches
  • Stock brakes
  • No second or 5th gear grinds
  • Replaced tires twice due to alignment problem from the factory
  • Lot of haters (car vandalized)

I give it:
Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:06 PM

thanks for all the replies guys....that helps me alot...hope to see more responses
Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

I love mine...have had it 16 months. The clutch is wimpy and the trans is not much either (it grinds more than it should when I down shift and yes I am very experienced), so far nothing has broken.. I got to see what's behind the plastic.. high strength steel bracing..this car is built. You better call your insurance co. for a quote. Gas economy, tire cost and mileage, brake pad cost and life, are all things you should look at. This car isn't cheap to operate, but is wicked fun to drive. I would buy it again but only after Mitsu soves its financial problems. Mine is wait'in on mods. I am looking to go to near 400 bhp and a little tune on the suspension to improve how it rotates.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

I've got about 7,000miles on mine. Have changed the engine oil 3 times and the transmission once. No problems yet, clutch still works great, probably because I've never launched it. Everything else is still great, awesome car . TWO THUMBS UP
Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:48 PM

15,000 miles and 18 months old. My daily driver & not a single problem. If you do not plan to abuse this car, it will be as good as gold. Real value for money. Very enjoyable to drive. If you can afford it buy it!

Quick Reply: I have a question about the Evo8....help me please