Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I have a question about the Evo8....help me please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question about the Evo8....help me please

Im planning to purchase an Evo8 for myself but i have some question to ask for the other Evo owners out there....before i do make this purchase

1. I wanna know what kind problems have you had in the past with the Evo8.
For Ex. Motor problems, Suspension problems, etc.

2. Is it worth it to purchase an Evo? I really want to purchase one for my self....but i heard alot of people doesnt like it...soo i need the Evo Owners out there to help me on the situation....thank you very much guys
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't had a peep out of mine.

Typical problems are:

1. Bad second gear syncros
2. Bad fith gear syncros (TSB on this one)
3. Super sticky advans wear out quickly
4. You can kill the clutch quickly if you launch the car alot

I love mine so much that I am getting one for the wife also.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

The car itself, motor-wise, gets none to very little complaints on this forum. The car is awesome!!! Go out and take a test drive, Im almost 100% sure you'll love it. The car handles like its on rails! The Evo 8 is worth the purchase. Do some research on the web and here on Evolutionm.net about the car. Good luck dude.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:48 PM

thanks alot man for the details.....

one thing is that ive been in the Evo8 before because my friend purchased a white one not to long ago and i love the way the performance/handling/etc. of the car soo much....its just that people has talk bad about the car and said its a Mitshubishi thats why the car is crap.....soo i just wnana know personally from other Evo owners if they had any problems with the car before....cause my number 1 choice a new car right now is the Evo.....soo thanks again guys for the help

I would like to hear more opinions on the other Evo Owners on this board.....thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nrcooled
I haven't had a peep out of mine.

I love mine so much that I am getting one for the wife also.
Me neither and me too!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

15,000 miles and no problems thus far. Just gotta take care of it right and itll take care of you right!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with what LancerEVOVIIISD said...but

From day one I have had the famous 1-2 grind. They say NOTHING is wrong with it. Yeah right...anything above 6k rpms I can't get into 2nd. I started to develop the 5th gear grind...anything above 4500rpms I can't go into 5th with out a small grind. Now 4th is starting the same thing as 5th. I hate the trans...but the car itself is AWESOME...but due to recent problems...I'm considering selling it to free myself of unwanted attention from the local popo. They are out for all imports because of kids getting into accidents and racing on the street. I'm 31...I don't race on the street...I have a kid that rides with me...I'm not an idiot yet they treat me as one...I'm tired of it.

Moral of the story...it might have problems...but treat her right and she should be good to you. Just expect unwanted attention
Old Aug 31, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

I have 36K on mine. Problems include:

1. A/C switch replaced (warranty)
2. A/C fixed (warranty) stopped blowing cold
3. 14k clutch went out (pushing car, but only several launches 5k)
replaced with hks stage 2 diamond double plate (1700 with installation)
4. Carbon Fiber wing replaced due to peeling (warranty)
5. Recaro covering popped out of backing of driver seat (warranty)
6. Back rear inside quarter plastic panel came loose due to wind damage which broke the inside snaps (warranty)

Currently getting ready for the third set of tires. Word to the wise, if you dont have the change to keep this beast in shape, dont buy it, you will be wasting your time. And if you like to mod, it doesnt come cheap.

Otherwise, I am glad to start up my car every morning. Yeehaah!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancealott
And if you like to mod, it doesnt come cheap.
I think that the price of mods are about average (not as cheap as a civic) but still reasonable.

I have the 1-2 grind in my car but I never launch it so it doesn't bother me. I would say that the car itself is awsome but some good advice was given in a previous post. You do need some coin to keep it running well

Redline or Amsoil Gear Oil is not cheap
Mobile 1 is not cheap
93 octane is not cheap

I spend about as much in gas as I do in car payments
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
As long as you realize what it costs to maintain the car it's definately worth it.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Clutch at 10K, transfer case at 11K starter froze around 12K. Would never buy an 03 evo again. Would buy the new MR though.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

No problems accept the 5th gear syncro, but this was replaced under warranty. I would defiantely recommend this car. It lacks luxury features, but has the most need daily features, power windows, doors, remote open/lock, moonroof, AC, decent stereo etc. Defiantely a blast to drive and still a good daily driver even mildly modified like mine.

Car has been received very warmly by the press, which is not easy. Automobile Magazine "car of the year", Sport Compact Car Magazine "car of the year", and recently named #1 all-time sport compact car!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaViDlyYy
its just that people has talk bad about the car and said its a Mitshubishi thats why the car is crap...
Who has told you that? Really, performance wise, it's almost impossible to find a car that comes close to the Evo for what you put into it. You do have to "put into it" and that's the point at which you have to decide if it's worth it to you. The maintenance is higher that your average car, but the rewards are FAR greater, especially to an enthusiast like me. Really, the only people I've heard say that the car is crap are:

1. People who have been screwed by Mistubishi (Not many, but highly visible on a widespread board like this).

2. People who drive competing, and often more expensive cars (Cobras, STis, M3, etc.) or only like "American Muscle" and can't stand the thought of a 2L Japanese car that kicks their a$$.

3. People who want an Evo but for some reason can't have one (generally $$$).

It's a great, well-built, time-tested car/engine and an undeniable performance bargain. Plus it's great looking
Old Aug 31, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely do the research on (routine) maintenance costs before you buy this car. IMO quite a few people get an Evo, barely being able to afford it to begin with and then get killed come maintenance time. Driving style will also play a big factor in exactly how much your maintenance will cost. The bottom line is, if you can afford the payment plus maintenance costs ... GET ONE!!! No other car I've ever driven compares....
some notes:
- currently at 14K miles
- original stock items include: clutch, brakes, tires
- a few upgrades

only issues so far:
- 1-2 shift grind at high rpms
- popped the air intake hose off the throttle body twice so far (knock on wood)

l8r)
Old Aug 31, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Buy a used one! Save $$$$$.

Quick Reply: I have a question about the Evo8....help me please