Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo IX Wagon Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX Wagon Conversion?

Has anyone here attempted the Evo Wagon Conversion? Is it as simple as importing a cut Evo wagon over here and swapping everything into a Lancer Sport back?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:58 PM

Good question....I have been pondering this project for over a year!

Hope someone on EvoM will have an answer....
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

I've never seen the conversion attempted myself.

To recreate a genuine evo 9 the best you can you need to use an evo 9 sedan for the base car. The evo 9 wagon is very similar to the sedan and does not have a lot in common with other lancer wagons. Here's a good thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=590150

That said, I've seen some excellent work of guys converting mirages into earlier gen evos that do the job really well.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:40 PM

Bump for more info from other members!!!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

This would be ridiculously expensive and you'd be pretty much ruining an Evo 9, especially when it comes to it's resale value.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tetsugen
Has anyone here attempted the Evo Wagon Conversion? Is it as simple as importing a cut Evo wagon over here and swapping everything into a Lancer Sport back?
I've researched this alot & for a long time, mainly due to me being a Mitsu Evo Nutcase and a wagon lover & building a Libero GT spec'd wagon into an aussie CC lancer shell, which was pretty straight forward (well read on to see what I mean a CT9W conversion is NOT straight forward)

The CC wagon shared the same base chassis as the awd Libero GT wagon.

I sourced a aussie CC Lancer wagon + evo II RS front cut & a Libero GT rear cut from japan.
the front half was straight swap, the rear was a little trickier but in brief just needed to unpick the lower trailing arm mounts and assoc brackets and welding them in to the cc wagon chassis.

On the flip side The CT9W Evo 9 Wagon was based on the Cedia AWD wagon being CS5W and the CT9A chassis.

here's the differences.

CT9W is 15mm longer between the start of the rear door and wheel base over the cedia wagon chassis.

The rear awd set up in a cedia wagon has completely different suspension and pick up points than the FF cedia wagon and the awd CS5W cedia awd wagon.

There are around 55+ parts & steel pressed chassis panels that are different to the Cedia wagon and the CT9A chassis.

The CT9W rear doors share's the same window down parts off the CT9A rear doors, but the 3/4 glass & main window glass and its surround differ but are specific to CT9W model.

Most of the rear from doors back to beaver panel are all CT9W specific.

You could do a CT9A engine and driveline Transplant into a wagon the easiest model to do this is the 2001 Cedia CS5W model due to the front end wheel arch skirt panels and radiator support panel + all ready has the rear driveline and fuel tank in place (But internal diff ratio's may need to be changed I cant confirm as I haven't researched that Far to date)

In saying this way you still wouldn't have the rear pumped doors or 3/4 panels to run CT9A spec wheels as they wont clear of the Cedia AWD lower control arms AWD rear suspension set up.

You could do the CT9A/W rear suspension conversion into a Cedia chassis as from the 10 o'clock position of the rear wheels back to the beaver panel the main chassis rails are the same, that would still mean that you would need to do a custom outter skin panels for the rear doors and 3/4 panels to fit over the CT9A/W bigger wheels.

2500 CT9W's were produced in total.

September 7, 2005 press release states that .
Sales target: 2,500 (limited edition)
Available at: MMC affiliated dealerships throughout Japan

August 29, 2006 press release sales figures
Lancer Evolution Wagon MR (GT/GT-A): Total of 1,500 units,
(500 manual versions and the remaining 1000 were all GT-A auto's.)

Below here have all been Taken from saved PDF Press releases (I'd had saved many moons ago)
Under stand that this is a press release and isnt 100% correct information!

As I have found out through my research Via Mitsu CAPS.

3. Body

Lancer Evolution Wagon uses the same platform (engine compartment, front floor and rear floor) as Evolution IX.

The body takes Lancer Wagon's side panels and roof panel and adds reinforcements at the A, B, C and D pillar joins.

The addition of a large floor cross member reinforces the joins between the rear floor, rear wheelhouse and body side structure and brings a substantial increase in torsional stiffness.

Major reinforcements have been added to the joins between the rear floor, rear end panel and the bottom of the D-pillar.

The addition of a reinforcement at the top of the rear shock absorber mounting and an extra 50 spot welds in the tailgate opening help realize a lightweight and very stiff body at a minimum weight.

Lancer Evolution Wagon uses the lightweight alloy engine hood and alloy front blister fenders from Lancer Evolution IX and the Lancer Wagon tailgate with oversize tailgate spoiler used on the Lancer Wagon Ralliart model.

The Evolution Wagon-exclusive rear bumper borrows the Lancer Evolution IX design motif.

Flowing from the trailing edge of the rear door, the edgy rear blister fender slips down and disappears under the rear quarter panel in a design that takes its cue from the front blister fender.

Available as a dealer option, a rear high-performance sway bar enhances the already superior levels of rear end stability which realizes steering response and handling characteristics unparalleled in the station wagon category.
Yes they didn't make this one easily achievable at all, I'd suspect this mainly all points to why they decided on the low number of builds for the Model.

In Parting..... Yes I'll build a CT9W just like my Libero GT build, but this one has become 1000 times more involved technical and research wise. (whats another 5years going to harm) lol Yeah the obsession continues.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:36 PM

I currently drive a 2004 RalliArt Sportback

I have an opportunity to buy the entire front (hood, headlights, fenders, bumper) and side skirts from an EVO VIII, is this an achievable conversion? I am just looking for the aesthetics not the performance. I will then have to work something for the rear and run a lower offset wheel or wheels spacers, I might get the Evo VIII wheels too.

The price might be too good to pass on.

Last edited by GREATWHITEEBOLA; May 14, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Something like this?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...test-road-test
Old May 15, 2013, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

In the US, I'd think the 2004 ralliart sport back wagons rear could easily be grafted on to an Evo 8 or 9. The ct9w bumper is probably different than the sedans jdm rear
I'd personally love a ct9w but for the time and money I might as well buy a cheap SUV
Old May 15, 2013, 10:28 AM

I have researched and discovered the front end conversion is a nonstarter. The EVO suspension is set about 6 inches forward.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jamdown
In the US, I'd think the 2004 ralliart sport back wagons rear could easily be grafted on to an Evo 8 or 9. The ct9w bumper is probably different than the sedans jdm rear
I'd personally love a ct9w but for the time and money I might as well buy a cheap SUV
Yes, the bumpers are different. The area where the lift gate opens is wider then the trunk opening. Nothing that grafting the 2 bumpers together couldn't solve though.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:31 PM

Doing a conversion on a frtWD wagon with evo 9 parts only the front end will work just as front Kframe pick up points are different.

Also grafting CT9W rear quarters doesnt exactly work due to the ct9w being 15mm longer and having completely different rear side panels and ct9w floor pan is unique to ct9w's nothing like the AWD cs5w wagon even.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:24 PM

Has anyone considered just grafting on the rear wagon assembly onto a Evo? Basically just attaching the rear wagon hatch to the Evo body. Wouldn't this work?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iformapak
Has anyone considered just grafting on the rear wagon assembly onto a Evo? Basically just attaching the rear wagon hatch to the Evo body. Wouldn't this work?
The rear of the standard wagon isn't as wide as the evo sedan/wagon. Compare the rear arches, you can see the difference.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:34 AM

I own a CS5W Ralliart in Japan but you cannot take it back to the states. The wheelbases between the sportback in the states does not match the EVO in the states but the sport back(lancercedia wagaon or CS5W) from Japan and found in various other countries are a perfect match. The only problem I have is that the EVO body is more solid than the sportback or CS5W. It would make things easy just to cut the tail off of a sportback and throw it onto an EVO except that the rear doors are not exactly friendly with the wagons tail and you need the wider fenders for the wider stance the EVO has. I was sad to find out that my car cannot be taken back.

Quick Reply: Evo IX Wagon Conversion?