Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Egt vs wideband?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egt vs wideband?

Just wondering why anyone would have a EGT gauge and a wideband? if someone could please explain... thanks I was thinking about purchasing a wideband, boost, and oil pressure... but someone told me to look into EGT
Old Dec 25, 2007, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EGT's Gauges are a great tool. A few years back when Widebands were very expensive(1000.00), they were a good choice for tuning and as a safety item.

Now days, with New and Better Widebands avaliable at a very reasonable price, EGT tools are not needed.

Loging software can be used to plot Boost, RPM, A/F, Knock, etc. The Wideband should be enough.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

thanks
Old Dec 25, 2007, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EGT gauge is very important for optimal tuning. You can get around it thanks to knock sensors and other factor sensors. However, if you want to tune to the point where your car is at the peak power with the setup. An Egt will let you know.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
EGT gauge is very important for optimal tuning. You can get around it thanks to knock sensors and other factor sensors. However, if you want to tune to the point where your car is at the peak power with the setup. An Egt will let you know.
if you don't mind going more into detail with that.... egt basically measures how hot its running right?
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder

Yes, Sir
EGTs are very important to a member who has a race car or Hi power car and wants to log them for maximum tuning and HP as you put it.

However, what is the average Evo owner going to do with it?
95 percent of the members do not tune the car themselfs, nor have the inmediate ability to correct for a Hi EGT reading on the spot.

Ex: So he EGTs read Hot(HI), what can you do without a tuning tool? Let off the Gas, that is it.

Without the ability to correct fuel, timing, etc. what good is it.

The Wideband works just as good as the EGT's tool.
The A/F on the Wideband goes lean, you get off the Gas. Same thing, and one less Gauge to keep and eye on.
You can only look at so much.

Boost and A/F's are the most important. Oil pressure and fuel pressure are next. If using Methanol, those warning devices are also important to keep an eye on.

If you got a Zentronix and it is hooked up to the EGT and Meth like TTP sets them up as a safety devise that cuts boost when the temps are Hi, that is nice. Again, it is a good tool, but the average set-up don't needed if there is a Wideband.

Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
Yes, Sir
EGTs are very important to a member who has a race car or Hi power car and wants to log them for maximum tuning and HP as you put it.

However, what is the average Evo owner going to do with it?
95 percent of the members do not tune the car themselfs, nor have the inmediate ability to correct for a Hi EGT reading on the spot.

Ex: So he EGTs read Hot(HI), what can you do without a tuning tool? Let off the Gas, that is it.

Without the ability to correct fuel, timing, etc. what good is it.

The Wideband works just as good as the EGT's tool.
The A/F on the Wideband goes lean, you get off the Gas. Same thing, and one less Gauge to keep and eye on.
You can only look at so much.

Boost and A/F's are the most important. Oil pressure and fuel pressure are next. If using Methanol, those warning devices are also important to keep an eye on.

If you got a Zentronix and it is hooked up to the EGT and Meth like TTP sets them up as a safety devise that cuts boost when the temps are Hi, that is nice. Again, it is a good tool, but the average set-up don't needed if there is a Wideband.

You're right. But I tune my car I run meth, and high egt's are something you have to look out for. I have a failsafe that lets me know if I have passed a certain threshold as you mentioned it cuts boost and sets off an alarm.

When I go WOT i look at my zeitronix gauge which lists all sensors installed. I glance at each parameter to make sure they are within a certain window and also use the butt dyno.

EGT is a good tool. If he gets flashed or starts tuning himself he can look out for his egt's to make sure they are around the same temp. It's an option and like you said not 100% necessary for the average joe...

...who wants to be the average joe?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like said above with meth setuo get the EGT....you wont regret it
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:15 AM

An EGT is a good tool to have but if you are not going to tune your car to the edge or run meth a wideband would do just fine.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Why not both? EGT and AFR are 2 different values. Sometimes they go hand in hand sometimes not. Next time you are at the doctors office do not let them chose to take your temperature OR blood pressures. You need both to determine your condition. Same with the engine, those are critical parameters which should be monitored.
Heat makes power, heat kills engines. (Among other devils like detonation etc.)
Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think that for tuning purposes AFR's are indispensable as a logging tool. By contrast EGT's provide indispensable information on the fly.

I happen to drive my Evo daily(about 200 Kms.) on a mountain road with some long(20 Km.) uphill mountain pass climbs with 2500 ft of elevation change.

In a turbocharged car, running higher than stock boost levels, on very steep uphill grades for prolonged periods of time, it is essential to keep an eye on the exhaust gas temperatures. A pyrometer will let you know when to take your foot out of it. Both gauges are extremely useful. I say get both.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 29, 2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

From my days with honda, an egt is a good tool to be used as ref. if you are tuning your egt will go up when you advance to much timing and when you retard timing. If you noticed when you go to a dyno they do not use egt's only widebands ( the tuners I deal with anyway) When you tune your car you car use the egt from then as a ref because if you go lean it will show. But as far as tuning from my exp a wideband is best then your egt can be use from then on to see if you go lean fron there.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

i have a EGT and WB... i use the EGT to tune my timing, and for when im offroading and the car starts to get hot. The WB is great for letting me know what to change my fuel map to.

WB = fuel
EGT = timing/peak torque measurement (more heat = more power = melted pistons)

i tune everything myself...and have my laptop in the car 90% of the time.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kobi2002
If you noticed when you go to a dyno they do not use egt's only widebands ( the tuners I deal with anyway) .
Yeah, um because they would have to drill a hole in every customer's exhaust manifold and then install a plug afterwards.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Yeah, um because they would have to drill a hole in every customer's exhaust manifold and then install a plug afterwards.
You got me

Quick Reply: Egt vs wideband?