Notices

WORLD DEBUT - Do Luck Evo X Duckbill Trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John83
yeah, it's not bad. i couldn't afford to have it blended... the rest of the car is waxed so maybe it'll look better after a while. in person it looks great!!! oh and thanks
how much was it? what was the quote for blended? PM me if you don't want to say.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

paid $300. i didn't really bother asking about color blending. one shop said $700+ to "tint" the paint.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:13 PM

Nice do-luck! nwayz, did you take off all the hardwares from the oem including the interior lid, hinges, etc? Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

there were 2 bolts each side holding it onto the hinge bracket, extremely easy swap. yes i used oem hardware.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:06 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
John -- the trunk looks great! OB always has that "pop" effect, such a nice color!

- Jason
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
bump for an awesome trunk and great company.

also, bp, you got pm
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jblade
how much was it? what was the quote for blended? PM me if you don't want to say.
The paint shop I went to for OBP paint on a trunk lid charged me $350, I brought in my gas tank door and they matched that. To do a "blend" means you leave the car with them and they wet sand the top of the fenders where the body panel meets the trunk and they re-spray on those areas and then do wet sanding again and literally blend the color into the trunk and that will run you $650-900 depending on the shop.

The end result on my OBP paint job on a trunk lid was a perfect match in the sun, but in the shade (ie garage) it has a very slight purple hue
Old Apr 9, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Frankiago, you got pics? mine is off a little too, and yeah it seems to match nearly perfect in the sun. btw, i beat you to it! muahaha!
Old Apr 9, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good John. You might want to try adjusting the bumpers on the passenger side a little so the trunk looks more even.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i know....i had it perfectly adjusted when i dropped it off, they just slapped it back on. this weekend i'll be sure to do that

wait a minute, what bumpers are you talking about?

Last edited by John83; Apr 9, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

John my trunk was just an OEM one, was just commenting on how OBP is damn near impossible for a paint shop to 100% match. I'll try to get some better pictures after I wash her down today.

The bumpers might be the two rubber things that the trunk rests on? Ionno...

My brother helped me install my trunk and we did several test fits, unbolted the bracket from the trunk, re-bolted it, tested, unbolted, re-bolted, etc.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I don't know. I thought maybe you could use those to adjust. I just put mine on and it magically fit perfect with one try.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Yeah I don't know. I thought maybe you could use those to adjust. I just put mine on and it magically fit perfect with one try.
There's no adjusting with those... it's just a rubber grommet and a hole, it pops right in and nothing more can be done unfortunately.

If the trunk was made of a metal, you could bend the section that holds those rubber plugs either out or in for fitment, but with CFRP and FRP there is no bend, just crack

The fitment boils down to what you do with the brackets on either side, there's generally some slack and play with the two mounting holes, so it may take a few tries but it definitely has some room for correcting fitment issues.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
bump for an awesome trunk and great company.

also, bp, you got pm
your car is sexy
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
There's no adjusting with those... it's just a rubber grommet and a hole, it pops right in and nothing more can be done unfortunately.

If the trunk was made of a metal, you could bend the section that holds those rubber plugs either out or in for fitment, but with CFRP and FRP there is no bend, just crack

The fitment boils down to what you do with the brackets on either side, there's generally some slack and play with the two mounting holes, so it may take a few tries but it definitely has some room for correcting fitment issues.
yeah i had to adjust with those brackets when i originally instaled it unpainted.

Quick Reply: WORLD DEBUT - Do Luck Evo X Duckbill Trunk lid