Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Splitting trans from motor help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014 | 08:31 AM

Splitting trans from motor help

So pulled my motor, sending Trans to Buschur except having trouble splitting Trans from motor. I used screw driver to pry tob back except still can't pull Trans off. My clutch fork won't move now so is tob stuck possibly? Anyone have this issue? Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Might have to unbolt flywheel from the back, if you cant get TOB to release.. its a pain
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 08:39 AM

i had the same thing hapen to me with my IX. you have to mke sure everything is lined up so bolt the tranny back onto the motor. then you just gotta get a flat head in there and pry that clutch fork and throw out bearing. careful not to damage your tranny because ive seen people crack it trying this
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jhoff004
i had the same thing hapen to me with my IX. you have to mke sure everything is lined up so bolt the tranny back onto the motor. then you just gotta get a flat head in there and pry that clutch fork and throw out bearing. careful not to damage your tranny because ive seen people crack it trying this
Ok I'll try this. I mean I know I moved it but I guess not enough.
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by twabtoxer
Might have to unbolt flywheel from the back, if you cant get TOB to release.. its a pain
Aren't the fly wheel bolts going to be covered by the pressure plate??
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

multiple large flat head screw drivers from both under and side. I found it to be easier with two people working it.
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Joshthree6three
multiple large flat head screw drivers from both under and side. I found it to be easier with two people working it.
So it's just a matter of working it out of the wavy clip?
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboback1243
Aren't the fly wheel bolts going to be covered by the pressure plate??
I think he meant the pressure plate bolts. I could not figure out how to get the TOB to pop off since it was my first time doing a tranny swap on any vehicle. Anyways I was able to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel going through the clutch fork hole and spinning the crank to get each of the 7 (I think) bolts out of the pressure plate. I then pulled the entire tranny and clutch out of the car and then popped off the TOB very easily
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
I think he meant the pressure plate bolts. I could not figure out how to get the TOB to pop off since it was my first time doing a tranny swap on any vehicle. Anyways I was able to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel going through the clutch fork hole and spinning the crank to get each of the 7 (I think) bolts out of the pressure plate. I then pulled the entire tranny and clutch out of the car and then popped off the TOB very easily
I meant that yess..
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Everyone likes pictures, right?

Fresh and clean from sheptrans.
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
Ok cool I'll give this shot as well. Next question with my tob being connected to my clutch fork will the Trans still come off or is the fork supposed to be disconnected somehow?
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by twabtoxer
I meant that yess..
Ok lol
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 09:15 AM

Disregard clutch fork question lol
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 09:21 AM

yea for me the hardest part replacing my clutch was not getting the tranny in and out it was getting off that damn motor. but it will never come off is everything isnt perfectly lined up.
Old Feb 14, 2014 | 09:26 AM

jhoff004 did you unbolt your pressure plate to get it off? The same thing for me too I got the motor out and transfer case off in a breeze now I'm at a dead stop.

Quick Reply: Splitting trans from motor help