Notices
ExtremeTurboSystems.com – WA Custom Intercoolers, Intercooler Kits, Turbo Kits and Performance Parts. [Visit Site]

The 58 trim. A tuner's perspective

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
The 58 trim. A tuner's perspective

This last weekend I had the opportunity to go out to Wichita for a tuning day and spend sometime tuning a IX with the ETS 58 trim on both E75(winter blend) and 91 octane pump.

The IX belongs to Pegasus here on EvoM, and when I got there we had a little work to do. Threw in some FIC1050 (flow sheet shows them as 1100s) and add the 3 bar were about it. A quick doublecheck and tuning we went.

So the car has on it in addition to this fine turbo kit, cosworth 272s, ETS 3" FMIC, ETS intake with the Buschur type air filter, 3" TBE, full ICPs, etc. All the normal suspects you might say. After we got the injectors dialed in and idling correctly we went for a drive and made a few pulls to get the WOT AFR's right. Once this was done, we needed to do some logging. Out to the boonies for a quick pull at low boost (17.5) I noticed a few things.

Cosworths really like to wind out with a big turbo. They peaked about 7500 or so based on my logs and I have to say I was very impressed with them on something like this. The 58 trim really builds boost fast. This isnt a turbo that you just roll into at 2000rpm like a stocker, but give it a 3000rpm start and we were seeing 17.5-18 by 4100 very regularly. Its comparitive airflow showed that at 18psi with this kit and those cams the MAF was moving as much air as my car does at 22psi at redline and S1's. This is the limp home map, so we didnt even really spend as much time on it (or boost) as we could have. Since time was running short we needed to get some other stuff done. The tune day was to be saturday morning (I hadnt slept in a day and a half), and in addition to this Evo there were some subarus and a class to teach on the specifics of tuning...So I went to bed

But it was only gonna get better when I woke up.

Fast forward to the next day, and after the tune day it was back to Pegasus' car to start on the E75. After fighting the E75/1100 combo a bit we got it sorted and went to the WOT portion of the fun. Timing map got locked down and then it was add the boost time.

Setting the AVCR to kill mode, we tried 1.5bar peak boost...good but not what we were looking for. 1.75, warmer. 1.91 okay this feels pretty good. repeated pulls trying to heatsoak something proved impossible. Between the quality of the ETS 3" core and the E75, intake temps stayed low. The header never even glowed and underhood temps were only about 25* above ambient. We had a spike to 1.98bar and while this was fun we hit a little knock (5 counts) intermittently so we turned it back down to avoid problems.

After a bit, we stopped logging the car and spent more timing smoothing the boost curve, the last log I have the car showed it making an estimated 435whp. Please keep in mind that was with a minimal of tuning and not anywhere near the boost at redline that we ran that night. Plain and simple we ran out of time before I had to come home. This car rips and with a little more time spent tuning, I hope to see it deep into the elevens.

Simply said:

ETS makes an awesome product at an affordable price with performance in every box.

I look forward to tuning many more of these kits and the other variations as well.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Mar 10, 2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great review!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Glad you made it back in one piece to tune all of our cars... Excellent REVIEW to say the least.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

A couple of things I should point out for those that are interested in more specifics of this kit as I observed:

Peak boost was always at the same RPM or within a few hundred, the EBC was very good about keeping it quick.

There were some minor issues as mentioned with the AVCR and we didnt see very high boost at redline for the fuel.

The tune was conservative because of the time frame and the idea that the boost would be fixed. I did leave some secret sauce in the map for when that happens though.

The boost ramped up so fast I was worried about the clutch to be honest. When I get a chance and get caught up on some sleep, I will post some logs of the spool.

AFR's were 11.3-11.4 at redline (room to move)

Timing was down about 6* from where it could be on E85 (or better) since this was E75.

The 435whp was at about 23.5psi on E75 with 14* of timing at 7500 rpm with ambient temps about 40*

I still think ETS builds a helluva kit, and I want to tune more of them.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Mar 10, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Post up a DYNO!!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
Post up a DYNO!!
Sorry, I thought I mentioned that this was estimated hp. It is within 2hp of Drift Office's Dyno though. We didnt have enough cars for a good dyno tune day and the class.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

I would like to thank JB for the excellent tunes and the time he took to show me a few tricks of the trade. There is a lot more WHP to made with this setup. I love the way this turbo spools. It is very daily driveable! Now I just need to get my clutch installed and start a little tweaking to get some more out of her. I still have an aquamist HSF-5 kit sitting in the trunk begging to be used . If only we had more time... We could have ran meth/water on pump and made some really nasty numbers with that as well.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Glad to see a review of a turbo kit done from a tuners perspective! When is the car going to see the track?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure. Our local track shut down and is now under new management so it will probably be a while.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks for the review JB! We very much appreciate the time invested

Originally Posted by Pegasus
I would like to thank JB for the excellent tunes and the time he took to show me a few tricks of the trade. There is a lot more WHP to made with this setup. I love the way this turbo spools. It is very daily driveable! Now I just need to get my clutch installed and start a little tweaking to get some more out of her. I still have an aquamist HSF-5 kit sitting in the trunk begging to be used . If only we had more time... We could have ran meth/water on pump and made some really nasty numbers with that as well.
Sounds like a good time to me Keep us posted on your results!

I have the same kit (T3 58mm) and must agree with everything posted..it's really a blast to drive on the street! If anyone would like driving impressions on this kit feel free to ask and I'll paint the picture as best I can

Tom
Old Mar 11, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats my old kit lol
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Tom,

You are more than welcome and I look forward to being able to do more of these reviews in the future. Its nice to see the owners reviews as well, but I think that for those of that want to know what they will have to work with when they tune, a review from our angle is nice too.

Still looking to get caught up, but the boost logs will be up when I get things under control. I think everyone will be surprised how fast these spool when they see it.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

awesome review...i <3 my ETS 57 trim.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

tom i thought u had a t3 61mm on your car? 58 looking good like always jb thanks for the info as always.

sicksilver. when do u typically get to 24psi?
never mind tom and sicksilver looked in another ets thread and found my answers.thanks

Last edited by purevibez; Mar 12, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
And here I was just about to reply For the rest of the people reading, I switched from my top end monster T4 35R kit to a T3 58mm kit several months ago. Loving this turbo!!!

Tom

Quick Reply: The 58 trim. A tuner's perspective