Notices
ExtremeTurboSystems.com – WA Custom Intercoolers, Intercooler Kits, Turbo Kits and Performance Parts. [Visit Site]

My ETS 4.5" FMIC !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh SNAP!

That is huge. Very hardcore. Makes me feel like my 4 inch is too small for my twin scroll HTA35r.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Man I need a new intercooler.

Tom send me a FMIC already.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdEvolution8
So, I'm guessing this IS a stock turbo setup? Running a 4.5?

Damn, I was speaking to Tom about a 3.5 for stock, wow.
I wanna see the difference in pressure drop from a 3.5 to a 4.5. If its a HUGE difference and it will work for stock setup, then I might just get the 4.5.

Also, what's the GM MAF? I'm kinda new to that, sorry if i'm newbie

Tom, wanna chime in?

p.s. Sick *** Tial
The pressure drop reduction going from a 3.5" to 4" or larger intercooler on a stock turbo will be insignificant because even with the 3.5" you're no where near the flow limits of the intercooler, and pressure drop will be VERY low across the core in that case.

The GM MAF and MAF Translator allow the elimination of the factory MAF sensor in the intake and enable you to run a full 3" diameter GM MAF sensor in "blow-through" configuration in the intercooler piping. The MAF Translator actually has tuning for base, idle, mid and WOT fuel settings right on the box (though most tuners from what I've seen find it easier to leave that set as factory and tune with ECUflash) and you can set it up for basically any injector size if you do choose to use it for fuel tuning. It is most popular in the DSM arena where it's the inexpensive way to get a primary tuning tool for some seriously fast cars where ECU flashing is not an option.

Tom
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fathouse
Man I need a new intercooler.

Tom send me a FMIC already.
One is just a few shillings away from your front door

Tom
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Old Aug 5, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
The pressure drop reduction going from a 3.5" to 4" or larger intercooler on a stock turbo will be insignificant because even with the 3.5" you're no where near the flow limits of the intercooler, and pressure drop will be VERY low across the core in that case.

The GM MAF and MAF Translator allow the elimination of the factory MAF sensor in the intake and enable you to run a full 3" diameter GM MAF sensor in "blow-through" configuration in the intercooler piping. The MAF Translator actually has tuning for base, idle, mid and WOT fuel settings right on the box (though most tuners from what I've seen find it easier to leave that set as factory and tune with ECUflash) and you can set it up for basically any injector size if you do choose to use it for fuel tuning. It is most popular in the DSM arena where it's the inexpensive way to get a primary tuning tool for some seriously fast cars where ECU flashing is not an option.

Tom
So basically in a nutshell, the 3.5 would be perfect for stock turbo and even if I wanted to go to a bigger turbo setup, it would still be perfect.

So basically a no to the 4inch
Old Aug 5, 2008, 04:58 PM
Former Sponsor

You can take that as you will, but that's not the best Cliff's Notes answer for those who are doing research. The only reasons not to go 4" would be the slightly higher price, and the fact that you will need to space the bumper beam away from the studs with a 3/16" washer to get it reinstalled. We offer the smaller intercoolers because they perform great for the lower airflow requirements and are a great value, not because a smaller intercooler will outperform a 4" core. While the difference will be small as I mentioned, it's never a bad thing to have the highest flowing and most efficient intercooler possible installed.

Tom
Old Aug 5, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you Tom, I appreciate your input on it and it's def making me think on which I would like to purchase...

I just didn't want to rush into anything and not be happy afterwards.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Nelson

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

badas$.....
Old Aug 8, 2008, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
You can take that as you will, but that's not the best Cliff's Notes answer for those who are doing research. The only reasons not to go 4" would be the slightly higher price, and the fact that you will need to space the bumper beam away from the studs with a 3/16" washer to get it reinstalled. We offer the smaller intercoolers because they perform great for the lower airflow requirements and are a great value, not because a smaller intercooler will outperform a 4" core. While the difference will be small as I mentioned, it's never a bad thing to have the highest flowing and most efficient intercooler possible installed.

Tom
tom i was wondering if you pressure check these units before shipping?? The reason why i ask, after we got the car back together you can hear a leak somewhere in the system right before boost starts. Its almost like the dentist drill sound but goes away once the intake takes over with sound??