Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.
View Poll Results: How much better will the EVO IX be over the EVO VIII?
A drastic improvement (meaning the EVO IX is pretty much better in every way over the EVO VIII)
19.54%
A moderate improvement (it's better in only some ways)
70.53%
No improvement at all
9.93%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

EVO IX vs. EVO VIII

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now....if it's gonna be exactly the same as what they send us...that i do not know.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 04:15 PM

they are not releasing it til march 3 though...my brother just got to see showroom pieces.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I really don't see where any can say that the EVO IX will only be a slight improvement over the EVO VIII. It seems to me to be better in every or almost every single category. If all goes well then the EVO IX should have more power and overall better performance, the exterior styling is better, and the interior is much improved over the EVO VIII (the seats are to die for). Increased top end performance, along with better low end power, making this EVO much easier to live with. Just to top things off, the EVO IX should have getter mpg. I remember doing a poll on options people would like to see on the EVO IX, and almost every thing people wanted is on this new EVO, to me that's pretty drastic.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

did they give the IX the TME turbo with the titanium wheel and 10.5 housing basically?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Have specifications been released for the US version of the IX or are you all talking about the Japanese version? If it is the Japanese version then it should really be compared with the Japanese VIII, or even the VIII MR.

Compared to the Japanese VIII MR the IX has very little different as far as the cars performance goes. The power and torque are the same, 206kW and 400Nm unless you get the new magnesium turbo which makes 407Nm, but the torque comes in 500rpm lower and the power and torque curves are slightly better. The drivetrain is the same for the 6 speed but the 5 speed is slightly stronger and with a different top gear ratio. The suspension is the same but with slightly lower springs at the back. The body is slitghly revised and might provide better aerodynamics and cooling.

That is about all I can see that has changed and doesn't amount to a huge difference.

The interior now has the leather/Alcantara seats and aluminium "sports" pedals as well as a few other minor changes.

Over the Evolution VIII it might be a good improvement, compared to the MR though it is not much.

Aston
Old Mar 4, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by astondg
That is about all I can see that has changed and doesn't amount to a huge difference.

Aston
exactly -
moderate , not much change

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=125882
Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
THey changed the compressor wheel, not the turbine wheel. The turbine keeps the ti, but the compressor is now made out of magnesium. I would love to see a magnesium turbine wheel, as soome people have suggested. What a fireworks show that would be...

THere are also rumors that the US will receive a 2.4 liter motor (with MIVEC). THese are only rumors at this point, however. See the Evo IX thread on SoCalEvo.Net for more info (it's in the general area).
Old Mar 4, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atlvalet
See the Evo IX thread on SoCalEvo.Net for more info (it's in the general area).
thanks , i will check it out
Old Mar 5, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

is still a sweet new evo,...every iteration something different, still love my 8 though since we all mod like nutz in here anyway... 02 cents
Old Mar 5, 2005, 08:48 AM

I might try to get the IX in a few years used after the X comes out and keep that car mostly stock and keep the VIII for the mod bug...

Chris
Old Mar 5, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with most everyone else in here, a little better but not a whole lot. I would be hard pressed to trade in my VIII for one, but who knows?
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

better fuel economy-MIVEC and the S AYC. i think thats a whole lot of improvement.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Come on people! you are not reading the the US release. You all did the same thing when the MR came out. The black tailamps, the black headlamps, the new seats, the tinted windows...and so on. And guess what.....we didn't get it. Don't expect our seats to be really any different. We won't get SAYC most likely.....till the 10 anyway. You all are getting your hopes up. The main difference that I have been told is, and I do work for mitsu, that it is going to be 300HP, and it is NOT going to be MIVEC. Don't take this as gospel but this is from a guy that has seen the US spec evo already and all the specs behind it. The 9, like stated before is still the CT9A chassis....there is not going to be anything out of the ordinary that is different that is performance oriented that you couldn't get in the previous models.

Remember the value of the dollar sucks right now, expect the GT model(if that is what they call it here) to be at or more than the MR.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by favre95
Come on people! you are not reading the the US release. You all did the same thing when the MR came out. The black tailamps, the black headlamps, the new seats, the tinted windows...and so on. And guess what.....we didn't get it. Don't expect our seats to be really any different. We won't get SAYC most likely.....till the 10 anyway. You all are getting your hopes up. The main difference that I have been told is, and I do work for mitsu, that it is going to be 300HP, and it is NOT going to be MIVEC. Don't take this as gospel but this is from a guy that has seen the US spec evo already and all the specs behind it. The 9, like stated before is still the CT9A chassis....there is not going to be anything out of the ordinary that is different that is performance oriented that you couldn't get in the previous models.

Remember the value of the dollar sucks right now, expect the GT model(if that is what they call it here) to be at or more than the MR.
well said.. everyone is getting their hopes up, but think about what the US shores are going to get.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by favre95

Wow, you work for Mitsubishi and you get so much wrong information, that's too bad. U.S. specs get announced at the New York Auto Show, which I believe is this month.

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs. EVO VIII