Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ppl, im new on the forum. My name is Buri and im from melbourne/australia. I drive my dad's e46 m3 but look forward to buying an evo 8 or 9 for myself. The Evo 9 got released in japan 4 months ago. I have no idea when it will get down here but im sure its not before 2006. The mivec engine should improve the modifications and stability of the evo as it produces much more torque and downforce as it got a facelift and suspension upgrades. The bad thing is that, euro spec and aus spec gets 5 speed. Not sure about US. By the way i would just like to add that the evo's that come down here, would have a little less power than jap spec as aus spec use only 98 octane and 10 octane makes a lot of difference in power. ( japan is 110 or something close to that). Nice too meet you all. Regards...
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

110 octane?!? u serious? racing or reg fuel? that's unheard of... at least from where i'm from in cali lol
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmmmm this thread is exactly like another thread that was like over 5 pages long. In my opinion, it will only help tuning. All it does is adjust valve TIMING not lift/duration. In other words, the cam profiles are not any different, it's just like having an adjustable cam gear on the intake cam, and at a certain rpm when the valve timing could use a little adjustment, instead of jumping out of your car at 5K rpm and putting your cam gear from +0 to +2, it does it automagically for you. Simple as that. Good fuel economy might be a side effect, but the main reason to do this is broader torque curve, which is why they can put a bigger turbo on it.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by SlyEvo
110 octane?!? u serious? racing or reg fuel? that's unheard of... at least from where i'm from in cali lol

Yes sly evo, aus uses 98 octane for the evo and back in japan its like 110. Very ridicolous. Some people think that when they get their euro versions, they think they have less power but its really the same engine and dna. Absolutely nothing is different than the one's in japan but the transmission. If you want to get the same power as the japs do, use a higher rated fuel. Simple. The only disadvantage overall with the car is the 6 speed transmission. That's it. So, for those that worry about their evo's having 10 or 11 kw less, you have nothing to worry about. It's the same thing, but with 5 speed. By the way, when the evo 9 comes out here, im thinking of actually importing a jap spec from japan under my dad's friend, who owns a car gallery and often does importing from japan. I wonder if it would be worth it to import it, where you can get the same thing but 5spd version from here. No clue.... Any ideas???
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Kinda off-topic but I saw my first Evo IX yesterday!! Silver, don't know if it was GSR or GT but it was cool either way. Even had a chick driving it.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:41 AM

The US spec MR model gets a 6 speed transmission.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by 04MIVECRalliart
The US spec MR model gets a 6 speed transmission.
We are aware of that thanks, but im talking about GSR.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 05:55 AM
Account Disabled

in japan all models are available with a 6 speed. that's why the RS is the fastest model there. they also get the AYC controller, and they don't have the rev limiter on first gear. i saw a jdm stock 03 RS 6mt run a 12.88 400m. without the rev limiter on 1st a stock MR would likely hit close to that mark instead of low 13's. MIVEC shouldn't make the thing any less moddable (if that's a word) it's just like VTEC in honda engines. if anything it'll make the engine respond better to modifications. vtec motors love turbos and centrifugal superchargers because they usually start their real big kick around the time vtec kicks in. i don't see what all the fuss and speculation about mivec is. it's not a new concept in the tuning world. it's just new to the EVO. the current mods for the old EVO motor may not work for the mivec equipped engine, but guess what? aftermarket companies are gonna make new products to work for it, just like they do with everything else. the reason a salesperson is going to tell you that it will be harder to mod, besides the fact that he doesn't know anything, is because dealerships don't like modified vehicles. they don't like working on them, they don't like taking them on trade, and most people working their don't want to see modified cars. the new engine is a good thing. mivec has already helped the engine gain 10hp in stock form. it's about time mitsu is catching on.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by mpower_m3
Yes sly evo, aus uses 98 octane for the evo and back in japan its like 110. Very ridicolous. Some people think that when they get their euro versions, they think they have less power but its really the same engine and dna. Absolutely nothing is different than the one's in japan but the transmission. If you want to get the same power as the japs do, use a higher rated fuel. Simple. The only disadvantage overall with the car is the 6 speed transmission. That's it. So, for those that worry about their evo's having 10 or 11 kw less, you have nothing to worry about. It's the same thing, but with 5 speed. By the way, when the evo 9 comes out here, im thinking of actually importing a jap spec from japan under my dad's friend, who owns a car gallery and often does importing from japan. I wonder if it would be worth it to import it, where you can get the same thing but 5spd version from here. No clue.... Any ideas???
You can't compare octanes in US and Japan. US Canada, and some other countrys use the average of RON, and MON. Japan, Europe, and some other countrys use the higher number, RON. It's twon different octane ratings.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
jeff,
dont get mad
just learn to read posts and if you have any comments on how something should be done better - keep them to yourself
unless asked
thanks

btw , i will try and be more precise on posts that i do for people outside of the ones that already get the point / understand
Thanks, I read and write very well, and I'll comment whenever I want. Veteran forum users would just heed the original advice and refer to post numbers. It's the foolproof way to direct someone precisely.
By the way, when you tell a person he's incorrect, it's polite to state why and to provide information to back up your claim. For example, if you don't get some of your pics from lancerregister, where do you find them? It's nice to know.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CG5TougeMaster
in japan all models are available with a 6 speed.
since when?
gsr is the only 6 speed
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
since when?
gsr is the only 6 speed
Well the 6speed is offered as a option on the other models.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

MIVEC shouldn't make the thing any less moddable (if that's a word) it's just like VTEC in honda engines. if anything it'll make the engine respond better to modifications. vtec motors love turbos and centrifugal superchargers because they usually start their real big kick around the time vtec kicks in. i don't see what all the fuss and speculation about mivec is. it's not a new concept in the tuning world. it's just new to the EVO.
thank god someone said it, i thought i was the only one thinking this...
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by availpunk9
You can't compare octanes in US and Japan. US Canada, and some other countrys use the average of RON, and MON. Japan, Europe, and some other countrys use the higher number, RON. It's twon different octane ratings.
Exactly. That's what im trying to say. They are 2 different octanes + japan's octane level is higher than aus's. People down here in aus only get a little power less than jap spec is because of the fuel. Nothing else. Im so looking forward to see 6 speed evo ix's here next year. Gotta have 6 speed.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:26 PM

in japan all models are available with a 6 speed. that's why the RS is the fastest model there. they also get the AYC controller, and they don't have the rev limiter on first gear. i saw a jdm stock 03 RS 6mt run a 12.88 400m. without the rev limiter on 1st a stock MR would likely hit close to that mark instead of low 13's. MIVEC shouldn't make the thing any less moddable (if that's a word) it's just like VTEC in honda engines. if anything it'll make the engine respond better to modifications. vtec motors love turbos and centrifugal superchargers because they usually start their real big kick around the time vtec kicks in. i don't see what all the fuss and speculation about mivec is. it's not a new concept in the tuning world. it's just new to the EVO. the current mods for the old EVO motor may not work for the mivec equipped engine, but guess what? aftermarket companies are gonna make new products to work for it, just like they do with everything else. the reason a salesperson is going to tell you that it will be harder to mod, besides the fact that he doesn't know anything, is because dealerships don't like modified vehicles. they don't like working on them, they don't like taking them on trade, and most people working their don't want to see modified cars. the new engine is a good thing. mivec has already helped the engine gain 10hp in stock form. it's about time mitsu is catching on.
Did ya see the test from best motoring dvd. Because i saw the same thing. Ages ago, i thought GSR's were the fastest back in japan but the actual thing that makes the RS quicker is the weight. It's inside is stripped down, weighs like 45-50kg's lighter than GSR. but i don't have a clue how GSR is still quicker around the track. I was impressed when i saw the evo 8 RS models running late 12's. Imagine the evo 9. It weigh's 7.5 kg's less than the evo 8 and its going to be much more quicker.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]