Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 6 speed is worth the extra money plan and simple. Anyone that is going to use their car in a real performance sence (not drag racing) realizes this. The six speed also holds more potential once the car is modded.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Evo 9 MR = MIVEC and ugly-*** front bumper. I think I'll pass. MIVEC = 10hp and 3tq? So what happens when you add cams? Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. No 9 for me, thank you.
your killin me man
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by S2peed
Ok Guys here's my opinion, the specs are out the MR is going to be $36,000 and the regular evo is going to be $31,000. The Main differencesbetween this two are the 6-speed tranny and bilstein shocks.

te MR got little things here and there like the HIDs and fodlights. I just dont see paying $5000 more for a 6-spped tranny and shocks that most people would convert to coilovers anyways. Do you have any idea what you can do with a evo with $5,000.

If the MR came with the S-AYC then that would justify the price but i just dont see it.

What you guys think?
First of all, you are bringing a topic that has been covered before. Anyway, a lot of people in this forum would rather have the difference of price betweenm the regular EVO8 and the MR and do whatever the heck they want with that money, mostlikely they end buying different rims, suspension and some engine mods.

I am not going to argue that perhaps spending that money(difference betweenm the regular evo 8 and MR) could be use more wisely and at your own custom configuration.

What I want to make clear here is that PLEASE if we are going to put the facts lets put them all, I am tired of same comments that the main difference is just the 6 speed and the suspension.

No , it is not like that, add this:

Forged aluminium BBS rims for better braking and better gas mileage
Vortex generator for superior down force and performance at high speed
Teflon coated shifter cable for better and faster shifting
MR Short throw shifter
MR accents( floor mats,pedals,insignias,shift knob)
Tripple gauge meter kit
HID stock
Aluminium roof
6 speed tranny (better gas mileage, less noise, wider driveability range)
Bilstein suspension (smoother rider yet more effective)

..And if you compare the MR with the 03 -04 you still get :

different turbo
ACD
LSD
overall 5hp and 10 more tq/lb

If you think that the MR is too pricey for what it is go ahead and get the RS, you will save $7000, then when is time to sell it don't try to regret and complaint that you did not get much on your trade in or you sell. The MR being a limited edition will always sell good, you get back what you paid...

Absolutely worth it to me however I would not mind getting a regular EVO and spend the difference on other stuff, it is your choice, both choices are good.

my .2c

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Aug 16, 2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

its like saying the FQ-400 is a waste of money because it costs about $90,000 when you can buy a MR for $35,000 and do $55,000 worth of mods and get it faster than FQ-400
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

AWDriven did you notice any changes in shifting from either models? Great info by the way.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

any updates on exterior colors for IX MR's and GSR's?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 05:46 PM

Hmmm- I'm considering the MR over the GSR basically based on the paint color alone- I want the dark gray

And actually- I'd like a sunroof too...
Old Aug 16, 2005, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

There is NO resale value on an MR unless you find a good private party that wants one.

I know I just traded one in for a 2005 Apex Silver GSR....so for the people buying them because they are "rare" or "limited" and are expecting a better resale on them to a dealer...don't count on it.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markeddy
There is NO resale value on an MR unless you find a good private party that wants one.

I know I just traded one in for a 2005 Apex Silver GSR....so for the people buying them because they are "rare" or "limited" and are expecting a better resale on them to a dealer...don't count on it.
how many miles did your MR have on it and what price did the dealer give you? if you don't mind me asking
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

11,850 miles, and I shopped around and got 3 trade-in values from as little as $24,500 $25,000, and $27,000 (tentatively) from Medina Mitsubishi on a trade-in for a 2005 BR350 with no final #'s determined on that high offer.

That's not very good for a car that is litterally going for $36k (FULL MSRP) new at 99% of the dealerships.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

I could see a $5-7k depreciation off MSRP but not $11,500+ for a literally new vehicle.

Of course I did have all the documentation, service history, stock parts, on a MR that had a Buschur Stage 2 kit on it that ran great.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

The IX MR isn't a limited production run like the VIII MR was (supposedly only around 1000 USDM VIII MRs were imported), so it isn't going to have any additional rarity value. Buy the IX only if you want the additional features, such as 6 speed tranny, Bilstein suspension etc. (it's not available with a sunroof or leather BTW).
Old Aug 17, 2005, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Sum of all parts once again

if you guys are going to track / Race the car, then get the RS that is why the RS exists. after all that has the Aluminum roof.
for the rest of us who want either the straigh IX or the IX MR
once again it deepends on what your ultimate goal is.
I personally don't want to modify the crap out of my car so I too will get the IX MR, yes I would like leather and a sun roof and the better sound system but I am willing to sacrifice these for the 6 speed gear box, the Bilstein shocks, and the BBS rims. The rims alone if you were to buy from the dealer would probably cost $800 a piece then add the $200 per tire you are looking at $4000 straight away that to me justifies the cost of getting the MR.
before anyone flames me for the wheels, yes I know there are other rims out there and different tires but there are only a few rims that look good on the car, and the Yoko's are good tires, when the time comes to change them I would either stay with Yoko's or get the BF goodrich TDA's.
The only mods I plan on doing to the car are install Navigation HU,and other stereo components, install eibach springs, and install K&N drop in filter, Titanium exhaust and a reflash and that is it.
So you have to look at the whole picture and not the sum of the parts
Old Aug 17, 2005, 06:15 AM

RS for track what are you talking about maybe drag not road racing or mountian runs. RS was designed to be a cheap EVO not faster, Mitsubishi NA just marketed the car incorrectly.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2peed
OK guys I am NOT comparing EVO 8 and EVO 9.

What I am comparing is the Regular Evo 9 with the EVO 9 MR

I am planning to buy a Evo 9, I just dont see paying the extra 5K for a 6-speed and shocks.
didn't we already go over all of this when the 05 MR came out?

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]