Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
lil'evil_evo- I posted it on here and kept my fingered crossed
Old Aug 17, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck if it's not sold already
Old Aug 18, 2005, 05:25 AM

Samdiver74 I dont know of anyone running a RS as a base model saying it is better in Japan. Like I said before the RS 5 speed is marketed as a cheap version of the EVO.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDriven
Well I drove an EVO IX at the track today. It was part of the press release for the new Mitsu Truck. Which Sucks!

They also had EVO IX's for the journos to drive on track as well as an autoX area. As one of three driving instructors for the track portion I pretty much had free reign to drive the cars as much as I wanted. We had all 3 EVOs. MR, RS and the GSR (?). So heres my take.

First off I've never driven an VIII, so I have nothing but an STi to compare it to.

I do join the masses that say "buy a EVO if your going to track it quite a bit, buy an STi if its your daily driver". Comparing stock for stock, the EVO is better handling than the STi. Turn in is more precise, understeer, while still present is vastly reduced. Brakes are pretty much the same, but there seems to be a bit more pedal travel than in the STi. Keep in mind I was driving a pre-production unit with original fluid. So I would take that with a grain of salt. The tires I like better than the Bridgestones, they didn't get nearly as greasy under the same conditions. But then again they were new this AM. I don't remember what mine were like when new. IMO the STi has better power delivery. More torque down low, the EVO you need to rev to get the power out. But once it spools, it puts out till redline.

Driving the GSR and MR were pretty much the same on track, with the MR a tad softer. Hopping into the RS was altogether different. First off it felt like there was 25hp more. The lighter weight was very noticable. Much more nimble. I swear it feels like more than 120lbs less. Crisper turn-in, better braking, harder acceleration out of the corners. I was suprised at how different it was. But it was pretty stiff driving around the paddock. I don't think I'd want it on the street every day.

Interior was better than expected. The drivers seats don't get much better. I want them in my STi. Leather bolsters with suede seating. The rears are the same. No more of that crappy cloth. I do like the dash and center console on the STi better. The RS now has A/C standard.

While it may sound like I favor the EVO over the STi, thats not the case. Kind of. IMO they're even. It all comes down to how your gonna use it. Would I get an EVO? Yes, but right now the STi is the better choice for me. Maybe when the EVO X comes out that'll change.

To add to the rear wing discussions, Mitsu now has a downforce package that adds a wickerbill to the rear spoiler and a front airdam to the front. The wickerbill was only about 3/8" tall. The cars we had didn't get the front airdam, but had the wickerbill. It caused enough downforce (or anti-lift) in the back that the cars had a big push at speed. The wickerbill was removed and the push went away. Go figure.

Sweet post man! I wonder if missing front airdam, once installed, will help balance out the "wickerbill" (or gurney lip as some call it,) enough to make a difference with the pushing issue?!
Old Aug 18, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Rear Spoiler

While we are on the subject of the IX rear spoiler, I found out today that only the Horizontal section is Carbon Fibre, and it is hollow at that.
Apparently the Side supports are now ABS as apposed to the whole spoiler being Carbon like on the VIII.
Just a little new info
oh and the IX is going to use longer spark plugs, to help keep temperatures down around the plug area on the head.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:07 PM

what the base price on these
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

I think it's $500 more then the evo 8 base price was for each trim level
Old Aug 21, 2005, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Evo IX dyno run

See thread for dynochart and short video
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11839

Last edited by skiracer; Aug 21, 2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are some good numbers

correct me if i am wrong , but doesnt a stock 05 evo 8 dyno around 230hp / 235t
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:08 PM

sweet
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:42 PM

lancer evos in general?

hey with the evo 8 did the mr come with sun roof? what is the differences between the models? i will be buying a evo 9 mr but was hoping i can get a sunroof on it too but i noticed the roof is lightened up so it wont be able to support a sunroof/moonroof.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mr cannot support the sunroof or any roof rack because its made out of aluminum
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/j...jsp?t=exterior
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
those are some good numbers

correct me if i am wrong , but doesnt a stock 05 evo 8 dyno around 230hp / 235t

It depends. I saw a couple evo's get dyno'd up in WA with about 240whp. Colder climates = denser air = more horses...

Heh, I should see what one pulls down up here in AK close to winter time.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

was this a us spec evo ix?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 07:45 AM

Looks like a us spec EVO IX MR.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]