Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2006, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I highly doubt the SAYC will come to the US, and not because of the evaporative canister. It's the combination of the 10 year powertrain and 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. SAYC requires a fluid change every 1K or so miles, which is far more often than the average american driver is willing to do. If you don't do this, the clutch packs will wear, which results in a very expensive repair. If the Evo Wagon (which has no SAYC) can lap a race track within a second of a GSR sedan, do we really need it? I know that the wagon has an extra 150 lbs in the rear which supposedly improves rear traction, but it's also 150 lbs, which affects acceleration quite a bit. Since it's only within a second of the other car, I assume that SAYC's effect is not that pronounced. Personally, I'd rather have a warranty than SAYC.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RedV
Any hard information as to whether there will actually be an '07 IX? My wife wants me to wait until '07 to get an IX. Plus I want to get an IX before the X comes out and is priced beyond my budget (which I'm thinking it will be).

If the '06 is the last 4G63 EVO I'm gonna start the wheels turning for an EVO this summer. If there will be an '07 IX or "IX.5" then I will feel better about waiting.

Anyone with the inside info?
Buy now while they're still available!
Old Feb 11, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Im leary of what the X is going to offer. The super success of the Lancer platform is a hard thing to follow. Not saying they'd sell us short....but I agree to whomever said it was a good idea to wait until the 2nd year of the production to jump in on it. Brand new chassis, tranny, motor....I mean...thats....HUGE....maybe not so many good changes on the way. Only time will tell.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:49 AM
FLK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nsnguyen
I highly doubt the SAYC will come to the US, and not because of the evaporative canister. It's the combination of the 10 year powertrain and 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. SAYC requires a fluid change every 1K or so miles, which is far more often than the average american driver is willing to do. If you don't do this, the clutch packs will wear, which results in a very expensive repair. If the Evo Wagon (which has no SAYC) can lap a race track within a second of a GSR sedan, do we really need it? I know that the wagon has an extra 150 lbs in the rear which supposedly improves rear traction, but it's also 150 lbs, which affects acceleration quite a bit. Since it's only within a second of the other car, I assume that SAYC's effect is not that pronounced. Personally, I'd rather have a warranty than SAYC.
AYC does require more maintenance, that's for sure. But after owning a '97GVR4 Type-S with AYC for 2 years, i'm really looking forward to the EvoX having one, especially if it's a component in SAWC.

Let's talk about the benefits first. It is superior to LSD, it's ultimately safer, it reduces understeer, it gives the driver more confidence when approaching the car's limits, and it can be disabled anytime. The feeling of taking a long hairpin at 60mph is fantastic.
There's a dash indicator with 3 level AYC warning so the car tells you how hard you're pushing the system. If you get to 3 you will be ****ting your pants from the G's; or you are at the track. An AYC equipped car will corner faster and have much better turn-in hands down, as shown in the EvoX video.

The cons are what you mentioned, I changed my AYC Differential and AYC Reservoir oil at every 4,000 miles or every 4 months along with the engine oil. The Transfer Box oil needs a change every 45,000 miles or roughly 5 years. So it's not that bad at all.
If you keep up the maintenance the system will not fail, you can do all the oils yourself. The most common problems I have seen my friends with are failing AYC switches, which cost them ~$150. Failing pumps and seizures are rare. Keep in mind though that my AYC technology is over a decade old. When the EvoX comes out it will have AYC2, or SAYC so it should be less hassle and perform better.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

does this mean the evo IX is going to be rare?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

For those of you holding out for the X.....you are either a warrantee freek or you dont like to tune, because the new motor is going to be ALL ALUMINUM! Which of course means, crank up the boost, and by-by motor! I'll have to admit, the body style is pretty sick, but isn't there a dual exhaust (more weight)? AAAAAAAAAAND they are talking about a 6 speed paddle-matic with automatic mode or some BS. My 2c, dont waste your time, grab a IX and start autocrossing!
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:37 AM
FLK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by broddey
For those of you holding out for the X.....you are either a warrantee freek or you dont like to tune, because the new motor is going to be ALL ALUMINUM! Which of course means, crank up the boost, and by-by motor! I'll have to admit, the body style is pretty sick, but isn't there a dual exhaust (more weight)? AAAAAAAAAAND they are talking about a 6 speed paddle-matic with automatic mode or some BS. My 2c, dont waste your time, grab a IX and start autocrossing!
This is the style of thinking when aluminum motors first came out a Long time ago. It had problems with weakness and melting. I guess it sort of stuck, but let's all fast forward to present time already.

Is the EvoX going to have a forged aluminum block? If it does, that's over 35% stronger than cast iron, lighter, and makes more power.
My 2c, test drive it before you assume anything.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

That is sort of an ignorant statement, the evos have always been evolving which means they are getting better and better. Do you think Mitsu would compromise a goog thing and lose his customer base by producing their top of the line car that is not on par or faster than a current evo IX?

A lighter engine on the nose sounds good to me. That's already a plus in the handling department.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Topfuel dragsters use forged aluminum blocks so they must be pretty strong

"Engine: Supercharged 500 cubic inch TFX Forged Aluminum hemi V-8 block"
http://www.kennybernstein.com/
Old Feb 11, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like discussion time. I'll make a new thread.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Dude that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Honda motors with Ductile iron sleeves can make over 1000hp. You don't think an aluminum block turbo 300+ hp car isn't gonna have that standard? LOL interesting....
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Aluminum honda motors blow because of the piston rods and rings.
the blocks are quite strong though. They need iron sleeves though for hi boost and/or high rpms. block guards are pretty cheap for that.

I heard the IX won't have the MR edition next year. Unless they're coming out with the X. Thats what the mitsu dude told me when i went there tryign to trade up for the last white IX MR.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
Aluminum honda motors blow because of the piston rods and rings.
the blocks are quite strong though. They need iron sleeves though for hi boost and/or high rpms. block guards are pretty cheap for that.

I heard the IX won't have the MR edition next year. Unless they're coming out with the X. Thats what the mitsu dude told me when i went there tryign to trade up for the last white IX MR.
Of course they would blow as a result of rods/pistons if you turbo'ed them stock. If you put forged internals in and yes sleeve the block then you're golden. I know a few things bout the honda motors. My civic made 471wHP, and wow it had an aluminum block!

Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

For better or for worse, the X is going to be significantly different from the IX and the rest of the previous models.

I would not be surprised if this does not sit well with many evo enthusiasts and owners who like the evos as they are. I suspect if there is going to be a 9.5, we'll likely see it used as an interim car to test the reaction to a number of changes they have planned.

A while back there was an Evo VII GT-A the only evo with automatic transmission. I think the purpose of this is to see how the market (Japan mainly) would respond to autoboxes and I don't think this came out too well as when the evo was finally offerred in the US, the auto box was not an option. In fact, I would say that the introduction of the GT-A was in preparation for the US market where the majority of cars have auto boxes.

I think the 9.5 will serve a similar purpose. Sadly I don't think there will be a different engine in there. Perhaps some changes in the tranny/drivetrain/ACD/AYC - an auto again or hopefully a working sequentiual. May be some clever suspension. Perhaps - God forbid - a better interior.

From all the stuff I've read (lot that much, admittedly) it looks like Mitsu are looking at making the X a purpose built luxuey sports car. Something like a smaller 3000GTO, I guess. If this is the way they want to go, I think it's the wrong way. If they want to make a 3000GTO replacement, go ahead, but they should leave the evo formular alone.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
I think the 9.5 will serve a similar purpose. Sadly I don't think there will be a different engine in there. Perhaps some changes in the tranny/drivetrain/ACD/AYC - an auto again or hopefully a working sequentiual. May be some clever suspension. Perhaps - God forbid - a better interior.

From all the stuff I've read (lot that much, admittedly) it looks like Mitsu are looking at making the X a purpose built luxuey sports car. Something like a smaller 3000GTO, I guess. If this is the way they want to go, I think it's the wrong way. If they want to make a 3000GTO replacement, go ahead, but they should leave the evo formular alone.
I don't get you all saying the 9.5. There is not going to be a 9.5 The IX is out until the X. Just like the VIII was out for 3 yrs. Also like I said, my Mitsu rep told me the X is due out next year as an 07. So like I said, there will be no 9.5 and probabably won't be any 07 IX.

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution IX, SE, 9.5 Editions: Photos, News, Reviews, etc...[MERGED]